228216 Bullies, 4625 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 7:54am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crazy Headaches when doing Olympic Lifts

So I've been dabbling in Crossfit lately, at least the stuff for which I have equipment and doesn't involve running (which I hate on principle).

I've noticed when I'm doing, for example, something like clean and jerk w/135 for 10 reps, near the 10th I start getting a splitting headache.

Has anyone run into something like this? I've got no idea what it could be. I can only guess that it's due to increased blood pressure or something along those lines, but my BP is pretty normal given my shitty diet.

In before: "it's a tumor".

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 7:56am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you still taking Creatine?

I had to stop it altogether because of the headaches it was giving me.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 8:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm taking this:

http://www.cytosport.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=4

Which should (in my amateur assessment) lower blood pressure somewhat. I have had creatine headaches in the past, and those fucking suck; it's like some asshole midget is behind one of your eyes trying to kick it into your lap.

I'm not sure they're the same thing, unless it's just being brought on by the exercise.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 8:03am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had those on a couple of occasions, specially on the back of my head (near my left hear) or right in the middle of my horrendously manly unibrow :tongue: (the last type resembling the dreaded "ice cream" headache.) You might not be off the mark when it comes to blood pressure (at least localized on the head). Shouldn't be that much of a concern, though.

Do you, by any chance, suffer of sinus, rhinitis or allergies? I know that my sinus causes that problem sometimes. I just take some claritin, do some nasal irrigation and then I'm all good.

Also, you might want to decrease either the volume (reduce the # of reps to 7 or 8) or the load (110-120), and then see if the symptoms persist. Then, if they do not, stay with that volume/load and begin to increase either accordingly.

-- edit --

What Asriel suggested on creatine. With high volume, that thing sometimes gave me a headache as well.

-- edit --

Oh, it could also be the volume AND intensity. If you are doing them "for time", you might want to split a set into two 5-rep sets, with some seconds of rest in between.

Kinda defeats the purpose if you are doing the reps for time, but little by little you decrease the mini-rest time until you can do all 10 reps continuously without having splitting headaches.

Also, check BSN Nitrix. That thing worked great for me, like creatine, but without the headaches and the constipation.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/09/2008 8:07am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 8:04am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ease off on the V manaevour maybe?

I used to get light headed when I started power cleans. It may be something to do with the sudden drop in blood pressure that is caused by explosively standing up. Its called something hypotension.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My headaches were exactly as Phrost described it.

Feels like someone's trying to push your eye out from the inside. I stopped taking CEE and the headaches stopped almost instantly.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 8:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hrm... I'll try a few workouts without the stuff. It's really not doing much anyway and I'm only using it because it has fewer calories than gatorade and it's in my cabinet.

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 9:03am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could be if you are holding your breath during the lift. This causes extra pressure on the chest and heart which can result in momentary spikes in BP.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 10:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Ease off on the V manaevour maybe?
    Yeah, I'm going to blame Dr. Valsalva for this one. Try focusing on exhaling smoothly through the lift, not holding your breath. You could also do some process-of-elimination by doing high pulls instead of cleans - if not doing the catch = no headache, the high BP would logically be from the bar compressing you as you catch it.

Alternately, if it's dehydration, you can confirm and solve that quickly - more water and (a bit) more salt throughout the day, and squeeze some sports drink cut with water in between sets.

Creatine headaches suck, but based on my own experience, if they persist past the end of the loading phase, see the section on dehydration.

As noted above, dizziness could be low blood pressure. Alternately, it could be low blood sugar. But since you're not reporting dizziness, that's academic.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 5:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/CM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You think headaches are bad. I used to do 1 clean and jerk to get my barbell on top of my bench so I could do squats before I purchased a power rack. Just after I got it to the top and placed the barbell on the bench I would often start to loose consciousness and black out. Sometimes I would notice myself starting to fade and slump over the barbell and hold on for dear life. My god I suck balls.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast