Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 11:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin\Judo\BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained in two places (in Costa Rica and here in Colorado), and bowing to every high rank individually and thanking training partners after every drill does sound a bit odd, but other than that it sounds about right.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 11:18am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what kinda thing should we expect from a typical class?

Do they still learn and practice Kata? Do line work? Is there the dreaded 1 step sparring?

Eddie, you going down there?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 11:19am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like what we get at my club, but taken to the extreme. We bow when entering, but nothing so formalised and rediculous as that, nor do we have to run everywhere. We have an "opening ritual", we go to seiza and bow, we have a closing ritual, same again, and we stand up and bow at the end and say "thank you sensei", if you thank anyone else its because you want to after because of something they helped you with. This seems very over formalised.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 11:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a hard work out, pad work, body conditioning, KK sparring, and karate related stuff (i.e., kata, kihon, 1-step sparring).

Yeap, all those things are still there (it is karate after all). However, they are not the central focus as they are in other karate styles.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So they do actually do pad work?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 11:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They should be doing a lot of pad work! In both places I have trained pad work was very important!

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 2:28pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm...let me play devil's advocate here.

Most styles with any element of "Tradition" tend to water that aspect down once established in an outside country. This is common sense.

However, some schools/instructors maintain a close tie to the home country, and often visit/train there. These instructors will often encourage students to accompany them...or even host massive trips for the entire school.

For these schools/instructors, it makes sense to conduct class as closely to the "Home Base" as possible, so as to avoid shock/embarrassment when on these trips with new students. In addition to maintaining uniformity and creating a comfort level with the "Base" set of traditions, this also creates a tangible connection to the larger group as a whole...as everyone is "On the same page", so to speak.

Before you dismiss this school out of hand, I would check and see if such is the case with this group. I would also check how KK classes are typically held at the home base in Japan to verify the reasoning for such stringent etiquette rules.

It would be a shame to dismiss a quality school due to a misunderstanding of the bigger picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 4:42pm

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Kyokushin dojo I attend does all of the etiquette mentioned on that site minus having to bow to all the higher belts sequentially, and it doesn't really bother me, since most of it is done to show respect and gratitude to the people who just beat the **** out of you, so it's not a bunch of empty ritual meant to fellate the ego of the sensei.

Plus, OSU is fun to say, and it's a lot easier to say when you're out of breath and exhausted than something like "YES SIR PLEASE SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER".

As for training, it's mainly a lot of stretching, exercises, and basic kihon, consisting of two hours, followed by, typically, half an hour of hard free sparring. Not much pad work, since we're generally expected to practice our technique on each other.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 7:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    However, some schools/instructors maintain a close tie to the home country, and often visit/train there. These instructors will often encourage students to accompany them...or even host massive trips for the entire school.

For these schools/instructors, it makes sense to conduct class as closely to the "Home Base" as possible...
    Satori, I'd think that Shihan Lowe, being or having been IKO North American Chairman, IKO Branch Chief for the United States, IKO International Committee Chairman, would have it down. Japanese Kyokushin bbs were a part of his dojo. The level of ritual in London sounds way more than Hawaii, which was pretty relaxed that way. It was the type of school where the instructor never has to raise his voice because there is lots respect and training is taken seriously.

I think the these Brits are like the local Utah Chung Do Kwan TKD: they try to out-do the Koreans with a military type presence with every command barked out. This dojo might well train great fighters; it's too bad, though, that they will have to "run" all the time getting to that stage.

Sounds to me like they are imitating a preconceived notion of Jananeseyism, perhaps with a bit of a halole inferiority complex. I have been told by owners of martial arts dojos in Utah that "we don't train with that silly military tough attitude like the Japanese." Since none of them have actually spent any time training in a Japanese Sensei's dojo, and I have in three, I know that they are full of ****. The Japanese teachers and dojo owners I have trained under were great fighters, great athletes, and made jokes and smiled a lot.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/09/2008 7:18pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 7:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe it's because the Japanese already speak the language so don't need to memorize words and phrases, live the culture so don't need to learn it and all that, but...I've seen far more "formality" and far more talk of "Eastern traditions" and **** like that on this side of the Pacific than I ever did where I trained (and visited) in Japan. There, all bows were curt, quick and easily missed and there was little--if any--talk that wasn't strictly and technically fight-related...unless it had to do with where everyone was going for beer after training.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast