Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 11:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo, Kyokushin n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Butt **** Egypt?! Get serious, I'm going on vacation there this summer!

If you're from Orange, do you ever run into the DP Kempo guys at tournaments or seminars? They're good people.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/11/2008 1:02am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Orange or Egypt?

I'm going to be in the area in April.

Posted On:
    11/11/2008 1:09am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, come back to eastern Canada so we can spar sometime.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/11/2008 2:31am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plane Ticket is $780. Isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Posted On:
    11/11/2008 2:50am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yessum...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 6:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my son and i study SKK together, i hold a BB in kung fu san soo and for the most part i agree not enough ground work in SKK. But i do enjoy alot of other things about it the forms are good the combinations seem pretty solid and i have good instuctors. We are not a Villari school so i can not comment on the man one way or the other

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 11:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

IMO anything that was in the style when it was Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu was fine, since most of that material was takenly directly out of Kajukenbo, a martial art that has a SOLID reputation. SKK included all the combinations from 1-26 that were in Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu. Fred Villari added 27-108 combination, Nengli North and South, Sho Tung Kwok, tai si mung, invincible wall, five dragons facing the four winds, immortal monkey (srsly?) and a lot of others. Every form taught after Hon Tsuki with the exception of one was added by Villari. I believe there is a form Nick Cerio taught as the Leopard Form that Villari took and renamed, I can't remember what it is now. Basically there was just a shitload of material added that I can't see there being a reason for, and I still can't find a reason for adding the five animal system. As far as I know Fred Villari NEVER studied five animal kung fu at an expert or even intermediate level. Anyways, if you believe Hick's law, all that extra stuff is just going to delay your reaction time from you trying to pick too many things to do instead of keeping it simple.

I personally wish I had some good options around for Judo, since the ones I've learned in Kempo would make anybody who takes Judo or Jujutsu break down into tears. They're not pretty. I won't even start on the standup stuff either. All I'm going to say is there was a reason I started Kyokushin beyond just wanting to take more karate.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 1:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    basically here my choices are SKK (which i do enjoy) or TKD which i really do not care to learn

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 3:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats rough man. Well if you enjoy it then stick with it, just remember to hit hard and stay conditioned.

Whereabouts is your dojo?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmachine
    I was originally going to go off on Kempo, Shaolin Kempo or Villari Kempo, but I decided not to bash my parent system that has received many a deservid beating on this web site. Any ways, over the past few years my instructor has incorporated a lot of submission grappling into our standard jujitsu cirriculum and we have concentrated on standard standup fighting and grappling tecniques. We became a PIT affiliate and our cirriculum is about 50% standup and grappling plus a lot of conditioning. A lot of MMA stuff since Hackleman the founder of Hawaiian Kempo and THE PIT is also an MMA coach and more.

My question, has anyone elso abandoned there traditional kempo system for something else?
    Do a forum search with "Punisher kenpo" and you will see a lot of stuff chronicling my own kenpo journey.

My instructor started with EPAK, then made his own kenpo style (Five Animal Kenpo). I'm currently working on taking it to the next level, evolving it to a point where it can't be called kenpo anymore, at least when compared to EPAK, Five Animal Kenpo, or SKK. Thats why I call what I do, Five Animal Fighting. I am no longer restricted to just "kenpo".

My MMA striking coach is also a 4th Dan in the Tracy Kenpo system. About 10 years ago he came up with own "Modern Kenpo" style that integrated MMA and Kenpo. It never got off the ground, but I've used a lot of his ideas at my school.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast