Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 9:53pm

Style: gun fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    waste of space
    Last edited by HiThere; 10/05/2008 4:51am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 10:34pm

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because a punch is more than just your arm. At least a proper punch with any actualy power is. It is concerted effort of your arm, chest, hips, and legs. Yes, if we threw shitty slap punches like in _ing _un then your theory would hold out that centerline punches are the best. However, even you admit that boxing is far superior in its punches because it doesn't rely on the stupidity of centerline attacks.

BTW, would you mind telling me how "A westerner would throw a punch that, according to how the human body is constructed and behaves, will hurt his own heart, liver, spleen, etc." without the mystical unproven chi flow BS that I KNOW you will employ to explain this rank idiocy? God you are either stupid or brainwashed, although the two are not mutually exclusive.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 11:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm sorry HiThere, but _ing _un is pretty much on par with intelligent design.

i know it's hard to break out of that paradigm you have lived in for many years, and perhaps no amount of debate is going to change your mind. if that is the case, i wouldn't even bother trying to debate over this. you're probably a nice guy, save yourself the pain.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 11:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HiThere
    loads of psuedoscience
    if you wanted to get good at playing tennis would you theorise about it in the same way and never actually play a game of it?

have you ever actually been in a fight?

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 12:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submission Grappling/ mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, this is just awful. This is akin to using e=mc^2 to explain why muscles take power away from your kick.

I will try to demonstrate one way trigonometry could be used by a fighter below.
    At first this looks legitimate, I bet you thought to yourself, "Hey I am using triangles, this means I'm practicing trigonometry."

Triangles obviously apply to the human body. There are triangles all over the human body. So if you are a fighter, and you want to be the strongest you can be, then according to engineering, you want all of the triangles in your body to be aligned as they are designed to be aligned.
    Ok. So this is actually about structural engineering because trigonometry says f&*% all about the strength of a triangle. But that is a minor error and one that you can be forgiven for.

My problem is with this sentence here:
    So if you are a fighter, and you want to be the strongest you can be, then according to engineering, you want all of the triangles in your body to be aligned as they are designed to be aligned.
    This would be true if the human body were a structure made out of metal with uniform thickness whose primary purpose was lying down with outstretched arms AND BEARING LOADS ON OUR GODDAMN FINGERTIPS. Which, last I checked, was not a major goal in my life.

Moving on:
    You should be able to punch with equal efficiency with either the left or right arm.
    Almost every great fighter in history has favored one hand over the other. Even Miyamoto Musashi, the famous duel wielding swordsman, had a more powerful left swing. The rest of your post is based on this axiom, which means I should probably stop here. But the rest of your post is also so wrong it's hard to stop.

Solving the physical system represented by the arms in the picture above using engineering, would prove that one arm could strike the peak of the triangle stronger than the other arm could.
    This is almost true. If you assume that you are not moving your hips or rotating your body (which is f&*^ing stupid) and both arms can generate the same amount of power then one arm will hit the peak of the triangle at less force than the other ALONG THE VERTICAL VECTOR. If you are talking about absolutes than the arms will hit with the same momentum. The only difference between them is the angle at which they hit the target and if you've ever been hit before you know that being hit on the chin at a 20 degree angle compared to straight on feels about the same. In fact I would say that the 20 degree angle feels worse.

Ok, one more and then I'll stop, I promise.
    Since engineering says the maximum power is delivered through something that is aligned...
    I have no idea where what this means in regard to the human body. I asked a structural engineer at NASA what this means and she didn't know either.

If you are referring to the way an arm should be aligned to create the greatest possible power then wouldn't it be advantageous to include the body in that scenario as well?

I am all for science in martial arts, but so far, excluding bjj and anatomy, I've only seen bad science used to affirm bad technique. I would love to see someone base a martial art on scientific principles, but that someone would have to be a genius capable of incorporating all factors of fighting into equations. I'm afraid such a man has not yet been born, but when he is be sure that his brain will eclipse planets.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 12:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brown
    I would love to see someone base a martial art on scientific principles, but that someone would have to be a genius capable of incorporating all factors of fighting into equations. I'm afraid such a man has not yet been born, but when he is be sure that his brain will eclipse planets.
    The name you're looking for is Jigoro Kano. Remember, it doesn't have to be quantifiable to be scientific - repeatable and falsifiable goes a long way.

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 2:23am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here HiThere. I revised the diagram in the picture for you.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 2:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH INDEED SIR

INDEED

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 5:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj / kempo jujitsu / mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who the **** let happeh out of his box ?

somebody is seriously dropping the ball.

megalef *standing ovation* we all agree 100%

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 7:47am

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick quick! someone call a doctor!

he's infected with elmoretheroeticalballoneyium - which is of course, t3h de4d3ly!
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast