Our Sponsors:

Page 22 of 73 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 232425263272 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing about form is that it is used as power yoga exercise to built body which is appropriate to particular fighting style.

Usually, traditional kung fu training start off with standing posture expercise (usually horse stance). If you look at Shaolin Kung Fu, they have numerous standing postures which look strikingly similar to Yoga postures.

Just like yoga in advance level, once student can maintain static posture for long time, then one move from one posture to another in sequence which is how form should be performed.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vapour - I agree. And like in Tai Chi, holding posture while the instructor corrects makes one strong. Or for that matter, something like squat kicks. I don't think I'll use them in a fight, but doing them to burn with the kenpo class is a great exercise. It's the old "how many times has a board attacked you?" The heavy bag has yet to attack me but I keep trying to piss it off.

"Only IDIOTS think kata is useless because they don't know what they are talking about!!!" 5/6/03 by the the man himself, Asia
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 4:51pm

Style: mma, TAKEDOWNS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some heavy bag called me last night telling me not to leave the house alone

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was an old heavy hag, dburton.

"Only IDIOTS think kata is useless because they don't know what they are talking about!!!" 5/6/03 by the the man himself, Asia
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 3:27am

supporting member
     Style: kyoku-shin, boun-shin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about heavy bags, but last Friday a couple of kick mitts took the skin off my knuckles in self-defence. (I've mastered a version of that technique myself -- let an instructor hit you until his hands get tired.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 4:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I've been lucky, but a couple of Aikido instructors have come to my club for courses and they could both really fight. One is a Czech policeman with BB's in karate, judo and kempo as well as Aikido, but he uses the Aikido extensively in his work, and I know from bitter experience training with him that those techniques work .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/07/2003 6:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in my experience, the aikidokas who have done applied aikido in actual confrontations and survived all had experience with a striking art in conjunction with their aikido skills.

Learning to atemi well is something I lot of aikidokas has difficulty with, even here. I guess you can chalk it up to all that "non-aggressive" doctrine and all those films of O Sensei doing very little atemi.

As far as I'm concerned, aikido is atemi first, joint lock and throw second.

Getting in close with aikido is one thing. Knowing what to do when you get there is another.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2004 10:54pm

Style: Brazilian JiuJitsu, Wing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Asia
    Only IDIOTS think kata is useless because they don't know what they are talking about!!!

^ thats the best line ive heard pertaining to katas EVER!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2004 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have to go with Muay thai, BJJ, wrestling hell anything full contact.

Me and my Wushu will kick the crap out of your punch drunk ass anyday mofo bizatches

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2004 11:19pm

Style: Brazilian JiuJitsu, Wing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ see this kind of "ill kick your asses" **** is so annoying.........read this carefully and slowly

NO ONE CARES WHO YOU THINK YOU CAN BEAT THE **** OUT OF

dont blame anyone when your around walking tall and someone KYTFO