Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by toxin
    no i would rather learn Krav Maga or CQC something like that that covers all aspects not just punching as for Chun i assume your talking about Wing Chun and yeah that would be better then learning boxing i think

and i found it funny how many people are getting upset over my stance on boxing if i had said **** Ninpo,TKD (which i did) or Aikido then no one would of said a thing
    Maybe you need to read the OP again. It didn't say which MA would you rather train, it's what MA would wish you hadn't trained. Even if there are holes in boxing, you could do far worse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 11:16am

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no i would rather learn Krav Maga or CQC something like that that covers all aspects not just punching as for Chun i assume your talking about Wing Chun and yeah that would be better then learning boxing i think

and i found it funny how many people are getting upset over my stance on boxing if i had said **** Ninpo,TKD (which i did) or Aikido then no one would of said a thing
    That's because boxing gives you things integral to having a good game (pain tolerance, bobbing and weaving, hard contact, keeping your hands up) whereas things like Chun, Ninpo and aikido do not. It's like comparing a diet composed of pure carbs to a diet composed of pure air. You'd much rather just eat carbs than nothing at all.
    Also, TKD isn't a **** art. If (as certain rulesets do) you allow punches and kicks to the head and allow full contact it can form a decent kickboxing aspect to someones game. The only problem most people on this board have with it is that is attracts Mcdojangs like stink on ****. No one would praise judo if it cost $15 per lesson, was taught by a 17 year old blackbelt, you could get to dan grade in two years for forking over money, the instructors were always reducing the intensity of the sparring as not to scare away new recruits and it was generally ran like a pyramid scheme.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 11:39am

Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOXMAN
    My son is 14 and boxing. He spars now. He gets hit. He hits. If had taken a TMA he'd still be hitting air at this point.

So the worst MA I would want to spend 10 years wasting my time on is any art that DOES NOT train like boxing......whether it's using kicks, grappling or whatever.
    quoted for truth

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Could you please explain to me, what in Wing Chun do you feel would better empower you to defend yourself than in Boxing?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 6:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Could you please explain to me, what in Wing Chun do you feel would better empower you to defend yourself than in Boxing?
    It's all in the training tools. They must resemble the target as much as possible.

Example: you need one of these:

http://www.wckfc.com/news/dummy/index.htm

in order to fend off one of these

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...attackgame.jpg

Now I'd better get this reTardis back to its rightful owner, whoever that is.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 9:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,prowrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) weapon defence is taught in chun is it not?
    2)TKD is awfull i have NEVER met anyone who can make that **** work without changing the **** out of it
    3)i said that boxers DO punch very well however i feel the weakness of there art leaves them open (leg attacks,ground game,weapons **** like that)

why is it so hard for everyone to get that i don't like it COZ of the weakness of the art but you know what im sick of this

in answer to the question i would not like to waste 10 years of my life on TKD or boxing and thats just me don't like it too bad

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 9:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you would rather have spent the last 10 years doing tai chi than boxing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 10:59pm

Style: brazillian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Toxin,
    It's a pleasure to be able to read your posts. Very few people possess the quality of social awareness that you have. I am truly amazed by the level of understanding that you've managed to acheive.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 12:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ,prowrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    So you would rather have spent the last 10 years doing tai chi than boxing?

you can use Tai Chi to fight? i always thought it was to help you relax kinda like medidating and if i was studing that for ten years i would class myself as a street fighter not a Tai Chi guy

and BJJgame im not sure if your being a smartass or what (damn writen word)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 4:10am

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) weapon defence is taught in chun is it not?
    2)TKD is awfull i have NEVER met anyone who can make that **** work without changing the **** out of it
    3)i said that boxers DO punch very well however i feel the weakness of there art leaves them open (leg attacks,ground game,weapons **** like that)

why is it so hard for everyone to get that i don't like it COZ of the weakness of the art but you know what im sick of this

in answer to the question i would not like to waste 10 years of my life on TKD or boxing and thats just me don't like it too bad
    Weapons defence is taught in many arts, problem is that the vast majority is untested catshit. In fact, it's usually counterproductive because it teaches you to stay and fight rather than run the **** away if a weapon is pulled. There IS good weapon defence, stuff taught by your average chun school is what good weapon defence is not.
    Also, the person with the record for fastest KO on this board does taekwondo for his striking game. Where the **** do you live that the local chun schools knock out better fighters than the local boxing gyms?