Page 73 of 74 First ... 2363697071727374 Last

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't gone through the whole thread but has Freddies Modern Kung Fu been nominated as the worst martial art? (youtube him if you don't know it). He's proved how useless his art is by demonstrating how he would defeat other styles (youtube: Gun Vs MMA) by shooting an unarmed opponent not using his 'deadly no rules street survival kung fu' that he usually rants on about. Funny how his combat drills are nothing more than terribly done punches and unbalanced kick combo's. How is that more 'deadly' than MMA's 'sport fighting'? Oh, and men only 'stand up and fight' so remember to reminder you assiliant this when you're been attacked if you're using FMK for defense.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xstyle View Post
    Haven't gone through the whole thread but has Freddies Modern Kung Fu been nominated as the worst martial art? (youtube him if you don't know it). He's proved how useless his art is by demonstrating how he would defeat other styles (youtube: Gun Vs MMA) by shooting an unarmed opponent not using his 'deadly no rules street survival kung fu' that he usually rants on about. Funny how his combat drills are nothing more than terribly done punches and unbalanced kick combo's. How is that more 'deadly' than MMA's 'sport fighting'? Oh, and men only 'stand up and fight' so remember to reminder you assiliant this when you're been attacked if you're using FMK for defense.
    I'm sorry to disappoint you but he sounds positively Special Forces compared to Daw (aka Pasty Boy). Daw gets the gold medal........

Style
    Liu Seong Kuntao and Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

worst martial art

well the worst martial art I have ever taken with tech that wouldn't work in a fight would probably be Eagle Claw Kung Fu. I would nominate most Northern Chinese Kung Fu styles that are Long Fist based. its just seems to me that many of those arts are just 2 steps away from being Wushu. If they actually worked on attacks against punching, takedown defenses, and more sparring, then maybe those Northern Chinese style would work. I do think there is some merit to Northern Praying Mantis styles(7*, 8Step, Wah Lum), maybe Baji(even though I dont like Baji at all), Xingyi(theres merit, but I dont like Xingyi) and Baguazhang(i love Bagua) though. I also think that most Pentjack Silat is terrible. Arts like Mande Muda and Poekoelan Tjiminde suck and are super fancy/flowery. I took Poekoelan for a year, and while there was some stuff that was good, 3/4th of it sucked. There are a few Silat styles I would consider being Bukti Negara, some of Rudy Terlinden's stuff, and actual Cimande and Serak from Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. However, I prefer Kuntao to Silat any day of the week. I did Wing Chun, Moy Yat lineage, I it was terrible for me.

the arts I would not want to go into a fight using for me:

Northern Chinese Long Fist styles and variants
    Most Pentjack Silat (not all)
    Wing Chun (9.5 out of 10 schools are terrible)
    Aikido (only the Post WWII sucks, Pre WWII might have merit)
    Wushu Sport Tourny stuff
    ATA TKD
    other TKD(9 out of 10 schools suck)
    McDojo Krav Maga
    Capoeria
    Taijiquan (any other than the Chen Style)

Style
    Boxing/Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PittsKuntaoer View Post
    well the worst martial art I have ever taken with tech that wouldn't work in a fight would probably be Eagle Claw Kung Fu. I would nominate most Northern Chinese Kung Fu styles that are Long Fist based. its just seems to me that many of those arts are just 2 steps away from being Wushu. If they actually worked on attacks against punching, takedown defenses, and more sparring, then maybe those Northern Chinese style would work. I do think there is some merit to Northern Praying Mantis styles(7*, 8Step, Wah Lum), maybe Baji(even though I dont like Baji at all), Xingyi(theres merit, but I dont like Xingyi) and Baguazhang(i love Bagua) though. I also think that most Pentjack Silat is terrible. Arts like Mande Muda and Poekoelan Tjiminde suck and are super fancy/flowery. I took Poekoelan for a year, and while there was some stuff that was good, 3/4th of it sucked. There are a few Silat styles I would consider being Bukti Negara, some of Rudy Terlinden's stuff, and actual Cimande and Serak from Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. However, I prefer Kuntao to Silat any day of the week. I did Wing Chun, Moy Yat lineage, I it was terrible for me.

the arts I would not want to go into a fight using for me:

Northern Chinese Long Fist styles and variants
    Most Pentjack Silat (not all)
    Wing Chun (9.5 out of 10 schools are terrible)
    Aikido (only the Post WWII sucks, Pre WWII might have merit)
    Wushu Sport Tourny stuff
    ATA TKD
    other TKD(9 out of 10 schools suck)
    McDojo Krav Maga
    Capoeria
    Taijiquan (any other than the Chen Style)
    Honestly capoeira isn't that bad. There are videos of it being used to win MMA fights; there are no videos that I know of of Tai Chi winning MMA fights.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    Honestly capoeira isn't that bad. There are videos of it being used to win MMA fights; there are no videos that I know of of Tai Chi winning MMA fights.
    Teaching the aspiring grappling martial artists the basics of gymnastics has many advantages.
    Wrestling and gymnastics are often taught together to children,
    or gymnastics instruction classically would precede wrestling instruction.
    So, when I see martial arts that seem to have strong gymnastic or acrobatic training,
    such as capoeira, or perhaps wushu
    (I don't really know anything about wushu other than watching demonstration videos where it seems to be acrobatic),
    I do not look down on them in the slightest.
    In fact, I suspect I should put my own kids in some gymnastic or acrobatic training
    to complement the wrestling/judo/boxing/shooting fundamental instruction that I give them.

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will make the case to defend Silat as not the worst martial art ever, but still really really bad. I trained for sometime in Silat under an Inosanto affiliate. Warmups included a ton of yoga and general flexability work, because most of the seated Silat moves require a decent bit of hip flexibility and agility to make the silat look good. So at the very least if you started with no flexability and agility you'll acquire some.

Style
    Judo, Jujitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Teaching the aspiring grappling martial artists the basics of gymnastics has many advantages.
    So, when I see martial arts that seem to have strong gymnastic or acrobatic training,
    (I don't really know anything about wushu other than watching demonstration videos where it seems to be acrobatic),
    In fact, I suspect I should put my own kids in some gymnastic or acrobatic training
    to complement the wrestling/judo/boxing/shooting fundamental instruction that I give them.
    I generally agree with this sentiment. There is a lot to be gained from learning the art of athleticism. Its more than just hard physical work (which it is a lot of that), it's also a great deal of motor learning and focus. Especially when learned at a young age, the benefits of doing a martial art, or other activity, that is primarily athletic has long lasting benefits.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PittsKuntaoer View Post
    Capoeria
    In the year and a half that I did Capoeira, I can honestly say at no time did the instructor indicate, suggest or state that he was teaching a martial art/combat sport

Honestly I don't know why people include/view it as a martial art, I know (some) of its techniques can be applied to a martial setting, but the rules were explicitly no contact and anti-conflict, its more a form of gymnastics or ceremonial dance than a martial art.

Positive side is if you keep it up you get flexible, fit and coordinated, so it is beneficial in a sense for combat sports enthusiasts

Style
    Liu Seong Kuntao and Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Northern Chinese Long Fist styles are very acrobatic. I took Eagle Claw and most tech are based on Fanziquan. Fanzi has very acrobatic maneuvers to it. Lots of jumping, spinning jump kicks, cartwheels, and splits. Long Fist and its variants are just two steps away from being sport Wushu. Most of Wushu's routines are based off of Long Fist. Even their Nanquan routines are northern like. The Eagle Claw and Wah Lum kung fu are almost completely Wushu like. There was a 17yr old kid who was in my Eagle Claw school who was a gymnast of many years. He was the absolute best at doing the forms out of all the men. However, I would speculate that Northern Long Fist/Northern Shaolin stuff is not very useful for fighting whatsoever contrary to what my former Eagle Claw teacher thinks. I asked him if he was ever in a fight. He has never been in a fight and is completely delusional in that he thinks his flowery **** will work out there in the streets. My former Wah Lum teacher said that his style is no good for fighting and that Sanda/San Shou is the best chinese style for combat. He said Wah Lum is only good for being in good physical shape. At least that Wah Lum man was a realist.

A bodybuilding man like me being 6'4'' and 250lbs, its very hard for me to do Eagle Claw like its supposed to be. I can't do cartwheels, only round offs. Spinning jump kicks? I could do them poorly, but what the hell are they useful for? I can't do the splits or high kicks because of hip impingement. I told my teacher I had hip impingement, and said to modify the style. That would mean that 2/3rd or 3/4th of Eagle Claw/Fanziquan would have to be removed to do it, is what I told him. That pissed him off, so I said see you later, and started taking a southern Chinese style which uses lower shorter snappy kicks and mostly hand tech.

Pure gymnastics is the best. Its best to start gymnastics when you are very young and to keep at it through high school to be good at it. If I had a time machine, I would have put myself into gymnastics and judo at the same time back in 1985-86, instead of TKD/TSD.
    Last edited by PittsKuntaoer; 4/24/2016 8:35pm at .

Style
    Muay Thai / BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar Humbug View Post
    In the year and a half that I did Capoeira, I can honestly say at no time did the instructor indicate, suggest or state that he was teaching a martial art/combat sport

Honestly I don't know why people include/view it as a martial art, I know (some) of its techniques can be applied to a martial setting, but the rules were explicitly no contact and anti-conflict, its more a form of gymnastics or ceremonial dance than a martial art.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107750/

Page 73 of 74 First ... 2363697071727374 Last