Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 2:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sansoo vs. MMA attempt

Now, recently at school I was trying to get another student to join my martial arts school (Ma Du mixed martial arts academy) after an extended talk about recent fights, gsp, bj penn etc. He had another friend that apparently did San Soo Kung Fu who told him that bjj etc is useless against a san soo fighter because he'll be disabled before he can get close. I of course said that was rediculous, and said friend wanted to fight me. Now, I've only been training a little over a year and a half in bjj and boxing as well as muay thai, with my focus being primarily in bjj, so I agreed to the "sparring" session since, honestly, I was curious to see how he would go about stopping the clinch or takedown. I took 4th in the armed forces pankration, so I was fairly confident I would do fine. However, after talking to the guy on the phone to try to set something up, he immediately said that he was just a "baby" in the art, and would not be a fair judgement of his style vs mine. I asked him how long he'd been studying to which he responded 6 years. I told him I'd only been doing it for less than 2, but he respondes saying that he had no ground game, and we should try against his "street deadly" instructor that scares even him. Now keep in mind that I accepted a "challenge" from him with a 30 lb disadvantage: Me being 170 and him being 200. He told me he challenged me to even get his instructor on the ground, who is 240lbs and about 6'2" to my 5'9". Of course that would be a rediculous mismatch, so I told one of the other students from my school, a student of a little more than 2 years and about 230lbs, and we're heading over to his school on Sunday, respectully just to watch and ask questions (he said to ask his instructor what he would do if we did this, or that etc) and possibly light sparring. This of course would mean that he would come check out our school afterwards. Just wanted to let you guys know, and will keep you posted.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 2:28pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in before YMAS....

EDIT: for spelling and to say that if he had really been doing san shou for six years, shouldn't he know takedowns and takedown defense? or is that just sanda rules?
    Last edited by Beorn; 10/06/2008 2:44pm at .

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 2:29pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "bjj etc is useless against a san soo fighter because he'll be disabled before he can get close."

After 6 years, he should not be saying things like this. I don't think this is going to end well.

edit: oh yeah, wrong forum.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't the YouTube vid that ends with the cracked arm feature a San Soo person being beaten (and broken)?

At any rate, why is the baby San Soo man arranging fights for his instructor? What a dolt. Now it's just up to seeing how dumb the instructor is, I suppose.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 3:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    Doesn't the YouTube vid that ends with the cracked arm feature a San Soo person being beaten (and broken)?

At any rate, why is the baby San Soo man arranging fights for his instructor? What a dolt. Now it's just up to seeing how dumb the instructor is, I suppose.
    If the instructor is worth his salt (regardless of art) then I know at least ONE guy that'll be getting smacked around some...
    you don't issue challenges for other people, especially people that are "street deadly".
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 3:20pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to hear about where these guys are now. (in the vid)

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 3:33pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey you train with ma du.

what's nam like?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 7:48pm

Style: g. barra (blue belt), fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn
    in before YMAS....

EDIT: for spelling and to say that if he had really been doing san shou for six years, shouldn't he know takedowns and takedown defense? or is that just sanda rules?

san soo is not san shou.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 11:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid
    hey you train with ma du.

what's nam like?
    Really nice guy, very humble. Doesn't hold back when he teaches, and actively spars/rolls with all the students. Won't hesitate to show you any move you ask (when you get submitted with something new etc). http://www.iamnam.com/id16.html That's me in the first picture :tongue5:
    Last edited by bbyoshi147; 10/06/2008 11:52pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast