Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 11:25am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    That's a yoko sankaku jime (sp?)

I'm pretty sure it's not a pin, because when we practice it, we go first for a choke, then for an arm lock as backup, and a switch to a north-south pin if all else fails.

p.s. The embedding should happen automatically, but if it doesn't work try putting the video hash (the crazy letters after "v=" in the url) inside [yt] tags.
    I'll work on my embedding. I am fairly sure it is a pin though as we have trained it at my judo club (and the judo forum thread says so as well).

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks"

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 11:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as many people have said, it goes down to rules and specific training.

Judo tends to train throws, submissions or pins, but very few dojos or clubs do transition training (throw, follow, pin, submit in a chain and not individual areas), the few dojos that train submission chains or adopt BJJ training methodology (regarding ne waza) do very well in ne-waza (still below BJJ newaza just because that is not their main focus).

The easier way is find somebody in your club who want to do this with you, and start that way, then you can either attend BJJ to add to your judo or convince the club that they need this part of the program and either bring somebody (which is not easy feat with some traditionalist) or develop a plan to tackle this issue (easier, but not as effective)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 11:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poker
    I'll work on my embedding. I am fairly sure it is a pin though as we have trained it at my judo club (and the judo forum thread says so as well).
    I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding you here, but if you're talking about what was shown in the video, then no it's not a pin. On the judo forum thread they're talking about letting go of the choke and switching to a north-south pin.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 12:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    You need an intelligence and charisma score of at LEAST 15 to be able to do that.
    You've obviously never met me in person...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 1:30pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    one thing that hasn't been mentioned about the differences in ne-waza is the plethora of gaurds taught in bjj, as opposed to judo, where (at least in my club) there is open and closed gaurd. that right there limits the amount of angles to attack from, as everything else is just considered a transitory position.

P.S. there is half, side, and full mount too, but i was talking about attacking off your back so didnt count those

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the simplest answer---> TRANSITIONS

whether or not bjj has techniques and positions that re unique to BJJ and not found in Judo is debatable, what is not debatable is the overwhelming number of superior transitions and set-ups for submissions and ground control.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri
    the simplest answer---> TRANSITIONS

whether or not bjj has techniques and positions that re unique to BJJ and not found in Judo is debatable, what is not debatable is the overwhelming number of superior transitions and set-ups for submissions and ground control.
    Well, this guy here has a point. It's the same with Judo's standing game as opposed to BJJ's standing game; transitions.

I've gone against Judo guys standing and their throwing transitions were absolutely brutal were as their ground transitions weren't anywhere near that level. The same with BJJ players; their ground transitions were awesome but standing up was almost horrible to watch (i.e. me as my Judo sucks compared to my BJJ).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 7:48am

Style: The Gentle Way

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kramer733
    No, it's more like a Shadow priest and a warlock in terms of dps :P

One is really meant to heal but knows how to dps and the other is a pure dps class =D
    Just fucking kill yourself already

OT:

The major difference is the newer competition rules intended to make Judo more spectator friendly.
    These severely restrict ne waza and have such made Judo "soft" when it comes to ground game.
    Changes in the rules also change the methods of training, as several members have mentioned, alot of clubs do far too little groundwork in Judo.
    Last edited by Silvan; 10/13/2008 7:52am at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 8:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a side note I have 3 judo BB's in my BJJ class now.

The learning curve for Judoka to pick up the newza emphasis is very small.

And they all have fucking insane grips.

I have learned not to let them secure a collar at any cost.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 8:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvan
    The major difference is the newer competition rules intended to make Judo more spectator friendly.
    I'm no expert, but I think these rules are not just about making it more spectator friendly, they're also linked to the philosophy of judo. Judo seems to have that one hit one kill aesthetic found in a lot of Japanese arts: you aim to finish the fight straight away with a big throw, if that fails, you go straight in for a pin/sub.

Whether or not that's the best thing to do in a real fight is debatable, but it's the way judo is done. (I think)

BTW. when I say debatable, I mean I won't laugh in someones face for suggesting it might not be the be all and end all. i think the smash smash smash attitude of judo is pretty much the way to go.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 10/13/2008 8:58am at .
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast