Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good Kyokushin, Judo or Ju Jitsu schools in Munich, Germany?

Firstly: So despite my handle on this forum I have to admit that I got sucked in by the whole Bujinkan thing not so long ago. I trained for about 4 months twice a week or so plus another ~3 months once a week in the end. In the end my training tailed off I think because of laziness and generally being too busy with other things, although I'd like to think that I realised subconciosly that I wasn't really getting anything truly useful out of it (although don't get me wrong the training was actually quite fun).

But having moved to a new city and country I was thinking about trying to get back into it, and this time give it a proper go. But instead I came by these forums and became convinced after reading many threads that it really isn't the thing for me. I mean thinking back over some of my experiences I can easily pick out the faults:
    * Always lunge punches, effectively always telegraphed as your partner knew your were about to attack

* No sparing. The closest we got was some free-struggling/grappling for a minute or two at the end of *some* of the lessons.

* They kept emphasising the idea it was for 'street self-defence' but had some totally unrealistic techniques. For example the one where you step ever so slightly to the side as someone punches you in the chin and instead trap the punching hand between your neck and shoulder (by raising your arm).

* Emphasis on preventing your opponent from being able to punch/kick you by maintaining correct spacing and body position. This is a good thing (although extremely hard to get right) but again the opponent was always in a static position. I can't see how it could possibly train you for when someone was actively coming at you.

* Similar to the above point they emphasised how it could help you in self-defence in common pub/bar fights, but when I thought about it whilst in acutal London pubs/bars I couldn't see how there would possibly be any room to perform the bujinkan techniques.

* When someone asked a question about what fitness training was needed for the BJK the instructor responded that really only forearm strengethening was required (for the grappling) and that's what the 'guys in Japan' did mostly.

* The one grading I saw was pretty lame. It consisted of performing 3 fairly basic techniques of getting out of a grab hold from a (fairly compliant) partner.

* There seems to be no formal grading system and worse no formal list or categorisation of even the most important (core) techniques. This made it very difficult to measure my progress (if there was any), made me feel like any grading I got would be fairly arbitrary and meaningless and made me feel lost in a sea of techniques as the black belts/instructors seemd to make them up as they went along half the time.

Despite all this I think some of the instructors and the black belts had some real skill and would even be willing to put (a not excessive amount of) money on them that they could pull off some of these techniques in a real fight. A lot of the black belts trained at much closer to full speed than the rest of us. However the time and effort required to get good enough to get good enough to do that would be huge. Plus I think a lot of them had prior/other MA experience which meant they knew about the dynamics of a real fight.

One of the black belts once told me that 'Bujinkan is like the university'. As in you have to prepare for it by doing other fitness excercises, sports (boxing probably) and potentially other MAs. I think this sums it up nicely. So when/if I'm 35 or 40, have extensive experience with 'alive' MAs like kyokushin, judo etc. it might be time to dedicate many years to perfecting fancy Bujinkan techniques to the point they could potentially be used in real-life... but then again maybe not :-)

Anyway now that I've given you guys the pleasure of reading my meandering thoughts I have a real question:
    * Does anyone know/even better have experience of good kyokushin or judo or even BJJ classes here in Munich? I might not be able to start for a little while as I need to work on my German but since this forum is harrassing me to make a first post I thought I'd ask now.

OmegaBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We knew you could do it! happy_skeptic posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Style
    Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_skeptic

Anyway now that I've given you guys the pleasure of reading my meandering thoughts I have a real question:
    * Does anyone know/even better have experience of good kyokushin or judo or even BJJ classes here in Munich? I might not be able to start for a little while as I need to work on my German but since this forum is harrassing me to make a first post I thought I'd ask now.
    Happy Skeptic,

Highlight the last paragraph. Reading about the Booj will put us too sleep and there's alot of change nobody will read then your question.

Kyokushin, Judo and BJJ have a high quality control so about every dojo/club will be OK.
    Therefore use google or the telefone book to find several clubs and use the free training sessions to test them.

Welcome to Bullshido.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ... Join us... or die
    Style
    KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know there is a BJJ school in Munich, they also do MMA iirc. I don't know if it is this one http://www.sanefighting.de/ but they came up when I used my google fu! There is a purple belt from munich somewhere here on the board, but I don't remember his name. Good luck. For Kyokushin there is a general german site where you can find schools all over germany, just google and you will find it. And for judo you will easily find good schools in munich. HF
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo