Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 12:15am

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by East or West?
    I thought fight of the night went to Carrano/ Kobold -- good back and forth action, some stuff I hadn't seen before (foot stomps?)
    OK, this tells me you haven't been following/involved in MMA for too long, so I'll go easy on this response.

Quote Originally Posted by East or West?
    On another note, the "are there shady incentives to handle a fight a certain way" question really makes you look at a lot of MMA fights differently. More than once we've seen top-notch or really good grapplers go to striking with dramatic results (Gonzaga v. Cro Cop, Couture vs Sylvia,) and sometimes with more-or-less what you'd expect (Ortiz vs.Liddell) With Couture it looked like genius, esp. with Sylvia's reach advantage, but what if it were all "incentivized?"

weird.

It really doesn't. All the examples you pointed out weren't suspicious strategic decisions. They obviously weren't fixed/incentivized.

Couture didn't employ an exclusive striking strategy. He used dirty boxing (clinchwork) and the threat of a takedown to open opportunities to strike. That's why his overhand right kept finding a home, it looks like the entry to a takedown. This strategy is right up his alley stylistically, because of his Greco-Roman wrestling background. It also allows him to avoid engaging in traditional striking competition or a submission game.

Gonzaga didn't outstrike Cro Cop, He capitalized on the work he put in wearing Mirko out on the ground. His efforts on the ground, combined with Cro Cop's failure to adapt his training regimen to UFC rules (dealing w/ a cage, elbows, and refs who're less trigger happy in standing the fighters back up) created an opening so huge & obvious, even I saw it. And I'm not a fighter (yet). At that point it was advisable for anyone semi-competent stnding up, to keep pouring on the pressure.

etc.,

The devastating results may have been surprising, but the strategies really weren't.

In all fairness though, I can see how you might be misled, because the commentators sometimes purposely downplay the boring logic of the situation to paint the action as wildly inexplicable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2008 11:11am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimbo never did it for me. He maybe an nice guy, who got a shot of a life time and now wants to earn a living. His strikes did not look correct to me from the beggining. I maybe wront though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/28/2008 7:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man, I wish someone else saw the same fight I saw. Kimbo is far from great. He's media hype and half exciting. He's worked hard and put in the lumps. Great, he got a shot. I don't think it is over, but in the end, he got caught. Check hook to his hidden chin.

Watch what happened after. Two blows directly to the back of the head and neck.
    Yes he was stunned, yes it probably would have been over anyway. BUT...
    now look back at the .gif.....
    now say the words, "Back of the head! back of the head!" while putting your hands behind your neck.
    That's what clearly happened.
    Had he reached around and punched him in the face, I'm still sure he would have been done, but that .gif only explains him being anxious about "his fighter" recieving illegal blows.
    yes, EliteXC are still douchebags, yes, kimbo is technically still "semi-pro",
    yes, he fights bums, because he ISN'T READY! WHAT DO YOU expect?!
    can he bring ratings YES! Can you? probably not, even if you can beat him with a hoping karate kid push kick?

Posted On:
    11/03/2008 11:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai/pencat silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he needs to be more carefull of punches comming to him

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 5:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    h sh m, good points. never thought about the overhand right looking like a takedown. what kind of takedown might follow if it weren't a feint/punch? thanks!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 12:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i like Kimbo too,but honestly the guy has only had 3 fights against hand picked fighters to get him over he's probably a victim here too but whatever Shaw is a douche

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 5:05pm

Style: Injured for 1+ years

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most obviously a double leg. but it can be used for a single, or as the entry point to a clinch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345