is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 4:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I admit, my view may be skewed because of the people I associate with and the books I read
    Aside: I can only really speak for myself, but I would be surprised if it weren't. I can't viscerally grasp how heavy a barbell with one pie per side would feel across the chest of a representative cross-section of humanity. It's a variation on the false consensus effect... mostly an academic issue when it comes to strength, but it's a real killer when it comes to body image.

I just don't see these levels to be all that extreme for a healthy adult male at 200lbs with a specific goal and good training. Yeah, if they're training to be a better football player, it might be tough, but to be a better lifter? It shouldn't be impossible.
    So it's tough but not extreme... could it be reasonably characterized as, oh, I don't know... advanced?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes...which I believe is what I was saying in the first place when El Macho claimed it was necessary to have that strength foundation in order to perform more advanced workouts.

I'm confused about what we're talking about here. As far as I can tell, it's a debate on what I should be impressed with.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 4:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused about what we're talking about here.
    Well, I'm talking about the appropriateness of strength standards (and how they're labeled). I think that ExRx's labels are generally reasonable, and I honestly don't think it's fair for you to characterize 300/400/500@198 as mediocre in general.

However, that leads into another point...

As far as I can tell, it's a debate on what I should be impressed with.
    I try to look at improvement rather than absolute/relative measurements. It's hard to be impressed when someone puts up a PB that I can do for lots of reps, but anyone who's putting up PBs is doing something right, and I try to acknowledge that.

Now, if the opposite were the case - say, if you were to try for 1RMs and got stuck at 300/400/500, you could quite reasonably consider them mediocre because they're a step back from your best.

*reads thread title*

Oh yeah... books. So Arnold's encyclopedia has come up a few times, and so has Ronnie's book. I take it they're worth checking out?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 4:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, I don't feel they are medicore in general, I feel they are medicore for a bodybuilding hopeful/competitor/active lifter, which is where my original statement came in this thread, when the question was posed of when should a person go on to advanced routines. Said person should go into said routine when they are "advanced". However, when that person is to that "advanced" point, they would now be compared among a group of peers among that category, in which case, it would be a mediocre number.

Take MMA. If someone has a 10-10-0 record, that would be considered a medicore record, or they would be called a medicore fighter. Now, compared to the whole world, that person is very much advanced, as they are competing among advanced competitors. However, their performance is still considered medicore due to how they are being evaluated.

It is quite possible to be advanced and medicore at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive. At no point was I saying that it was medicore for a couch potato to have a 500lb deadlift, but more to the point that I could take almost any 200lb male and within 3-5 years have them pull a 500lb deadlift (or damn close to it). However, I could not take the same average 200lb male and within 20 years have them pull a 800lb deadlift, because at this point I feel we start to get into the advanced and elite categories of lifts, where it's not simply a question of time and dedication, but factors such as genetics, body composition, availability of proper training, and in some cases, chemical assistance.

Arnold's book isn't bad to understand the history of bodybuilding, but as I said, I wouldn't follow the routines in it unless one where already...uh...****, I don't want to say advanced, haha.
    "Emevas,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 5:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    This is why I like Coleman's book since he clearly states that one must built the conditioning to do these type of exercises. Plus they never mention the reality of anabolic steroids which facilitate training effectively like that.
    I hear that colemans book doesnt mention steroids either...?
    Last edited by Portillo; 10/14/2008 5:14pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 5:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, considering Ronnie was a cop at one point, it'd be bad for him to make any admission of use of illegal narcotics.

It's really the one thing that disgusts me about the issue.
    "Emevas,

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/15/2008 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIRC Coleman even kept up his reserve officer status for a while, at least as recent as a couple years ago (according to an article I read).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2008 2:01pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    How many people do you know who have reached 500lbs deadlift at a BW of 200lbs who were not competing in powerlifting?
    Sherdog training logs show 5 or 6 people who roughly match that criteria.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/15/2008 2:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    Sherdog training logs show 5 or 6 people who roughly match that criteria.
    Out of...?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2008 8:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive decided not to get arnies book, i caught a quick read of it at the book shop and it seems too big and too intense. Rather i might keep a look out for Keys to the inner universe. ATM im reading FLAWLESS by Bob Paris which i got from the library.

Ill try to get books from librarys and second hand book shops and just get all the information i can, and use what works and discard what doesnt work. Im also looking into the art of expressing the human body by bruce lee.
    Last edited by Portillo; 10/22/2008 8:28pm at .
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast