3 months registered

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 8:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok i see...
    the throwing and pulling side of training encompasses about 20% of training, and is used when striking your partner with full force is just not an option.

Of course do drills with mitts and shields that are held eg: under the ribs and full powers kicks are thown into the shield hitting the targets.. same goes for holding the shield on the chest. full powerd kicks are delived.

Mitts held at head level etc are used, and full power strikes are hit...

Its the way that i type, i cant seem to deliver the level of contact used at training in words..

i will try to upload a video in the near future of training for you to check out..

Featherweight

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 8:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude, you're being clear, we understand, but you dont spar at full contact, everything is limited or controlled, no live training... go to a muay thai class and you'll see the difference

Featherweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 10:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok...now i get it..

i understand the difference, i just didnt see the point that was trying to be made..

no we dont train full contact live sparring...

does that qualify the school as being bullshido?..

anyways thats cool..all i can say is i enjoy it...

the whole purpose of this forum is for opinion and feedback..

does IIF or higher learning know of any schools that arent considered bullshido in sydney?

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 10:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kf fighter
    ok...now i get it..

i understand the difference, i just didnt see the point that was trying to be made..

no we dont train full contact live sparring...

does that qualify the school as being bullshido?..
    Not necessarily. If the purpose of the school was to teach forms, like Modern Wushu, it wouldn't be bullshido.

What makes a school bullshido is a made up lineage, claiming self defense with no real contact, false ranks, and a myriad of other things. The claim of self defense, with little contact, compliant partners, and full contact focus mitt training does make it lean that way.

Your instructor fits this criteria in certain ways.

He has a very convenient unverifiable History.
    He lists no real style name that anyone can make a comparison against.
    He received a Gold Sash (hint: This is a relatively new invention in CMA).
    He was tested in an International Kung Fu test.
    He claims he is teaching self defense but, what you described, is not training students with proper contact.

Like you said earlier, who governs kung fu?

See, modern Wushu is different. There are rules to be followed and a specific criteria. If you know how to judge, you can test anywhere. It is also a performance art not self defense.

anyways thats cool..all i can say is i enjoy it...

the whole purpose of this forum is for opinion and feedback..

does IIF or higher learning know of any schools that arent considered bullshido in sydney?
    If you enjoy what you do, have at it. I never fault anybody for training what makes them get out of the house just, don't have a false sense of security.

Drills are good. If all you do are drills you'll never know how you'll react. Yes, I know it isn't a true life situation. Still, I've seen broken toes, sprained wrists, knock outs, broken arms, broken noses, etc all because people didn't understand contact.

Yes, this was during training, quite a few were self injuries because, a focus mitt, bag or whatever doesn't react the way a person does.

Go to the throw down and people can help you out.

Featherweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    10/09/2008 11:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found out the schools is part of the Australan Kung Fu (Wu Shu) Association..
    Under the Moorebank branch..

http://www.akwf.com/members.php?state=NSW

And also the Martial Arts Industry Associastion(MAIA) of Australia.

Does this validate the school and anyway?

Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 12:26am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate you being so open and calm KF fighter, it shows a depth of maturity we really don't see here much. I think further questions will really have to be answered by Gary Martin himself, who has hopefully been emailed by IIF.

If the next throwdown is 3+ months away i'll come along and show you what everyone means by alive resistance and the importance of sparring, i think you'll be suprised by just how differently your body reacts under this format. With the use of protective gear such as gloves you can usually spar pretty hard without even getting a bruised face but we'll go soft first and build up to what you feel comfortable. I've been training Muay Thai for less time than you have in KF and recently started competing so it should be a good eye-opener for how your school compares.

I think its important to note that we're not telling you to quit your school right now, we are just some people on the internet to you. All i ask is that you see for yourself if your training actually works in situations which simulate real fights (contact sparring) and then decide for yourself if your current school is meeting your needs.

Featherweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 12:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    I appreciate you being so open and calm KF fighter, it shows a depth of maturity we really don't see here much. I think further questions will really have to be answered by Gary Martin himself, who has hopefully been emailed by IIF.

If the next throwdown is 3+ months away i'll come along and show you what everyone means by alive resistance and the importance of sparring, i think you'll be suprised by just how differently your body reacts under this format. With the use of protective gear such as gloves you can usually spar pretty hard without even getting a bruised face but we'll go soft first and build up to what you feel comfortable. I've been training Muay Thai for less time than you have in KF and recently started competing so it should be a good eye-opener for how your school compares.

I think its important to note that we're not telling you to quit your school right now, we are just some people on the internet to you. All i ask is that you see for yourself if your training actually works in situations which simulate real fights (contact sparring) and then decide for yourself if your current school is meeting your needs.
    Definatey im up for it...
    Even to meet up one on one for some extra training im always keen....
    Putting the thoery of my training into contact practice will be good to gauge the effectiveness of the training thus far..
    im looking forward to it, and meeting people to train with..

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 9:59pm

Style: White Crane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KF Fighter,

What did you discover about Gary Martin's Gold Sash (10th Duanwei) grading? Who did he do it with? Really interested in hearing about this and his experiences of same.

Achieved Grand Master level in 2006
    However, in the early 1980's Gary faced a new challenge. It was time to step from under his own teacher's wing and seek international approval through an independent Gold Sash grading
    Awaiting your reply.
    Last edited by shifu; 10/14/2008 10:12pm at .

Featherweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 11:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shifu
    KF Fighter,

What did you discover about Gary Martin's Gold Sash (10th Duanwei) grading? Who did he do it with? Really interested in hearing about this and his experiences of same.
    hey pal..
    i have been sick with the flu the last week (been in bed for 4 days) and have not been at training since last monday..

hopefully ill get back to training on friday night and ill be able to find out some answers..

ill keep you informed..

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 11:46pm

Style: White Crane

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem. And thanks for your openness on the subject. I for one am very interested to know the answer as I have read of Gary Martin's exploits in Blitz and would like to know more about his grading, who it was with and his experiences of same and I am sure others would also be interested.

Looking forward to your answer.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast