Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 9:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vibram Five Fingers- Programming?

Recently I stubbed my toe at work. The nail peeled back, and it bled and bled. This was the third time that this has happened. I decided to find a solution. Enter the toe protecting sandal/shoe.

I got the KSOs. They are awesome. They protect my feet from derelict toys, lifeguard towers, biohazards etc, and more importantly they don't slow me down in the water.
    Criteria met.

But after looking around online I want to start running with them. Herein lies the question- What would you guys recommend in terms of a schedule to get my feet used to these things?

Here's a link to Vibram's website:
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...oducts_KSO.cfm
    Last edited by Fishgod; 9/16/2008 2:22pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 9:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KSO's offer very little support and cushioning.

Unconditioned legs + Running in Sandals = impact stress injuries

Wait for your toe to heal and run in proper shoes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 9:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KSO's offer very little support and cushioning.

Unconditioned legs + running in sandals = impact stress injuries

Wait for your toe to heal and run in proper shoes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 9:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I few things I forgot to clarify- I run generally every other night, 3-6 miles fartlek. This won't be my introduction to running, if that's what you meant by unconditioned legs.
    Naturally, I won't be beginning with this kind of mileage while running in these, I'm just interested in strengthening and conditioning my feet to be able to withstand the impact of running barefoot.

Also the toe has healed up.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 11:58am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put goddam links to the websites that make the products under discussion. Otherwise some readers won't know what the bloodly rat ass you guys are talking about :biblethum

*** back to my silent lurking ***
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 8:41pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 10:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the point of the vibrams is getting the barefoot experience, but with some protection. you're not supposed to have cushioning and support, that's what your connective tissue and muscles are for.

i'd say take it easy at first; don't try and go straight into your normal running routine right away.

my last pair of vibrams had a flaw (shortseamed) and had to go back. i'm waiting for my new pair right now, they're on order. kinda can't wait until it gets cold so i can try the 'flow' series.
    :new_all_c

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 10:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a load of horse ****.

http://RunningBarefoot.org/?page_id=841

That FAQ response speaks volumes about the intellectual bankruptcy behind "running barefoot".

This one is even worse...

http://RunningBarefoot.org/?page_id=844

This is just new age hippy "natural" bullshit. Sometimes the natural way ISN'T better. Yes, humans were "designed" through evolution to run barefoot. We were also "designed" to live to be about 35-40 years old. It's only through modern medical and scientific breakthroughs that we have been able to attain the quality of life we enjoy.

This is of course, leaving out that we weren't designed to run barefoot on PAVEMENT (or over broken glass for that matter) and that most people, due to poor genetics, lack of training or both don't run properly in the first place.

The cool points you'll get with the cute granola chick working at the vegan juice bar aren't worth the shin splints, or the ankle and knee pain most people will develop over time with this style of training.

Posted On:
    9/16/2008 11:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :beatdead:
    :new_all_c

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/17/2008 9:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

I've decided to start off with a light jog, about a mile, every other day in these to be done right after my regular runs. I'll probably wait to try sprinting in them until I can actually run without feeling like I'm hitting my heels with a hammer.

After a week or two I'll report back.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast