Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 10:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Videos of first competition as a blue belt: advice and criticism?

Well I decided to bite the bullet and post my grappling competition footage from the weekend as I won my weight class. Getting some feedback and criticism from the more experienced posters could be useful in identifying the areas of my game I need to work on so that I can keep on learning and improving.

If this doesn’t qualify for the grappling technique section, could one of the forum leaders bump it over to Guantanamo. I have been training mainly nogi BJJ for about 2.5 years in a Chris Brennan affiliated Nextgen club, getting my blue belt after about 18 months of training.

YouTube - Mark Round 2 Under 82 kg Urban Gorillaz Southern Open 2007

I decided to enter the Urban Gorillaz 2007 Southern Open as a white belt in the under 82 kg category, I some how managed to get through to the second round before nerves and the worlds worst jumping armbar attempt took me out of the competition. I also could have fought in the under 76 kg class as the scales were out by a good 2.5 kg, doing badly in the competition also made me reassess how I was approaching training.

So my goals for the past year were to:
    -Start doing the wrestling class and fit in a bit of judo
    -Work on my positional control and passing
    -Start using open guard, trying to link in transitions and subs
    -Positively use aggression in sparring and be more confident in competition

I decided to enter the nogi grappling comp my club was hosting in the under 73 kg division, because of space considerations both the main matted area and cage were used. Due to the small number of competitors the event was run with weight classes that were open to any experience level.

General game plan for the comp was to circle them into the cage, aiming to get the take down or trip and stay on top working for points without giving up position during submission attempts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 10:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - Mark Round 1 under 73 kg Ground Control 2.0

First match; I back him into the cage drop for a single, try and switch to a leg trip which the cage blocks and he tries a weak guillotine. I dump him to the mat then try for mount, escape before trying a kimura from top half guard and passing to mount. After getting the points I walk up his chest and isolate an arm for a mounted triangle, which I finish as an armbar as he tries to bridge out.

YouTube - Mark Round 2 under 73 kg Ground Control 2.0

Second match; I try the same tactic of using the cage to help in changing levels to catch a leg or tripping my opponent, nearly hitting my coach who is refereeing in the process. I don’t get the takedown this time as my opponent is really strong and I get whizzered into the mat before standing back up. I try for a body lock to tani otoshi but can’t change levels enough to pop my hips into it and off balance him enough for the entry, he pushes off the cage catches me with a kouchi gari and I end up in bottom half guard. I cross face to get my underhooks and lockdown, eventually getting the godfather sweep and scrambling to mount.

My opponent keeps his arms in the “velcro monkey” position so I try to bring my leg across my opponent for a gimmicky monoplata (I really shouldn’t watch the new Marcelo Garcia DVD the night before comps…) he escapes and I try to catch an arm but it doesn’t happen and I frantically spin to sitting guard. At this point we stand back up and I try a really bad yoko otoshi using the cage and get caught in an osoto gari ending up in kesa gatame. I am pretty gassed but manage to catch a leg and frame in order to pop out my head while getting the second hook in. I think my opponent is pretty tired so he doesn’t fight too hard when I try and isolate an arm before setting up the rear naked choke to win the match.

YouTube - Mark Round 3 under 73 kg Ground Control 2.0

Third match; I end up fighting one of the 12 month white belts from my academy who really only ever plays rubber or half guard, so I back him into the cage and he pulls guard. After moving round trying to pin his hips I pass to a cradle and try to get mount without setting it up properly, ending up in half guard. I don’t get locked down or under/over hooked which means I can stand up and set up a sprawling pass that leaves me walking round in side control before isolating an arm in N/S and finishing with a kimura.

YouTube - Mark Final under 73 kg Ground Control 2.0

Fourth match; This was the finals against the guy my coach said was the one to watch out for in my category, unfortunately I only had a one minute breather between this and my last match. I was trying to clinch for the takedown again but I couldn’t get it and ended up on my back in quarter guard trying not to get mounted. I use my opponents americana attempt to get to my knees and stand back up, which gives him the perfect opportunity to drop into a double leg that puts me back against the cage knocking the wind out of me in the process.

As my opponent goes for the guillotine again I overhook his elbow and sit through trying to land on top and end up getting my back taken. I try and get my back to mat and bridge into him, but he switches to mount and luckily I trap a leg to bridge out of it. I am pretty gassed at this point and manage to pass to knee on belly before walking round to N/S, after getting a hook in I break his grip and end up taking the back catching a rear naked choke. I realize crossing my feet is a basic error, fortunately in this case they were high up enough not to get locked out.

YouTube - Mark Absolute Division Ground Control 2.0

Absolute division; I had one match against a team mate who weighs about 90 kg and has been training for as long as I have, after a bit of gripping he changes levels to shoot and I accidentally catch him right in the nose... After a re-start and a bad ouchi gari attempt (not looking in direction of the throw and using a hooking rater than sweeping motion) I get snapped down to the knees and hit an armdrag in an attempt to take his back. During the scramble I end up on bottom half guard trying the kimura sweep and but get flattened out, after turning to my knees my opponent tries to roll for an armbar.

After stacking out of the armbar and gogoplata attempt I try to take my opponents back but can’t get both hooks in, so I try to turn over his turtle instead and get my legs tapped out after switching to a brabo. I end up in half guard for a bit before getting mounted and try to escape by bridging my opponent up and pulling butterfly guard. I can’t get that escape to work, but after a bit of a scramble I catch another armdrag and end up with both hooks in this time. I don’t know why I tried the body triangle with a much bigger opponent apart from it seemed like a good idea at the time, I get closer to the rear naked choke and switch to regular hooks as the match finishes. I lost this one on points, but it was the most fun and I felt far less pressure.

I feel that I have definitely improved over the past year with a lot of this is due to my coaches and training partners help. I will be talking to my coaches but any tips and ideas on how I can improve my grappling and competition stratergy would be more than welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:06pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice stuff! I'm just nogi as well, and I think this means I'm still white belt hehe.
    About 12 months in so far. Great transitions btw, always love watching skilled people roll.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never done a comp with a cage (what the **** promoters?) so i'll keep my critique to the first video.

Yeah, your jumping armbar was a disaster, but i've seen nerves make people do much stupider things. You had a split second opportunity for an old school but that's the kind of thing you can only really see on video so don't worry about it.

You end the scramble under deep half guard. You know to secure double unders as a first step and that's good but where you specifically where (deep and almost locked below his knee) you could've gotten the immediate sweep one of two ways:

1: Hugging the locked leg behind the thigh, straightening the leg out with your hips and going belly down with the straightened leg for the single leg reversal

or

2: Underhooking the unlocked side leg and trying for an underhook roll or popping out the back door

You're obviously trying for sitouts, and while your technique for that is good enough, it won't always work. Work sitting out back to guard or half instead (post a knee up and peek your head out the guillotened side then sit back, pulling him onto your shin that was previously posted up)

He had good posture (drill breaking it if you don't already) which is why I think your hip bump sweep went horribly awry.

Overall though this was very high quality stuff for a white belt div.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 4:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    Nice stuff! I'm just nogi as well, and I think this means I'm still white belt hehe.
    About 12 months in so far.
    Cheers for the compliment, I am just starting to find out what my preferred game is and trying to fill the gaps in between. Apart from Eddie Bravo, Chris Brennan is one of the few nogi guys to use a belt or t-shirt system, currently hoping my gym will sort out board shorts which correspond to rank…

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 4:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey

1: Hugging the locked leg behind the thigh, straightening the leg out with your hips and going belly down with the straightened leg for the single leg reversal
    1. You are right about the deep half guard and options opened through either chasing the single leg or underhooking the non-locked leg for the sweep, it is something I should work on in sparring and would be useful in escaping pins in my wrestling class.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey

2: Underhooking the unlocked side leg and trying for an underhook roll or popping out the back door

You're obviously trying for sitouts, and while your technique for that is good enough, it won't always work. Work sitting out back to guard or half instead (post a knee up and peek your head out the guillotened side then sit back, pulling him onto your shin that was previously posted up)

He had good posture (drill breaking it if you don't already) which is why I think your hip bump sweep went horribly awry.
    2. My coach showed a cool variation on playing deep gi half guard in which you pull their lapel end between their legs, catching it with the hand around their back, enabling you to disrupt their balance by pulling them up to backdoor escape or under hook the posted leg more easily. Unfortunately he ran through this after the tournament, but I will give this a whirl next time we do positional sparring.

I have been trying to use more open guard and feet on hip controls to help move between positions, but to be honest trying sit throughs, peek outs and armdrags has become a bit of a habit. After the comp one of my team mates did recommend sitting to half, butterfly or full guard when getting guillotined instead of my got to techniques because they will work on a variety of opponents.

On the pretty dreadful hip bump sweep my technique has been corrected somewhat, so I now post on my hand not my elbow and really chop my leg into my opponent when cupping the elbow and “hipping” into him.

This was the second event my club held and most of the people attending entered the first one, the venue is pretty small with one large matted area, boxing ring, cage and weights crammed into one place. I do agree that using a cage in a grappling comp is a bit “unusual” to say the least and it was a 50 / 50 chance your division would end up in there, but with all the equipment and 60+ people attending the only other option would have been using one mat for the entire contest. My last video is of the absolute division which was on the main open matted area which should have a red rather than black mat cover.

Take home points:
    -Explore more options from deep half guard
    -Don’t rely on the sit out, try using half, half butterfly and full guard recovery instead
    -Work on breaking down my opponents posture, which will enable me to successfully complete the sweep or maintain control from the bottom

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 5:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first vids down.

I almost knocked myself out trying a "belly down" flying armbar on the left side for the first time in a semi-final competition match... always practice both sides; it is NOT the same. lol

that tournament was actually taped, and I somehow won the match, but I can't remember a good 1 minute period. I wonder when they're going to make that damn dvd. it's been over a year.
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 12:05am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job on your matches.

I think you were having problem with getting your hook in while he was turtling because of flexibility issue.

From most times from where you attempted to get a hook in, your knee should have been able to touch your shoulder, and you should have been able to move your foot easily enough with your knee that far up to get that hook in.

Obviously, most people are not that flexible. So you need to readjust your hips so that they were on top of his, and let go of your seat belt grip to make your life easier. Put your grip on his lower side above his hip bone to get that hook in. Its easier on your body and keeps you in control enough.

Then Seat belt grip when both hooks are deep in to flatten.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 1:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tri
    that tournament was actually taped, and I somehow won the match, but I can't remember a good 1 minute period. I wonder when they're going to make that damn dvd. it's been over a year.
    I think widely available Genki Sudo and Aoki highlight clips are to blame for the majority of flying armbar attempts which happen in tournaments.

When you said a belly down armbar was it like the step over technique used at about 0.15 on the judo newaza compilation? If I manage to almost pull that off, even with nearly knocking myself out in the process I would be more than happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTTiUgf-5qo

Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b
    I think you were having problem with getting your hook in while he was turtling because of flexibility issue.
    I am fairly flexible, in that I can pull my left / right leg behind my head and lotus stretch pretty deep. Readjusting my hips so that they were in line with my opponents is something I need to work on, especially when my opponent has a good defensive turtle. I think that the main problem arose when he was trying to pin my hooked leg to the mat in order to flatten me out, combined with blocking the other hook with his hand at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b
    So you need to readjust your hips so that they were on top of his, and let go of your seat belt grip to make your life easier. Put your grip on his lower side above his hip bone to get that hook in. Its easier on your body and keeps you in control enough.

Then Seat belt grip when both hooks are deep in to flatten.
    In training I have found the seatbelt grip more usefull in controling my training partner than trying to establish hooks without it, giving me more options for transitions and submisson attempts. In competition however you don't get points for the seatbelt, so the risk / reward ratio of getting both hooks in shifts which I do need to consider

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 8:06am

Style: MMA, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really nice vids Alfalfa. I haven't got anything to offer technique wise I'm afraid, but I was there too at the weekend and remember seeing your matches and being impressed with you then. It was great to see you and others really going for it despite the lack of time between matches!
    I was there as a novice and got a bit nervous when Jason said they had to mix us in with the rest of you. I'll certainly make it to the next one in Jan and am thinking about making it down to the (beginner) bjj classes at Next Gen.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast