Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 7:11am

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would own Putin at soccer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76oBjBvfPEo
    If I were that goalie, I would be petrified by the thought of making a save.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 11:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    I'm sorry, are you into judo?
    I'm not that cool....

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 2:01pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nifoc
    And yet, you make it sound like that's a bad thing.
    It's a very cool thing in a bond villain, and Putin is a rockin bond villain.

But the thing with Bond villains is that they are usually building their world destruction machines. Once they already have them, they are much less cool.

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 2:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would own Putin at soccer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76oBjBvfPEo
    You can tell he is a beloved leader by the way that stadium was packed with over thirty people, including the people on the field.

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 2:42pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nifoc
    And yet, you make it sound like that's a bad thing.
    It is. Putin's total control over the media and his own public perception is what has allowed him to silence opposition and slowly erode democratic reforms and free speech in Russia.

Imagine if George W. Bush were evil instead of just incompetent and had a 95% approval rating. You would be worried.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aaaand the fact that Russia has been greatly growing in power, wealth and national pride under Putin. That MIGHT have something to do with how popular the man is. Plus who doesn't like it when their national leader soccer kicks the Americans in the Balzac, which Putin has done a lot of and looked good doing it.

He might be authoritarian, but he's been a damned good leader of the country.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1775
    It is. Putin's total control over the media and his own public perception is what has allowed him to silence opposition and slowly erode democratic reforms and free speech in Russia.

Imagine if George W. Bush were evil instead of just incompetent and had a 95% approval rating. You would be worried.
    Its scary when anyone is in control like that. I disagree with a lot of what Bush has done, but uh, we have a Congress currently controlled by Democrats, and they can't do ANYTHING. Seriously.... They are ridiculously useless. They have done nearly nothing until this bailout.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:15pm

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1775

True, but Putin does not seem that interested in establishing colonies, and does not claim to hear voices. Honestly I'd rather have intelligent and evil rather than incompetent and evil.

And what do you mean by "Imagine if..."??

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:28pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have any problems with George Bush being evil and incompetent, even moreso on an individual level than Putin, but at the end of the day he has multiple checks on his power. Putin does not. In real terms (civilian casualties, etc) Putin has done more direct damage, and more indirect damage through Russias blocking on issues like the Sudan. In ideological terms, he has smothered democracy in Russia and reinstituted a police state. He routinely murders political opponents and reporters, enourages racism, and has attempted to overthrow the democratic governments of multiple former soviet states.

The dude is way cool, but don't fucking confuse that with reality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 3:40pm

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think anyone is naive enough to think that Putin has not instituted A LOT of policies to supress democracy in Russia. In his defense though, Russia is less in the shitter now than when he took over. It is POSSIBLE that his actions were necessary to restore some sort of governmental authority in a country ruled by mobsters and (more or less) robber-barons, many of them were probably both.

What remains to be seen is if he will run for president again come next election, or if he is willing to begin a democratisation of his country. Putin is not an easy man to read and it is actually quite possible that he will back of and hope that Russia works again.

@Hog: I thought it was the Chinese who were vetoing involvement in the Darfur-crisis? Russia and the Chinese often cooperate in the UN security council of course so I may have misunderstood the situation.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast