Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 1:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Capoeira Angola

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    if you are fighting with 5 or 10 guys and if they are keen on fckn you up even a gun may not work.
    The example you gave doesn't mean ****.

Also can you please give a good example of "fight of capoeira"

I m not saying some guy who trains mma and makes some moves work in an mma match or something.
    I want to see some effective fighting of capoeira with no bs involved.
    Okay, I am telling what I have seen. Don't say five to ten, say two guys or three guys. Are you going to fall to floor on your back and try to arm bar one guy while his friend/friends kick a hole in your head or do something else. It is the training and application of the art/arts that you know and your physical condition that matters, not just because you train BJJ.

Necroyunus, I presume you practice "mixed martial arts" as you list both BJJ and Karate. Does that mean your BJJ is useless without Karate or are you trying to be a well rounded martial artist?

Tonuzaba, I would love to post video of myself sparring with someone, but who wants to see an old man with a bad knee, a worse knee, recurring bilateral sciatica and a host of other issues get his ass kicked (or not). Although we "play" the game of Capoeira, I do spar with other old (and some young) men who strike and grapple. In the past I have trained judo, jujitsu, kali, kickboxing and other arts. I do not claim Capoeira is the magic art that will defeat all others just by virtue of training in it. I say the same for the other arts. When I spar, I do not seperate the arts I trained as I dealing with an attack or defense. Whatever comes out comes out at what I hope is an appropriate time. So a video of me would be useless to determine anything but my present state of fight worthiness. When I find a video that I think is worthy of posting, I will do so.

What I tried to do in my post is point out that people who talk about Capoeira with only superficial knowledge gained through the internet or some other questionable means is B.S..

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spidy, do find and post videos, please.

You do realise you use two very old, tired and inconsistent arguments:

"I won't post a video of myself, because I am not a good representative of my art" -
    we can't seriously expect the Gracies, Emelianenkos, Sugar Rays or whoever of any given MA to come and post their videos here. They're already online mostly and a link would suffice.
    But anybody who does post a vdeo of themselves fighting/training seriously, at least shows his own "cojones" and instantly gets more respect by the Bullshido community.

"more attackers on the street means grappling is useless" -
    this one should be seriously punishable by law...
    Every time I read it, cheesy 80-ies MA flicks jump to mind - that's the only venue a single person can easily overcome a handful of determined or even armed attackers.

Forget it.

If you get jumped unexpectedly, a single person can KO you right away. If you get jumped by several people - REGARDLESS OF THE M.A. YOU TRAIN - you're practically f*cked even if you're Chuck Norris on patrol.

I respect you for training despite your - not stated - age and injuries, good that you enjoy it.

Just please try to use less regurgitated arguments and a calm aproach when somebody criticizes your favourite MA.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 9:46pm

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spidy View Post
    Okay, I am telling what I have seen. Don't say five to ten, say two guys or three guys. Are you going to fall to floor on your back and try to arm bar one guy while his friend/friends kick a hole in your head or do something else. It is the training and application of the art/arts that you know and your physical condition that matters, not just because you train BJJ.

Necroyunus, I presume you practice "mixed martial arts" as you list both BJJ and Karate. Does that mean your BJJ is useless without Karate or are you trying to be a well rounded martial artist?

Tonuzaba, I would love to post video of myself sparring with someone, but who wants to see an old man with a bad knee, a worse knee, recurring bilateral sciatica and a host of other issues get his ass kicked (or not). Although we "play" the game of Capoeira, I do spar with other old (and some young) men who strike and grapple. In the past I have trained judo, jujitsu, kali, kickboxing and other arts. I do not claim Capoeira is the magic art that will defeat all others just by virtue of training in it. I say the same for the other arts. When I spar, I do not seperate the arts I trained as I dealing with an attack or defense. Whatever comes out comes out at what I hope is an appropriate time. So a video of me would be useless to determine anything but my present state of fight worthiness. When I find a video that I think is worthy of posting, I will do so.

What I tried to do in my post is point out that people who talk about Capoeira with only superficial knowledge gained through the internet or some other questionable means is B.S..

You know what? you are right.

If I start to grapple with someone on the ground it is very possible that the second or third one can hit me.

Now I will give you a perfect secret.Do you know that If I do striking, they can still hit me too???? :occasion1

Dude its no video game like you start focusing on one enemy and the other one is waiting, and when you kill first the second one engages etc.

More than one enemy = trouble

Also, yes, BJJ is perfect for ground fighting. But I would hardly say its ONLY ground fighting.I dont know other gyms(it must be similar) but in every class we learn self defence or engaging,evading moves against a striker etc.
    Also my instructor also says "I m not telling you to take the guy to the ground or something if you are in a fight as the first choice on all times BUT if you do go there, you better know what your doing"

Believe me if you re comfortable when you are in grappling range, you are alot more safer than most of the MAists out there. If you know how to get close you also know how to NOT get close very well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 2:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    Spidy, do find and post videos, please.

You do realise you use two very old, tired and inconsistent arguments:

"I won't post a video of myself, because I am not a good representative of my art" -
    "more attackers on the street means grappling is useless"
    Just please try to use less regurgitated arguments and a calm aproach when somebody criticizes your favourite MA.
    Hmmm.... These are not my arguments, Tonuzaba.

1. I didn't say I wouldn't post a video (if I had one), I said nobody would want to see it. Soon as I can hire a videographer and find a worthy opponent, I will produce a vid that will make your eyes roll back into your head. Just don't hold your breath waiting for it. Posting a personal vid showing whether I can or cannot tussle with a grappler is useless in this context.

2. Calm down cowboy. You need to read what I wrote and not give a reaction to something someone else said at some other time at some other place. You don't have to read between the lines, just read. I was asking Necroyunus if he thought his BJJ was useless without Karate. I believe in the power of decent instruction and training. A well trained, competent BJJ fighter will not do the things that I mentioned in the post that you mischaracterized. A well trained, competent Capoeirista will not do the things that many critics offer as proof that Capoeira is "useless."

My post was about people making b.s. comments about Capoeira without an apparent factual foundation, Isn't that what this site is about: B.S. in the martial arts? People making pronouncements out of ignorance is the issue. Criticize Capoeira until the cows come home, but what is your factual foundation for doing so?

And I write this as I am calmly drinking a strawberry - banana - orange pineapple juice smoothie. (ahhh!)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 2:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    You know what? you are right.

If I start to grapple with someone on the ground it is very possible that the second or third one can hit me.

Now I will give you a perfect secret.Do you know that If I do striking, they can still hit me too???? :occasion1
    Also, yes, BJJ is perfect for ground fighting. But I would hardly say its ONLY ground fighting.I dont know other gyms(it must be similar) but in every class we learn self defence or engaging,evading moves against a striker etc.
    Believe me if you re comfortable when you are in grappling range, you are alot more safer than most of the MAists out there. If you know how to get close you also know how to NOT get close very well.
    Thanks for sharing your secret! I didn't know any of this stuff (40 years ago).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 2:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    I respect you for training despite your - not stated - age and injuries, good that you enjoy it.
    I am old as dirt and twice as funky.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 2:58am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm.... These are not my arguments, Tonuzaba.
    They read as your arguments to me:

...Are you going to fall to floor on your back and try to arm bar one guy while his friend/friends kick a hole in your head or do something else...
    ...I would love to post video of myself sparring with someone, but... ...When I find a video that I think is worthy of posting, I will do so...
    We're not in a deep arguing here, though, so enjoy your smoothie... :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 4:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was asking Necroyunus if he thought his BJJ was useless without Karate
    Ahhh for that I dont think so

And I write this as I am calmly drinking a strawberry - banana - orange pineapple juice smoothie. (ahhh!)
    make it two please :happy4:

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 1:53am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I AM in a deep arguings here.

Capeioerea is stupider even than strawberry - banana - orange pineapple juice smoothies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 2:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    Well, I AM in a deep arguings here.

Capeioerea is stupider even than strawberry - banana - orange pineapple juice smoothies.

Ah come oooon, capoeira IS stupid maybe but smoothies are not...maybe thats because i cant drink enough of em so I feel like it but whatever