--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Ivan Salaverry Tapped Joe Riggs with it

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 6:10am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread gives me a blatant excuse to post one of my competition videos.

YouTube - NSC 2008: Mark vs Ciaran

Watch from around 1minute in.

Thats how I normally use my legs when taking the back - i use the triangle when I'm purely attacking the neck, but I am happy to go back to hooks to try and trap an arm, step on the hip for control, etc. Like any position its important to stay active and not just passively try and hold - you've got to be confident to open your triangle if he rolls onto the side your ankle is crossed as thats his escape, similarly sometimes you can get stuck with the triangle if he has good RNC defence and you'll need to switch to the hooks to trap an arm for the RNC or to distract him, or to turn him, or to armbar/reverse triangle, etc etc.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 9:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose
    This thread gives me a blatant excuse to post one of my competition videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgNQ6SIm3b0

Watch from around 1minute in.

Thats how I normally use my legs when taking the back - i use the triangle when I'm purely attacking the neck, but I am happy to go back to hooks to try and trap an arm, step on the hip for control, etc. Like any position its important to stay active and not just passively try and hold - you've got to be confident to open your triangle if he rolls onto the side your ankle is crossed as thats his escape, similarly sometimes you can get stuck with the triangle if he has good RNC defence and you'll need to switch to the hooks to trap an arm for the RNC or to distract him, or to turn him, or to armbar/reverse triangle, etc etc.
    Great vid, i was really diggin on the rubber guard. The only piece I have to offer about the body triangle is driving your hips into your opponent. Besides giving you a tighter triangle it puts pressure on the lower back and stretches the neck out making it easier to sink the choke.

Edit: Also ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS in every triangle, flex your feet, squeeze your knees, and pull your heels to your butt

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 9:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Judo - Crappler!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my experience, if they are thrashing about in desperation to escape, i use a body triangle, and i am pretty short at 170 cm. I also use this in drills when controlling the back, i use a body triangle almost immediately because the first thing most people do from a drill is try and explode from the position... especially new white belts.

The problem comes when they twist you onto the side where you have the 'knot' of your feet and your knee crossed over. If they roll onto this they will **** your ankle, but it is very simple and easy to learn to change from one body triangle on one side to the other really quickly without leaving them much room to escape.

Finally once i have them calmed down i usually move to hooks in position and work my usual back game of trying to trap an arm and finally work the choke.

I'm a small guy at 65 kilo and i pull this off with a high success rate, but see if it works for you, if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 10:32pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to go for the body triangle too often for my own good, it's not uncommon for me to lost it and end up in guard before I know it. I'll need to use some of the advice here on maintaining a good body triangle. (and not be a white belt)
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 12:57pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    Also, did you know that Eddie Bravo calls the body triangle 'the anaconda'?
    I was under the impression that the Anaconda was an arm choke you apply as a counter to the shot.... with the gator rolling then curling up?

And that you can break people's ribs with it? And that you can tap someone with the body triangle alone?
    Teach me to do this. My body triangle seems to be lacking in rib-breaking-ability...
    Just have REALLY strong gracillis muscles? Is this like how some of my stronger instructors used to be able to just squeeze me till I tapped in the closed guard?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 4:40pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyduh
    I was under the impression that the Anaconda was an arm choke you apply as a counter to the shot.... with the gator rolling then curling up?

Teach me to do this. My body triangle seems to be lacking in rib-breaking-ability...
    Just have REALLY strong gracillis muscles? Is this like how some of my stronger instructors used to be able to just squeeze me till I tapped in the closed guard?
    i'm pretty sure he was just making fun of joe rogan.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2008 9:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyduh

I dont know about breaking ribs, but pink socking someone on the other hand...

Flex your feet like you are doing a hamstring curl, squeeze your knees together, squeeze you legs like you are doing a hamstring curl, and if you are on top control the head and DRIVE your hips into him, beware cannon like sphincters.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/22/2008 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I reverse-heelhooked myself last week from a body triangle. It wasn't sunk in quite deep enough and my training partner rolled to the side the lock was on, my foot slipped out but got snagged on my toes and I was trapped on my side under him. When he hipped into it a bit it the little bones in my foot grinded together and my ankle also popped a little. Very very painful situation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 3:15am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a matter of preference, I prefer hooks to keep it moving.

And if you start feeling self-inflicted pressure on a knee, post a hand on a mat and push off. It readjusts your weight more evenly.

Or you can squeeze like hell. But i find that tiring. Whenever i get body triangled, other than defending my neck, my main escape is to put pressure on his knee. So if you waste just as much energy blocking my escape route, you're not going to have any to spare to choke me out.

Besides by squeezing and hanging on, your opponent is still leading you. If you get his back from bottom, and he rolls to his stomach, you will follow him unless you really squeeze hard and trash in the other direction ( or you lose it and you end up in guard). Pushing off the mat for a moment keeps him where you want him to be rather more efficiently.

Its not like hes going to kimura you anyways from that position.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123