Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

help finding classes in essex

I'm completely new to this, but looking for kung fu classes somewhere around southend... or further afield i guess cause im struggling a bit to find anything which looks good closer to home.

I was hoping for the northern style kung fu (shaolin?)... tho all i seem to find that seems reputable are southern styles (mostly wing chun). is there a massive difference between the two? even tho i've looked into it a bit i cant say i really have much of an idea/any experiance. hence newbietown

help?

thanks

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, manicmushroom! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome manicmushroom!

Any particular reason you've chosen Kung Fu?
    Have you had a look at the FAQ for finding a good school?
    Have you trained before? If so in what? If not, what are you looking to get out of your training?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kung fu just appeals to me most out of what ive read so far, but i'm still keeping open minded!

something like boxing, which there are a few clubs around where i live i worry will be too much about hitting someone else in the face... where as kung fu has the breathing, flexibility, balance, and mind side more part of it as well.

i like the idea of northern over southern kung fu because it seems to be a bit more active and agressive rather than focusing heavily on turning an oponents force against them. although i can see the benefit of this as well.

mostly i want to get fit, and have something that can focus that aim and give it more purpose.

and have something i can focus a bit of energy into in my life in general

Style
    BJJ
    Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido!

Quote Originally Posted by manicmushroom
    kung fu just appeals to me most out of what ive read so far, but i'm still keeping open minded!
    In that case, you could check out the BJJ in your area. For Essex, the main club I'm aware of is this:

Team Ryu BJJ
    Shen-ti Martial Arts Academy
    29 Crittall Road
    Witham, Essex
    CM8 3DR
    07912213871 (Lee)

You could also try asking a guy posting on Bullshido as Asriel: IIRC, he either lives or used to live in Southend. Trained some judo there, so might be able to give you details for that place.

General points that might be useful to you, as somebody looking to get started in martial arts:

First of all, I'd recommend you take a look at the FAQ on finding a good martial arts school. In general, signs to look for are a competitive record, regular heavy contact sparring and 'aliveness' (if you're unfamiliar with the term, Matt Thornton has a long article on the topic describing what it is and why it's important: he is the man most associated with popularising the concept).

If your interest is mainly in striking, the safest option if you want decent training is muay thai (which you'll also see as 'thai boxing'), along with martial arts like boxing and kyokushin karate. That's not to say there aren't good schools within other striking styles, but they tend to vary widely in quality.

If you're more interested in grappling, then BJJ would be an excellent choice, as the strong competitive element and ability-based ranking system generally results in high quality training. A cheaper option is judo, which is also much easier to find - the two styles are closely related, the main difference being that judo normally focuses on throws whereas BJJ is mostly about the ground. For more on judo, read the Bullshido.com article - there is an article on BJJ too (you could also check my BJJ Beginner FAQ). SAMBO is another good choice, but even harder to find than BJJ. Then there's wrestling, which is also great training for grappling.

Alternately, you could combine grappling and striking by cross-training in several arts, or at an MMA gym (though technically 'MMA' is a ruleset rather than a specific style). Examples of well known MMA gyms would be Team Quest and Miletich Fighting Systems.

Finally, you could try having a look through the dojo reviews section, which might yield something more specific to your area. Alternately, you could try a Google site search, either off the Google toolbar, or by typing site:www.bullshido.net into Google, followed by the area (i.e., site:www.bullshido.net london).

There are also several school databases you could try. For example, for BJJ:

TrainJiuJitsu.com
    bjjMap.com
    Gym Database (BJJ, MMA etc)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi manicmushroom,

I live and train in Southend, I have done kung-fu and know people who have trained with most of the kung-fu instructers in Southend. It's all pretty typical kung-fu nonsense and I wouldn't bother wasting your time and money on it.

If you want somewhere good to train there are vale tudo and BJJ classes at the boxing gym opposite the palace theatre, or their is an excellent Muay Thai gym above the cricketters pub.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood supporting member
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did I hear my name mentioned?

If you're serious about training in Kung Fu then you'll need to make it to Benfleet and see David Brown. The guy is a serious hard ass and will teach you all the stuff you want to learn about Kung Fu and how to fight properly. From what I remember they have specific nights where you can turn up (if you want) and train MMA rules.

Their website is www.kudosacademy.co.uk

His main styles are Northern 7 Star Praying Mantis and Wing Chun. I used to teach San Da in the School a few years back so I can vouch for it.

The Mantis teaches 1 and 2 man empty hand and weapon forms as well as pad work, sparring, conditioning etc.

Tell him Ben sent you.

However, if you wish to try Judo, there's an excellent club opposite the Palace Theatre and if you google Southend Judo Club, you'll find their details. I believe they train in the same place as Olly's Vale Tudo Club - Team Suregrip who regularaly fight and win at local MMA bouts. One of their guys, Stav, now fights in Cage Rage while another, Ivan has just been signed up for the UFC.

Any of that useful?

Oh I forgot to mention - don't bother with the Meridian Centre in Southend. If you want to know why, ask Olly. He's actually trained there i believe.
    Last edited by Asriel; 10/13/2008 10:06am at . Reason: Frickin typos!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Did I hear my name mentioned?
    Oh I forgot to mention - don't bother with the Meridian Centre in Southend. If you want to know why, ask Olly. He's actually trained there i believe.
    Yeah, it like totally sucks.

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly
    Yeah, it like TODALLY sucks.
    Ah, much more 'Merican ;-)

:eusa_danc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks all of you! i went into the one opposite the palace theatre. there was a guy there very half asleep and the place was a bit of a building site. He struggled through some class info and told me the MMA there was brutal. was a bit wierd.

might try this place in benfleet, i found one in rayleigh the... uk wing chun association or something anyone heard of this?

tbh i wanted a northern style kung fu but couldnt find any around. wing chun gets slated alot... i dont know who to belive
    Last edited by manicmushroom; 10/14/2008 8:30pm at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last