223783 Bullies, 3530 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 12:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me work out what the hell is going on with my body

Ok so I've posted on here a few times about weird going's on with my waist size and came to the conclusion that grappling, weights and a better diet has been increasing my body size all over.

Well recently I've been watching the diet more than usual (by that I mean cutting down portion sizes and having all my carbs before midday) any my waist size is still going up - According to the Tape measure!

The deal is, I have 38" work trousers that I can't wear due to being gigantic and all my jeans are 36" and fall down to my hips even with a belt on. So I was thinking "great, maybe I can get back into those 12 pairs of 34"'s that I just gave to my fucking Brother".

But I just measured my waist and according the tape measure it's 40". FORTY FUCKING INCHES! How is that even possible if my 36's are too big?

I really don't have a clue what's going on now :angryfire
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 12:27pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you measuring yourself around your hips or above them at waist level? I believe clothing manufacturer's use the waist level measurement, but I'm not exactly fashion designer material so your mileage may vary.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 12:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't look that big in your avatar.

Actually I have somewhat the reverse thing going on. My weight has stayed about the same (235) and my size 38 pants that I normally have to hold my breath to button are falling off my hips. My advice would be to not measure anything or weigh yourself for two or three weeks, continue to use portion control with healthy foods and maybe shake up your workout routine a little by changing the exercises (running to ropework, more sprints, high reps w/low weight to low w/high). See if that makes a difference.

If TEM weighs in ignore me and do what he says.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 12:35pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does the mirror tell you? **** tape measures, you could be improperly measuring yourself... It is easily done.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 12:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried at the waist and the hips and it's only a difference of around an inch or so.

The mirror says that I have fat round the middle but either not as much as before or just more muscle.

In fact, is it possible to not be losing fat round the middle but putting on muscle? So you look slimmer or more toned but are actually packing on the inches?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 12:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, If you are doing a lot of core work and your abdominals, your back, and your obliques are getting stronger then they are likely getting larger as well. That means you could drop fat, but still increase your waist measurement by several inches.
    You might also be measuring incorrectly. Run down to a menswear shop and get them to take your measurements. They will usually do it for free.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 12:50pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't let JNP lie to you. He's a fashionista hipster. He'll steal your woman. Seriously.

We just did some measurements in anatomy. I think the easiest thing to do is follow the directions located here. They're pretty straightforward. I also agree about going to a Men's Warehouse-type place and have them take measurements. They'd probably have a clue what they were doing.

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 1:02pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't listen to them, you are growing at an alarming and volitile rate. Soon, your gut will be uncontainable by even the most roomy of availbe trousers, and will spill out onto the streets enveloping any poor pedestrians who happen to get in it's way.

You must be stopped.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 1:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    The deal is, I have 38" work trousers that I can't wear due to being gigantic and all my jeans are 36" and fall down to my hips even with a belt on. So I was thinking "great, maybe I can get back into those 12 pairs of 34"'s that I just gave to my fucking Brother".

But I just measured my waist and according the tape measure it's 40". FORTY FUCKING INCHES! How is that even possible if my 36's are too big?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

I've only seen it documented in women's clothing, so I can't say for sure that a given pants size is actually bigger now than it used to be. But what I can say is that the waist size given for a pair of pants is not the upper limit for a comfortable fit into said pants. Last time I measured my waist, it came in somewhere between 40" and 42" (can't remember exactly), but I was fitting comfortably into a pair of "38 inch waist" pants.

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 1:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To show you all why I'm so confused about this, here is a picture of me from a month or so ago. As you can see (or not) I'm actually quite lanky and pretty much go straight down.

I used to border on a 40" waist when I did no exercise and drank beer every night at the age of 18. To be over taking my measurements when I was at my fattest is quite alarming.

I think the next step is keep a food diary, I must be getting more calories than I'm figuring in my head or something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast