Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 4:02am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cooldown sets, good or bad idea?

Current workout regimen. Just including sample weights so you get an idea what I'm benching. 2x8 warm up at 105 lbs. 5x5 work sets at 175 lbs (2-2.5 min rest). 3x8,7,6 cooldown (1 min rest) at 135 lbs.

Are the cooldown sets a good or bad idea?

From what I'm gathering information wise... if you're training for strength, it's about being able to consistently lift heavier weights through progressive overload, which is why 5x5 at a consistent weight is good. For body building it's about time under tension, so working out to exhaustion is good.

Do extra cooldown sets impede strength development (like does the muscle need to recover soon after that 5x5), or can I get the best of both worlds with the extra sets, since I already have my 5x5 workset in for strength, and an extra work-till-exhaustion for bodybuilding purposes?

Also lemme know if I'm just talking out of my ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 5:06am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally never do cool down sets when i'm doing weights, but then, my exercise is probably a lot less intense than yours.

However, according to this article, so long as you're resting between sets, it shouldn't be a problem

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._/ai_n24947460

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 5:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitparity
    can I get the best of both worlds with the extra sets, since I already have my 5x5 workset in for strength, and an extra work-till-exhaustion for bodybuilding purposes?
    The idea behind doing resistance training to exhaustion is to deplete your muscles' energy stores (particularly glycogen) completely. Your body will take a certain period of time to refill your muscles' glycogen supplies, and if you're planning on lifting again with the same muscles before this period is complete, your capacity for work volume will be reduced. Of course, if your muscles need [arbitrary number X] hours to restore glycogen and you're not lifting again for another [arbitrary number X + Y] hours anyways, I can't see why it'd be an issue.