Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/08/2008 11:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Virtually Pointless Thread about Dislocating My Toe

The one that goes "wee wee wee" all the way home. Class ended today and I decided to stay and work on my kicks. After some sensible practice on my less than stellar roundhouses I decide to up the ante and practice my spinning kicks. While pivoting on my right foot my pinkie toe snags the mat and stays put whilst 235 pounds of me continues to spin. The predictible result is that my toe ends up sticking out at a 90 degree angle from my foot. As soon as I touched it it sprang back into its usual position and other than a bit of residual pain it seems fine. I taped it to the the piggie that had none and I think that's the end of it. I was just a bit curious if this has happened to anyone else.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 1:02am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This better not be an excuse not to spar with me again.

Weak

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 4:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vorpal you big girl, you have 9 more toes, you'll survive.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 4:16am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True story:

I was training with a Judo teacher who thought he was an expect on Bones. An Aikido instructor who was training with us hurt his toe quite bad. The Judo guy looked at it and remarked that it was dislocated and he would re-set it.

Anyway, the blood curdling scream that followed and the muttered "Oh, actually it's broken" that followed still make me chuckle to this day.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 7:28am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Domite, it's hardly what I would call a disabling injury. I should be there Sunday.

Lily, last time I counted I have 11 more, being inbreed trailer trash does have it's advantages after all.

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 8:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, this has been discussed before but...anyway, one of our 1st Dans also did this about 4 months ago. I spoke to our Gym manager who is quite adept at re-seating the toe but he said that he would not do it if it had been the first time it had happened as it might be a broken toe and he would be aggravating the injury.

Our 1st Dan went to St Thomas' and the duty doctor assured him it wasn't broken but he'd take an X Ray just to be sure. He then returned to apologise for being wrong and the toe was indeed broken.

Solution. Bandage to its neighbour, stay off it for a while. Use painkillers - remember, pain is a sign that you're doing something wrong so don't be macho or you'll just inhibit your own Recovery.

235lbs? Good Lord.

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 9:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I'm 6'3", not saying I couldn't stand to lose a few pounds before bikini season rolls around again. I'm glad I'm not the only spaz though.

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 3:43am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like everyone here who mentions their weight is at least a deuce. Are all of you bastards bigger than me?
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

Weak

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 5:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vorpal - I can imagine it hurts like f*ck. I've fractured and dislocated 5 out of my 10 toes so far, some more than once. Just tape them, be careful of the little gaps in the mats, wear shoes and train for a week or two.

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 5:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it kinda hurt. But after completely destroying my left nut last year my pain threshold scale has some new upper limits. If my toe hadn't been sticking out at a strange angle I doubt I would've even noticed much.

Training with shoes is a good idea. Unless I get into a fight at the beach or my wife's relatives houses in Japan (actually, that's probably going to happen) I'll be wearing shoes anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast