Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 3:08am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporkinator
    You think headaches are bad. I used to do 1 clean and jerk to get my barbell on top of my bench so I could do squats before I purchased a power rack. Just after I got it to the top and placed the barbell on the bench I would often start to loose consciousness and black out. Sometimes I would notice myself starting to fade and slump over the barbell and hold on for dear life. My god I suck balls.
    Either you are a midget or you have an enormously high bench if you had to jerk it up there.

Weak

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 3:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost, stop hitting your face/head with the barbell.

Well that advice worked for me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 5:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/CM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either you are a midget or you have an enormously high bench if you had to jerk it up there.
    It was one of the bench's that are able to extend the holdy things to about 5"6. Im only about 5"9ish so it was a perfect substitute for a power cage. That is unless I couldn't finish a squat in which case I was royally fucked in the ass.....or neck.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 8:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, dude, why not load the bar on the bench? Anyways, being w/o a power cage or squat stands, it sucks. I'm using a pair of metal Crawford saw horses, on which I simply load the bar, and then squat from the bottom up.

For squatting alone at home w/o a power cage, crawford saw horses like mine are great (less than $40 in Home Depot) Combined they can take a max of 2,400lbs. If you have money you can go with the "Pillars of Strength" by IronMind.com...

... or if you don't have moolah and like to build ****, you can opt of the "Pillars of Poverty"

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/safety.html

So, is it kinda like consensus - like if that ever happens here:) - that a valsalva gone bad is the culprit?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 8:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/CM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, dude, why not load the bar on the bench?
    Because I am a stupid lazy dipshit who would rather risk health over taking two 30 kilogram plates off my barbell. For someone who trains over 20 hours a week I'm the laziest person I know. It seems I am not to bright either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 10:16am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    So I've been dabbling in Crossfit lately, at least the stuff for which I have equipment and doesn't involve running (which I hate on principle).

I've noticed when I'm doing, for example, something like clean and jerk w/135 for 10 reps, near the 10th I start getting a splitting headache.

Has anyone run into something like this? I've got no idea what it could be. I can only guess that it's due to increased blood pressure or something along those lines, but my BP is pretty normal given my shitty diet.

In before: "it's a tumor".
    I had horrible headaches that I would get after and during lifting, to the point where no amount of aspirin or advil would help. Massive pressure right above my eyes and around the side by my temples. Veins were bulging out of my head. I had had no idea what it was; high blood pressure, tumor, ???

Then it magically went away. In hindsight it was easy to figure out. I just finished using a weight cutting supplement called Hydroxycut. Its loaded with caffiene. One dose is like six cups of coffee. It was classic caffeine withdrawal.

I would just say to quite all your sups with the exception of protein and basic multivitamin and see if it goes away after a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 11:16am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Headaches during intense exercise have been described in literature without any real cause. However, its an exclusion diagnosis; have to rule out intracranial hypertension and aneurysm. Go see your doc.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back in my powerlifting days,
    I used to get those. . .ruled
    out supplements, and foods,
    and went to the doctor.

After a few weeks of testing,
    they found out that it was a
    combination of the drop in BP
    from the change in altitude &
    since I was holding my breath
    a little every rep, thus a lack
    of oxygen to the brain, after
    8-10 reps.

After making sure to breathe
    during and through each rep,
    the headaches went away.

Hope that helps.
    `~/

poser

Posted On:
    10/28/2008 9:49pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know from personal experience that headaches like this could be due to an allergy to cleaning fluid.

Did you switch gyms recently, or start going at different times?

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    11/08/2008 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    So I've been dabbling in Crossfit lately, at least the stuff for which I have equipment and doesn't involve running (which I hate on principle).

I've noticed when I'm doing, for example, something like clean and jerk w/135 for 10 reps, near the 10th I start getting a splitting headache.

Has anyone run into something like this? I've got no idea what it could be. I can only guess that it's due to increased blood pressure or something along those lines, but my BP is pretty normal given my shitty diet.

In before: "it's a tumor".
    It's God's way of telling you it's time to kill another prostitute.

P.S. Stop complaining about having shitty circulation and blood pressure problems if you keep refusing to do any longer-duration steady-state aerobic training whilst smoking and eating triple-steak burritos. It's your own fucking fault.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast