Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwatcher
    this is silly I think anyone realize how hypocritical you're acting, I gave an imprecise definition of san shou, then corrected it later. Its purpose was to give a general idea of the style to someone whose never heard of it. You gave an incorrect definition of san shou and you still haven't seemed to defend yourself against it. I don't disagree with anything you're saying, in fact I FUCKING AGREE. You're just a fucking stubborn ass who gets off on making other men concede defeat, call me a fool call me an idiot all you want, I don't care. It doesn't make you any more correct or any less of an anal retentive asshole.

I don't see how I'm a hypocrite.

The way I see 'kickboxing' is that it isn't so much a style as it is a rule-set for competition (and when I think kickboxing I think K1, not the neon pants and no-leg kick version). So the fact that the style of sanshou includes in its curriculum some kick counters and 'misc kicks' (again, something you came up with??) that aren't generally seen in other striking arts does not remove it from that blanket term.

Throws includes throw defense. But I suppose to be more accurate I should have said 'takedowns' to include trips and such.

I'm not stubborn, I just don't see why I should make a compromise when you're obviously wrong and just hanging on to whatever you can so that you don't lose face completely. You basically just admitted that I was correct but that you want me to be civil for some reason and give you some small victory.... sorry that I disrupted your chi?

I think they're moving the date to july since the 28th is canada day weekend. Don't get excited about this, it isn't a 'challenge match' or anything, I just want to learn some brazilian jiujitsu ness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 7:51pm

Style: San shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry-Monkey
    I don't see how I'm a hypocrite.

The way I see 'kickboxing' is that it isn't so much a style as it is a rule-set for competition (and when I think kickboxing I think K1, not the neon pants and no-leg kick version). So the fact that the style of sanshou includes in its curriculum some kick counters and 'misc kicks' (again, something you came up with??) that aren't generally seen in other striking arts does not remove it from that blanket term.

Throws includes throw defense. But I suppose to be more accurate I should have said 'takedowns' to include trips and such.

I'm not stubborn, I just don't see why I should make a compromise when you're obviously wrong and just hanging on to whatever you can so that you don't lose face completely. You basically just admitted that I was correct but that you want me to be civil for some reason and give you some small victory.... sorry that I disrupted your chi?

I think they're moving the date to july since the 28th is canada day weekend. Don't get excited about this, it isn't a 'challenge match' or anything, I just want to learn some brazilian jiujitsu ness.
    I don't care about saving face, I've already admitted that my definition was imprecise and provided a more accurate definition. Your definition was incorrect as well, I don't agree that san shou = kickboxing with throws, and after some more background information neither do you. So debate wise we're at a standstill. And you've made the same mistake I still don't know why you think you're superior somehow. Regarding "brazillian jiu jitsu ness" that term was just used in passing. Kinda like saying "The ice cream was sweet, with a hazelnuttish flavor", or "that kick looks muay thai ish" or "san shou is lacking the brazzilian jiu jitsu ness." You understood what I mean, or you should have, you just wanted to start an arguement. Regarding july, I wasn't planning on taking it as a challenge match....sparring is fine, you probably are a much better fighter than me since you do it professionally so I hope to learn from you, No hard feelings. See you july...maybe.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 8:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually I do still think that sanshou is kickboxing with throws.

That san shou is a mix of styles, that lacks as I've said "brazillian jiu jitsu ness" what I meant was it lacked ground game, including the intricacies of brazzilian jiu jitsu, and ground and pound I suppose
    this is what you said you meant. you include striking on the ground and brazilian jiujitsu into 'brazilian jiujitsu ness' and I demand that you teach it to me.

I am a scientist by profession, fighting is a hobby and it was nice to get paid for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:16pm

Style: ancient arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing works better than my style!!! GUN-FUhttp://www.bullshido.net/forums/icons/new_snipersmilie.gif
    :new_snipe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually I do still think that sanshou is kickboxing with throws.

this is what you said you meant. you include striking on the ground and brazilian jiujitsu into 'brazilian jiujitsu ness' and I demand that you teach it to me.

I am a scientist by profession, fighting is a hobby and it was nice to get paid for it.
    if you think san shou is kickboxing with throws then your wrong. For reasons mentioned above. And "brazillian jiu jitsu ness" was something I just said in passing also explained avove. This arguement is dead, let it die man.

p.s. what did you get your pHd in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerjoe
    Nothing works better than my style!!! GUN-FUhttp://www.bullshido.net/forums/icons/new_snipersmilie.gif
    :new_snipe
    you mean gun - kata like from equilibrium?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    currently working on my PhD in biochemistry/x-ray crystallography.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    currently working on my PhD in biochemistry/x-ray crystallography.
    ah so you're a phd student...its my understanding that scientists are the PhD's who run the lab. Masters or phd student, get paid as a research assistants or T.A.'s. Although my bio prof did say he met a russion scientist (who was a Masters student at the time). So I guess these things vary.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2008 9:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I get paid full-time to conduct original research and when I have something worth publishing I'll bet writing up the paper. That's how it works.

Are you now going to tell me that I'm mistaken because you've helped people get into grad school and now you know more about it than me?
    Last edited by Angry-Monkey; 6/18/2008 9:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 9:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I get paid full-time to conduct original research and when I have something worth publishing I'll bet writing up the paper. That's how it works.

Are you now going to tell me that I'm mistaken because you've helped people get into grad school and now you know more about it than me?
    no no, I can be corrected I'm not that much of an ass, plus I'm only in undergrad I can't exactly declare superior academic knowledge.