Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 1:55pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do pushup??

....so on the recommendation of someone on this board, and wanting to get into better shape, I picked a copy of New Rules of Lifting and my fiancee and I are currently working through the beginner's routine. Deadlifts, squats, awesomeness all around.

Now, I admit that I'm rather weak and can't bench a thing, and she's never done any weight training at all before, so for the pushups in the beginner routine (it's in a superset with crunches), I'm doing them on my knees. But my fiancee can't even manage that, her core and lower back collapse on the way down (sort of like an ugly reverse upwards dog in yoga) before she bends her arms.

It looked so bad that I had her do one of the chest press machines instead, but I know that's not the same exercise.

Anyone have any tips for working up to good pushups if you can't even manage from the knees yet?

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 2:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Non-professional advice is to do so-called "lazy pushups." Kids often have an easier time with them.

Start flat face-down on the floor, palms under your shoulders, and push your shoulders up, then your hips, then your knees. Reverse the process to get back to the original position: knees go down 1st, then hips, then shoulders. Do it on a pad so you don't clonk your knees.

YMMV.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 2:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA-ish stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by edtang
    ....so on the recommendation of someone on this board, and wanting to get into better shape, I picked a copy of New Rules of Lifting and my fiancee and I are currently working through the beginner's routine. Deadlifts, squats, awesomeness all around.

Now, I admit that I'm rather weak and can't bench a thing, and she's never done any weight training at all before, so for the pushups in the beginner routine (it's in a superset with crunches), I'm doing them on my knees. But my fiancee can't even manage that, her core and lower back collapse on the way down (sort of like an ugly reverse upwards dog in yoga) before she bends her arms.

It looked so bad that I had her do one of the chest press machines instead, but I know that's not the same exercise.

Anyone have any tips for working up to good pushups if you can't even manage from the knees yet?
    I might offer a quick suggestion for push-up's off of a wall? The more you lean forward, the more 'resistance' you're offered. By 'lean', I'm just referring to how far you stand away from said wall and the angle of your body when you rest against it. If that's not offering any real trouble for her, she could try them inclined as well. Not exactly spectacular advice I know, I'm sure a few more in the know bullies will be along shortly though :)

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 2:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point with wall pushups. Once the angle gets closer to horizontal, do them against a chair or a stool until you're horizontal.

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, to isolate the arms/leave out the lower-back&abdominal effort: have her lay on her back, then, from a North&South position, lay your chest on her hands as if she was doing a bench press but you're the weight instead.

You can assist her as you're in a standard push-up
    position and get some work yourself. Press-up for her, push-up for you.

Is that clear? Hopefully.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    Also, to isolate the arms/leave out the lower-back&abdominal effort: have her lay on her back, then, from a North&South position, lay your chest on her hands as if she was doing a bench press but you're the weight instead.

You can assist her as you're in a standard push-up
    position and get some work yourself. Press-up for her, push-up for you.

Is that clear? Hopefully.
    It's better if he's lying pushing on her chest.

And if she's naked.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akara11
    I might offer a quick suggestion for push-up's off of a wall? The more you lean forward, the more 'resistance' you're offered. By 'lean', I'm just referring to how far you stand away from said wall and the angle of your body when you rest against it. If that's not offering any real trouble for her, she could try them inclined as well. Not exactly spectacular advice I know, I'm sure a few more in the know bullies will be along shortly though :)
    You took the words right out of my mouth/keyboard.

For the OP, my g/f is on her 6month of pregnancy and cannot do push ups off the floor anymore, so she started doing wall push ups. However, with both hands, they were waay too easy for her, so she's now doing one-hand wall push ups, body angled about 60 degrees, feet shoulder-width apart.

Basically what I'm saying is that, as Akara suggested, wall push ups would be the way to go. And in addition to that, your g/f can add more resistance by doing them with one hand only and/or changing the distance between her feet and the wall.

She might also want to do planks for time rather than push ups. Usually pple can't do push ups not for lack of upper body strenght, but for lack of core and (!surprise!) back strength.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 3:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    For the OP, my g/f is on her 6month of pregnancy
    Congratulations TEM :)
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 5:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA-ish stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    You took the words right out of my mouth/keyboard.

For the OP, my g/f is on her 6month of pregnancy and cannot do push ups off the floor anymore, so she started doing wall push ups. However, with both hands, they were waay too easy for her, so she's now doing one-hand wall push ups, body angled about 60 degrees, feet shoulder-width apart.

Basically what I'm saying is that, as Akara suggested, wall push ups would be the way to go. And in addition to that, your g/f can add more resistance by doing them with one hand only and/or changing the distance between her feet and the wall.

She might also want to do planks for time rather than push ups. Usually pple can't do push ups not for lack of upper body strenght, but for lack of core and (!surprise!) back strength.

Yeah, congrats on the kiddo, Macho :) Hope mother/kid are healthy n' doing well.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 5:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akara11
    Yeah, congrats on the kiddo, Macho :) Hope mother/kid are healthy n' doing well.
    hey, he didn't say it was his! Sheesh, way to poke a sore subject....
    :love3: :XXspermy:
    +
    :love8: :XXspermy:
    =
    :XXmonkey:
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast