218358 Bullies, 8042 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

EliteXC - Douchebag of the Month

Shenanigans.

Yep, we're calling shenanigans on you EliteXC. It was obvious to the least plugged-in MMA fan that you were doing some shady stuff. The questionable stoppages, the blatant mismatches, the feeding of cans to your one "big name" celebrity "fighter".

But a house of cards will come tumbling down at the first breeze, and that breeze, gentlemen, was named Seth Petruzelli.

After his 14 second victory over the man EliteXC promoter Gary Shaw described as "the best striker in MMA", Petruzelli strongly hinted about EliteXC's pre-fight attempts to have him play Kimbo's game.
    M: Even though you only had an hour to get ready for this fight against kimbo, what was your strategy fighting against Kimbo, uh, err, uh, were you tryin to uh, submission him out?

SP: My original plan was to throw a lot of push kicks, called teeps, and try to rush in more, and then shoot in on him, obviously.

M: So you wanted to get him on the ground? There’s no way you wanted to box him standing up?

SP: Not really, but I train with lots of undefeated pro boxers, a couple guys have a belt, and my style kinda throws them off a bit, I have kind of an awkward style. So, I knew I would do alright standing up with him. THE PROMOTERS KINDA HINTED TO ME, AND THEY GAVE ME THE MONEY TO STAND AND TRADE WITH HIM. THEY DIDN’T WANT ME TO TAKE HIM DOWN. LETS JUST PUT IT THAT WAY.

M: Ahhh.. ok.

SP: It was worth my while to try and stand up and punch with him.”

Shame on you, EliteXC. We suspected for the longest time that there was some underhanded stuff going on behind the scenes, and this all but proves it.

It puts this image into a lot better context (original image by Juggo):

If I were Gary Shaw Jr. here, I'd be yelling too. Question is, who was he yelling at... Ferguson or Petruzelli? Maybe someone should ask Hulk Hogan what he heard.

We tolerated the works and one-sided matchups in Pride because it's an offshoot of a pro wrestling organization; a bit of that was to be expected, but they always delivered first rate fights with the top MMA talent in the world nonetheless. What's your excuse, Shaw?

The worst part of it all is that EliteXC is being shown on free television, so for the average Joe Sixpack who'd rather spend money on beer than cable or an Internet connection, this is probably all they know about MMA. Great job making us all look like corrupt assholes.

Consequently, your organization is our Douchebag of the Month.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn it Phrost my arms are tired ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 3:44pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YEAAAAAh

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 3:46pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately this explains much about other elite/strikeforce name fighters. Not that it's a surprise, but it sucks to be right sometimes.

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 3:50pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good write up. I actually didn't watch it (not regretting that any), but the results here just prove once again that Kimbo is probably the one of the most overrated fighters ever.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 4:01pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We tolerated the works and one-sided matchups in Pride because it's an offshoot of a pro wrestling organization; a bit of that was to be expected, but they always delivered first rate fights with the top MMA talent in the world nonetheless.
    As an aside, I really wish more people would understand this.

I agree with this selection; I'm all for competition when it comes to MMA, but EliteXC seems to have deserved its imminent downfall.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 4:04pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I concur and I don't even hate on Kimbo.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A richly-deserved pistol whip. I mean, how hard is it to understand? Put two (preferably well-matched) guys in the cage and let 'em have at it. Instant entertainment. It's not that complicated.

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 4:16pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't hate Kimbo either, I just feel a bit sorry for him. He got caught up in a tsunami of hype and had nowhere to go but crashing full-force into the seawall of reality.

And it's 100% true that the American public loves building someone up to godhood status only to rip them apart the minute they don't actually walk on water. It's like some twisted pre-Roman ritual of ceremonial cannibalism.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 5:05pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    I don't hate Kimbo either, I just feel a bit sorry for him. He got caught up in a tsunami of hype and had nowhere to go but crashing full-force into the seawall of reality.

And it's 100% true that the American public loves building someone up to godhood status only to rip them apart the minute they don't actually walk on water. It's like some twisted pre-Roman ritual of ceremonial cannibalism.
    QFT. Now Kimbo is going to be on the receiving end of some very virulent, hateful diatribe (one that EliteXC is far more deserving off -- excellent choice for Douchebag of the Month btw.)

I really, really like Kimbo. Even if he sucks as a pro fighter, he conducts himself well, he's a brawler (who doesn't like brawlers?) and he did what he was supposed to do, like any person is supposed to do: he made the most out of an opportunity. We could almost say it was a brilliant move by him.

Unfortunately, this really can cripple his wings as a MMA fighter. I see no reason why he should stop. He should train more and improve if he so wishes. But now, it will be far, far more difficult for him to be taken seriously, even if he starts from the bottom up (just like any other fighter with a fighter's dream.)

-- edit --

That $kala animated gif is for freaking shame. Shame on that ************.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast