Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 6:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Folks in the know (Russ, Macho, Raining Blood, etc), thoughts on the trap/hex bar?

I'm in a position to get one for very cheap ($90), and wondering if any of you folks have any experience with the trap bar regarding it's applicability to powerlifting. Have you read/seen/experienced gains in the squat and deadlift with the use of the trap bar? I imagine it'd make a decent supplemental move to train leg drive on the conventional style deadlift, and a good way to remove pressure from the spine with heavy training, but curious what other's opinions are.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 7:53pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used one waaay before I got serious with deadlifts. With the hands to the side and in a neutral position, it almost resembles a squat. You can put a lot on it, and the lift still remains very benign on the back. Good for leg drive, but (IMO) it doesn't hit the glutes the same as a deadlift or a squat, don't know why.

If you can get one that cheap, go for it bro. The other nice thing with the trap bar is that you can do really heavy shrugs with a neutral/hammer grip, hands strictly to the side. That's perhaps the best arm/shoulder configuration for shrugs me thinks.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 7:58pm

Style: Hapkido/BJJ(newb)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pick it up (assuming it is sturdy). Aside from deadlifts, I like them for farmer's walks as well. I end up using the trap bar more for squat assistance these days, but it is worth having.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 8:59pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember one of the guys at elitefts.com who does strongman training, I think it was CJ Murphy, had trap bar deadlifts listed as one of his normal rotation of ME lower exercises. So I guess it's at least applicable for something there, if not powerlifting specifically.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 9:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Murphy on elitefts just reponded to my question and said it was a great buy.

I love getting new toys, haha.
    "Emevas,

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/08/2008 1:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used 'em a few times, and I really enjoyed having them around.

I'd suspect that the trap bar is to deadlifting what the safety squat bar is to squatting in terms of weight distribution (right down the middle, rather than forward/back) and grip (neutral).

Technically, though, there's nothing stopping you from keeping the midline of the bar out in front of your shins if you want the neutral grip without the central weight distribution - you'd just have to consciously get and keep your shoulders out a bit further forwards.

Also, amen to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    The other nice thing with the trap bar is that you can do really heavy shrugs with a neutral/hammer grip, hands strictly to the side. That's perhaps the best arm/shoulder configuration for shrugs me thinks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 6:38am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't say I have ever had much use with the trap bar but it does appear to be quite a common exercise in ME rotations. Defranco is a big fan of them because the weight is more down the midline of the body and the lumbar spine has a very reduced load placed on it.

I would definately suggest buying one for that price. Any additional variety is always good in training and will allow you more flexibility in what you do.

Emevas not sure if you have mentioned it but what sort of training program are you currently doing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 2:26pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another yay for the trap bar here. My gym has one, and I find it a nice break from standard deads. I can pull more weight easier with a trap bar, but it doesn't seem to hit the lower back/erectors as hard. As was stated before, GREAT for leg drive, though.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 2:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining_Blood
    I can't say I have ever had much use with the trap bar but it does appear to be quite a common exercise in ME rotations. Defranco is a big fan of them because the weight is more down the midline of the body and the lumbar spine has a very reduced load placed on it.

I would definately suggest buying one for that price. Any additional variety is always good in training and will allow you more flexibility in what you do.

Emevas not sure if you have mentioned it but what sort of training program are you currently doing?
    As of today I am switching from a program of my own design (based around Pavel's 3-5 with elements of Stuart McRobert's "lifting momentum" and some principles from Westside) onto a full on Westside Barbell template. I had a minor back injury a few months back, which forced me to focus on training my squat and neglecting my deadlift (and much of my posterior chain in general), so theres gonna be a little trouble shooting here and there to find my groove.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2008 2:48pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The trap bar is my go-to for deadlifts. I haven't done many straight bar dead lifts at all. I'm much more comfortable with the T-Bar and can lift significantly more weight with it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast