Our Sponsors:

Page 18 of 73 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 192021222868 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 9:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The army doesn't care about unarmed fighting all that much because you can and will almost ALWAYS have a weapon. They teach SEALS martial arts, sure...but they also teach them to NEVER LOSE THEIR GUN and to treat it like it's their life.

I believe that Korea teaches combat TKD to people but it doesn't really factor in all that much in any situation related to army life. Or shouldn't at least.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then again we could just listen to someone who was in the army and LIVED AND WORKED WITH ROK SOLDIERS FOR MONTHS AT A TIME. But we tried that already, doesn't seem to work...

"I'm devastating, looking for some refreshment!"

Courtesy of flubtitles.com
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 9:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "if you talking about American kata, the crap that those clowns in the weird gi are doing, then yes it is absolutely worthless as a form of martial training. But you are basing your prejudice on that crap that you see and making the illogical assumption that that is kata, when it obviously is not."

Its kata as its taught in all schools Hiji, there's simply NO USE for kata now that there's no practical battle application for it. Kata is good for excercise, and excercise only. Anyone who says they used kata in a real fight is a damn liar, there's no way you could preform a kata on an attacker and live to tell the tell.

"I'd love to see one of those guys with the satin, stars and stripes hakama and tiger stripe gi, flashing a made-in-taiwan katana get into a death match with the current headmaster of the Mizoguchi-ha Itto-ryu"

LoL, right, as if the Mizoguchi-Ha Itto-Ryu sensei would take a challenge from anybody. There's plenty of venues where he could show his skill, but old school Jj schools don't compete right?

I think its funny when people say "my art isn't made for the ring, its made to kill!" What nonsense, if you're of such high level you could kill a man, why aren't you of such high level that you could merely subdue them? I'm sure Bjj and Judo stylists could kill you as well, but they have enough self-restraint that they can merely make you submit instead of sending you to the mourge. Saying that your TMA is "too dangerous" for a ring competition actually speaks badly about TMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 9:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is everyone so anti ninjitsu. I have never studied the art but my Go Ju Sensei has and he swears by it. I realize there are alot of crappy people out there misrepresenting the art but I dont think its fair to judge the art like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 9:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to be a real Ninja, join the Navy seals.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 9:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly.

Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 9:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually...CIA Paramilitary Forces. Which would probably take you through the Seals at some point.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 10:12am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thought about this for a while before responding.

the worst ma i ever seen is bad capoeira.

all arts have good and bad representatives.

i would rather train bad TKD than bad capoeira.

on the other hand, GOOD Capoeira, is not something to be sneered at. Angolan Cap. is a very low art with some similarities to poekulan. it is very unorthodox and deceptive. it is DANGEROUS. you can analyze it all you want but i will tell you now that some of the attack patterns in capoeira can deliver some of the most powerful strikes possible. they are dynamic,ballistic, on TIME, and in rhythym with collisive intercepting angles. its no joke.

but it is not often trained in that manner.

Advice: you cant beat a 250lb.+ fighter by squeezing him with your fingers. real eagle claw training deforms your hands. if you dont do the hard conditioning it is pretty worthless. otherwise your just pinching,scratching, and poking. anybody can do that.

ditto on the snake style.

and crane 'pecks' too.

any body who does combination practice does kata. any sequence of fighting that is trained qualifies as a kata. that is a term of JMA and is skews perception of the topic.

indonesian 'forms' are very short and would be generally be seen as combinations. putting several of the patterns together and performing them concurrently would be seen as a 'kata'.

dont be silly. wtf is the difference? any fool who shadow boxes is doing a 'kata'.

kata or long sequences have the primary function of being a 'recording device' for the retention of techniques.

peace.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Anyone who says they used kata in a real fight is a damn liar, there's no way you could preform a kata on an attacker and live to tell the tell."

I have.
    ----------------
    SEALS would be the closest thing that you could get in the USA other than maybe the Jinenkan and a couple of Bujinkan dojos, but no one knows about them. Taijutsu can be found in some places but that's not the bulk of Ninjitsu at all.

A real 'unarmed' ninja has at least one bladed weapon on him at all times. A challenge to any real ninja should be considered very carefully. Because they will do ANYTHING to win. Including bringing a knife to an unarmed fight. This is part of the problem with ring fighting. Ninjitsu doesn't allow for subdueing an opponent because encounters are only supposed to last thirty seconds at MOST. The point is to do the most effective thing in the shortest amount of time. The point is not to get great technical skill with defeating an opponent. It is to learn how to injure them and get away as fast as possible. A REAL ninja would probably run as his first option, the cage does not allow for this. This however makes plenty of people angry because it IS a cop out of competition. Groin shots are not allowed, so they are not defended against. Eye gouges are not allowed, so no one worries about them. This means that you can get away with a lot that you couldn't get away with in a real fight. This is a lame excuse for not fighting some one in a ring, because it makes the techniques unpracticable and unprovable. However, Ninjitsu is very effective. I've taken it, and added its principles to my MMA repitoire.

The Jinenkan does however allow challenges. I would love to see any of you defeat one of them. Good luck. I know I can't.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2003 12:43pm

Style: mma, TAKEDOWNS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best thing is to have a ninjitsu instructor who was a SEAL and was in the CIA. Believe it or not there is a guy here in san diego who is that and I studied at his school for a little while. He claimed that all the techniques were purely from the style, so in believing that, I do believe ninjitsu is extremely practical. However, if I chose to believe that he incorporated some SEAL training into his program then I wouldn't be able to tell. The fact is that ninjutsu (or whatever style) you take depends alot on the teacher and what he/she determines is practical in real life. So yeah, some one who has had to actually use that stuff is obviously the best to learn from, military or not.