Page 74 of 74 First ... 24647071727374
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Teaching the aspiring grappling martial artists the basics of gymnastics has many advantages.
    Wrestling and gymnastics are often taught together to children,
    or gymnastics instruction classically would precede wrestling instruction.
    So, when I see martial arts that seem to have strong gymnastic or acrobatic training,
    such as capoeira, or perhaps wushu
    (I don't really know anything about wushu other than watching demonstration videos where it seems to be acrobatic),
    I do not look down on them in the slightest.
    In fact, I suspect I should put my own kids in some gymnastic or acrobatic training
    to complement the wrestling/judo/boxing/shooting fundamental instruction that I give them.
    I've been trying to find a gymnastics coach to work with for the judo team. I don't know how to properly spot people or the safe progressions for basic things. We do have some agility and tumbling stuff we do that is probably borderline gymnastics, but not full on floor exercise level stuff.

Partner and solo acrobatics would be good as well.

Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping, into the future...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Most Useless Martial Art

The post about the Yama-Zuki mountain punch made me think... What is the strangest or most upsurd martial art or technique you can think of? Any pics or videos would be great

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by richardmlldk View Post
    The post about the Yama-Zuki mountain punch made me think... What is the strangest or most upsurd martial art or technique you can think of? Any pics or videos would be great
    I believe there is already a thread for worst/useless techniques.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo, Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think i found a noteworthy contender: Zimenquan.

Its a southern shaolin style (apparently) it's got 18 core movements, and the one teacher I know who does it has mentioned some lineages have no forms and others have about 3 (Originally it was 1 and then it got divided up apparently)

It focuses a lot on iron palm, because from what I understand it focuses almost exclusive on various finger strikes and qin na... I dont think I've come across a style so cripplingly overspecialized before. I've seen the first form and it has 14 finger strikes and 2 punches thrown in (which are set ups for guess what, finger strikes).

I dont see anyone fighting with this on it's own, even if it's been called a 'Dim Mak' style

Style
    Taekwondo/Hapkido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my grand master was in the south korean army for quite some time before he started teaching tekwondo and hapkido.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo, Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_tys55 View Post
    my grand master was in the south korean army for quite some time before he started teaching tekwondo and hapkido.
    does he describe the military training and conditioning the soldiers had? It better not be that board breaking shite I see online in the camo uniforms

Style
    Taekwondo/Hapkido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    does he describe the military training and conditioning the soldiers had? It better not be that board breaking shite I see online in the camo uniforms
    No we don't wear camo we wear the "dobok"and as for the conditioning, he doesn't say much about it

Page 74 of 74 First ... 24647071727374