Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 5:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sanshou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How big can you get just by working out at home with no weights other than your body?

I live in Jakarta and the traffic is horrible. I hate driving to the gym. I weigh 76kgs and 177cm tall. I think I can go bigger, but I working out at home.

I have a heavy/banana bag at home, twin steel rails (custom-made) for dips, overhead steel pipe for chin-ups and lateral pull-ups, and for pushups I basically use a 75cm gym ball.

Let's say I can't afford barbells or home gym-machines. How big can one physically get? Does anyone here workout at home without any barbells or machines? Has anyone worked out at home with the aforementioned makeshift fitness equipment and built a body fit for cruiserweight/light heavyweight kickboxing matches?

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 8:01am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Short answer- the only big you're going to get is fat without a gym membership or a way to add resistance to your workouts each week (read: dumbell set/weights/pullup bar/deadlift bar).

Long answer - i hate explaining answers which have been asked 1000 times by 1 post noobs. Ride your bike to the gym.

Your kickboxing gym doesn't have weights?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 8:02am

Style: TKD, Wrestling (retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give this a look. I would only buy it if you can get the Amazon price in some way. Pavel's books are little pricey for what you get, but discounted down to ~$20 it's worth it. Of course, shipping to Jakarta might be a killer.

A lot of the ideas in that book are probably on the net. The workout in the book is targetted at maximal strength, but you can adjust it for strength endurance and explosive strength as well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been doing what you are doing. I don't go to gyms anymore for weight lifting. I am 5'11" and 225lbs. There is no reason why you can't get big and stay in good shape doing push ups, pull up, dips, squats, lunges, and working out on your bag. Just keep a good diet along with it.

Your only problem will be self motivation. As long as you are motivated and keep up with your work out, you will do good. Don't fall into that whole "you have to go to a gym to get big" stereotype. If you need more motivation go to"

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would use the heavy bag for squats and carry-overs.

And if it's too big, just build yourself a sandbag and use it for carry overs and squats (by holding it in front of you, or by lifting it off the ground and into one of your shoulders.)

http://elnyka.wordpress.com/2008/02/...dbag-training/

If you want to increase in size, at some point you will have work your lower body. There is no way around it. You can also get small burlap sacks, fill them with stones and use those as dumbbells or kettlebells. I actually did that back in my teen years back in Honduras and some of the other kids I went to HS with did their own dumbbells and barbells with scrap metal pipes and metal buckets filled with cement or hardened/baked clay.

I would also look at hand-stand push ups (and/or overhead pressing of heavy objects, likes stones or bags of sand) instead of dips and push ups. You can crank the reps in dips and push ups, so that won't help you in gaining size or strength, but the alternatives I just suggested would.

For example (and I'm talking out of my ass because I don't know how expensive or affordable things are in Jakarta), you can get a sack of concrete (50lbs to 80lbs) and let it solidify, pour water on it or something. Right there you have a stone that you can lift, carry, squat with or overhead press. Something to think about ;)
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/12/2008 9:16am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    I have been doing what you are doing. I don't go to gyms anymore for weight lifting. I am 5'11" and 225lbs. There is no reason why you can't get big and stay in good shape doing push ups, pull up, dips, squats, lunges, and working out on your bag. Just keep a good diet along with it.

Your only problem will be self motivation. As long as you are motivated and keep up with your work out, you will do good. Don't fall into that whole "you have to go to a gym to get big" stereotype. If you need more motivation go to"

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/

Quoted for truth!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 9:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I want a poll like that. That guy's a badass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 11:06am

Style: TKD, Wrestling (retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    I would also look at hand-stand push ups (and/or overhead pressing of heavy objects, likes stones or bags of sand) instead of dips and push ups. You can crank the reps in dips and push ups, so that won't help you in gaining size or strength, but the alternatives I just suggested would.
    Some other push-up modifications to consider are:

Put your feet up on an incline

One-armed push-ups

One-arm\one-leg push-ups

and the holy grail:

One-arm\one-leg on an incline push-ups

For bodweight routines, you can do a lot with just changing the leverage of the movement to make it harder or easier which will help to build strength.

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 11:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did I laugh at dude lifting the monstrous log with potted flowers in the background? "Lift big tree, water plants for pretty flowers:-)"

As far as "big" goes, alot of that is nutrition&genetics, if I understand what you mean by "big"

A great old school workout I read of was this ex-Navy nut who would carry a 65# stone up and down the stairs of the 6 story apt he lived in. Eventually he got to where he would jog up&down.

Jakarta huh? Goddamnit I want a vacation...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 9:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I used to see this guy in the gym who was huge. I mean like a monster. And he was always doing crazy stuff like picking up dumbbells and swinging them around like he was swimming through the water. Because of his genetics that guy got huge doing pretty much whatever he wanted to. He had the worst form on his bench.

I hated that guy...and wished I was him.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast