Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never read this thread because I think it's bullshit to put down styles. However, now that the question changed, Aikido came immediately to mind. I hope I don't offend my Aikido buddies, but the Aikido I've seen on the mainland US is pretty and graceful and sucks as a fighting system. The Aikido I used to watch in Kaimuki (HI) was a different story. There the master and sempei would show everyone the technique and all the pairs would do it. The higher skilled pairs would improvise off the basic move (usually a takedown of some sort) with strikes and control moves, very, very fast. Countering the counters on and on, looking like fighting cats, until they'd bounce up, bow, and do it again.

The Aikido I've seen on the mainland is sure pretty - but I can't imagine any of them responding to a fast strike or two. Actually I can imagine it - they'd curl up and cry.

Oh, I've seen good Capoeira, and good wushu people are in too good a shape and the advanced wushu practitioners are supposed to learn other Chinese arts - kinda like major in wushu, minor in three other (trad Chinese) arts.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2003 7:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never read this thread because I think it's bullshit to put down styles. However, now that the question changed, Aikido came immediately to mind. I hope I don't offend my Aikido buddies, but the Aikido I've seen on the mainland US is pretty and graceful and sucks as a fighting system. The Aikido I used to watch in Kaimuki (HI) was a different story. There the master and sempei would show everyone the technique and all the pairs would do it. The higher skilled pairs would improvise off the basic move (usually a takedown of some sort) with strikes and control moves, very, very fast. Countering the counters on and on, looking like fighting cats, until they'd bounce up, bow, and do it again.

The Aikido I've seen on the mainland is sure pretty - but I can't imagine any of them responding to a fast strike or two. Actually I can imagine it - they'd curl up and cry.

Oh, I've seen good Capoeira, and good wushu people are in too good a shape and the advanced wushu practitioners are supposed to learn other Chinese arts - kinda like major in wushu, minor in three other (trad Chinese) arts.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    I mentioned this as well, on other threads. I also think that Aikido as practiced in the Us mainland is generally pretty and useless. But in Japan, Asia and maybe parts of Europe (More French do Aikido than in Japan) Aikido isn't always graceful, prettty and harmless.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 8:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Kata is good for excercise, and excercise only. Anyone who says they used kata in a real fight is a damn liar, there's no way you could preform a kata on an attacker and live to tell the tell."

Please don't spout baloney. Or call people liars, I mean if it's in person it's one thing, but on the internet I can't slap you down.
    (It's perform and live to tell the tale.) But you are wrong (ever hear of shadow boxing?). I take it you don't know any kata, because if you did you'd know that kata consists of techniques and if you use blocks, punches, kicks, sweeps, and takedowns you are using techniques that appear in kata. Well, atleast they appear in Kyokushinkai kata, your style must have Watching TV Kata, Picking Nose Kata, and Typing Bullshit Kata.

I do actually partly agree with you. As Martin Buel, the head of Universal Kempo Karate told me, kata doesn't have much to do with self defense. So they emphasize one on one drills. However when I was a green belt, long long ago, and had only a year or two training, a guy jumped me in my college dorm and I did a move from kata without thought. It happened to be a stiff finger jab to the throat. It comes from one of the first learned Wado-ryu kata and it's designed to slip inside a kick, taking the kick on the forarm as you strike to the groin. It worked well on his open arms, too. I didn't connect as he looked like a movie in reverse as I came in, so maybe it was just my fighting spirit that worked, and that shows that kata works even more than just technique practice.

Edited by - patfromlogan on May 05 2003 09:14:28
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    5/05/2003 9:50am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand how pple are SOOOO stupid NOT to see Kata as training drills.

I don't think anyone made kata to use them in a fight you use them to to drill techniques and learn to move from on to another. It is the same as when a boxer is shadow boxing and practicing combinations. I seen gyms that have a combination chart on the wall that says something like:

1 min 1,2 ;1min, 1,2,3; 1,3 1,1,2; 1,1 down 1,2; etc.

Pretty much the same thing but not as long. Only IDIOTS think kata is useless because they don't know what they are talking about!!!

I thin one of the best examples of how aikido should be I saw in college. There was this kid named Jeff (some really weird las name that sounded like Hercules but with an M instead of an H) He was skin and had broken his back in a car accident. He started Aikido to help regain his physical strength. Not only did it help but he used to pick me out to spar against. He was fast and could yeild, turn, bend and have you really wondering what the hell is happening. One time I remeber watching spar a japanese student from the karate class that practiced in the same gym. Tomo (full name Tomohiro) was about my size and he like to rush up on pple an overwhelm them with blows. He rushed in on Jeff and I remember thinking, He shouldn't have done that, and watched Tomo sail head first almost into the wall. Jeff was just a shodan but I kept thinking that he was perfect for aikido. Didn't match strenght and and the good sense to get the hell out the way. I truly haven't seen many I thought that about. Most Aikidoka I've met have either been westerners thinking they will turn japanese by doing it or just dancers in skirts. The others that could use aikido didn't fit the frail guy effortlessly fling pple around they were mostly decent sized well conditioned guys.

______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
    THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 8:38am

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good post Asia.

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 1:48pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good post Ballonknot

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
    (And my two creaky knees...)
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 2:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post PizDoff!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 2:49pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post, Fighty.

"I'm willing to bet I could **** up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
    -- KC Elbows, my new hero.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shitty post jkdchick!

**You're all a-holes**

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/06/2003 3:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno. I kinda liked her strategic use of the comma.