Posted On:
    10/30/2008 10:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitchslapper
    Ummmm let's see
    Ok let's say for simplicity that the clean and jerk is perfectly correlated with punching power (it's not so don't bother quoting me on this)
    The winner of the men's 56kg class (lightest men's class) jerked 160kg or 2.9 times his bodyweight
    The winner of the men's super heavy class jerked 258 kg (he weighed 140 on the day) so that's only 1.8 times his bodyweight.

But who would you rather take a punch from? The little guy because he doesn't punch as hard.
    Sorry, I was kinda being sarcastic...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 10:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree. http://www.nbcolympics.com/weightlif...les/index.html the heights [del]move almost in lock step[/del] strongly correlated with the increasing bodyweights

My sarcasm detector is in the shop. I hope to have it back in a couple weeks.
    Last edited by Lindz; 10/30/2008 10:55am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 3:24pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann
    By the way, the lighter guys aren't necessarily shorter than the heavier guys. In fact, for a lot of lifts, the longer levers of taller people makes them superior to shorties, pound for pound..... So skinny and tall might be better, pound for pound, than short and thick.

Short arms are better for benching, but reaching to the ground to do deads or cleans, they are a liability......

Don't be hatin' on us shorties, man.

Think about where the fulcrum is in your arms. It'd be your elbow, putting the effort on the short leg, and the resistance on the long leg.

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 9:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trying to bring this thread back on track. What is sanchin breathing? After googling all I could find was people arguing if it was helpful or dangerous. But no actual definitions.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    here's what i've been taught:

ibuki breathing (ie, what goes with sanchindachi training) generally consists of emptying one's lungs (often as loudly and conspicuously as possible; i hate those guys) while tightening up every muscle in the body, generally on a forward step/gather. after this, the lungs are kept as empty as possible, with short, rapid maintenance breaths taken.

it's bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 11:29am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guys main dojo is about two miles from my BJJ school, I even looked into training there 8 years ago when I first moved to the area, (Okinawan Gojo-ryu is closely related to the system I was training in when I moved), but I was really turned off by the McDojoish nature of the place. He sells different levels of contracts that provide different levels of access to classes. He calls these contracts "society memberships".

Calasanz is probably one of the most successful McDojo artists in existence. He has made a fortune off MA students. He has franchised his "system" to several of his students who have opened their own schools and pay him fees, his main school is over 10,000 square feet and has several training areas including a full sized ring and a weight training facility.

The guy himself is barely 5 feet tall, and kind of a laughing stock in the area with the 'fro he wears to make himself look taller. That being said, he is an incredbly tough dude, and outside of his _ing _ung and krotty, does some hardcore, alive full contact training (boxing, kickboxing) for those who are looking for it. One of the blue belts I train with used to be one of his boxing trainers, and has a really good stand up game.

His school is very expensive (full memberships in his "societies" can cost several hundred dollars a month) and he is a anti-grappler extrodinaire. One of the biggest LOL's I get off his course list is his "Wing Chun Ground Fightning" -- basically kicking and striking from the bottom if you end up on the ground.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/31/2008 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to kiai when doing squats and bench presses, so I don't really have anything against the guy. Growl away, good friend. Growl away.
    Also, the man is clearly ripped, so he has my respect for that.

Posted On:
    2/12/2009 4:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am from the area this guy has his school in. he has been around since well before I was a little kid. Basically, he now has 8 schools in the area, and charges alot of casholas. I go there every so often for self lolz, as he shows me his moves and the gym. Seriously, 4200 a year!

It has a McDojo rep with the hard cores, but most don't know any better, they think because its been around for so long, that its legit.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    2/14/2009 10:31pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In The Naked Warrior Pavel mentions a bit about Sanchin breathing, 'power breathing' and various 'noises' and their correlation to strength. He seemed to vouch that using these methods worked relatively well because they were correlated to internal pressure in the diaphragm, and through some complicated muscular process your overall strength. IE: Breathing a certain way would increase your muscular capability by increasing internal pressure in the abdomen. That's a horrible sum-up, but it's the best I can do without copy-pasting the chapter.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Posted On:
    3/11/2009 4:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    meh not impressed
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123