Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 2:47pm

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lost Strength? Help pls.

Ok I haven't exercised in a worthwhile manner in quite some time. I kind of stopped when I was doing heavy industry type jobs and never had the energy after work. So now that I am back in school and working a non-heavy job I noticed myself getting out of shape rather fast. The big shock came when I bought a pullup bar recently.

I used to be able to do 8 perfect pullups consecutively back when I was exercising alot. Now I can do 1 perfect pullup and a sloppy one after that and I struggle to get halfway on the third. I'm wondering how I lost so much upper body strength. Even though I try them every day I can't seem to get past this point. It could also be due to the fact that I am about 15 pounds heavier. I was always light for my height (6' 3") so the extra pounds don't really show as "fat" but I feel it honestly. I don't "feel healthy" so to speak when I am exercising like I used to.

So I am trying to work on an exercise program to get myself back into shape and better hopefully. I don't have enough time to hit the gym on campus between work and school but I have some modest exercise equipment at home.

I still do my boxing drills and am getting back into the swing of doing pushups and crunches every day. I walk my dog twice a day for cardio... he's got tons of energy and outlasts me all the time.

I have 2 one-handed bars and about 120lbs in free weights lying about my place. I have floor room to do pushups and crunches and my Wavemaster bag. I had a jumprope but my bad knee didn't like it (mountain bike injury) and my dog ate it anyways... I couldn't fit my bench into my apt so that got left with my parents. So any serious weight lifting will have to wait until I get some time freed up to start hitting the school's gym up.

What can I do in the meantime to improve strength? How can I get back up to doing 8 pullups easily and then more?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 2:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're short on time and want to improve your pullup, you might want to try Pavel's GTG program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 5:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GTG, that's Grease the Groove right? It's been a long time since I've had an actual weight training session (high school?).

Also, I looked up Pavel GTG in Google and all it pulled up was a bunch of ads and forum posts talking about a book. Are you suggesting a book? If so, where to get it?

Thanks I appreciate the info.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 5:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are correct. I'm refering to the 'grease the groove' program. I know there is an article explaining it on dragondoor.com, but I'm having trouble finding it. Also, you can go down to your local library and check 'The Naked Warrior' which is the book that explains it. Or if you own 'Beyond Bodybuilding' it's also explained there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 7:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I'll look up those two titles. Thanks again!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/12/2008 5:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!