Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean, hell, according to Exrx.net, I have an elite level press by strict pressing 245 at a bodyweight of 200. This is funny, considering I have no formal training in the press, and no olympic training whatsoever. If I'm elite, where's my endorsement deals?

Don't take it too seriously.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 10:25am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I mean, hell, according to Exrx.net, I have an elite level press by strict pressing 245 at a bodyweight of 200. This is funny, considering I have no formal training in the press, and no olympic training whatsoever. If I'm elite, where's my endorsement deals?

Don't take it too seriously.
    I can see your point .... and their def of elite is pretty rigorous too (see below) ... I can hit those "elite" numbers and doubt very seriously Im anywhere near the top 1% of weight training athletes (Im 44 for crying out loud) ... unless (maybe) you include in that anyone who has ever been near a weight bench.

Elite
    Refers specifically to athletes competing in strength sports. Less than 1% of the weight training population will attain this level.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 10:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serious hardcore lifter numbers? Any healthy 200lb male should be able to hit them within 3-5 years of serious training. Nothing about those numbers are all that extreme. In all honesty, they're pretty medicore.
    There's nothing mediocre about a 2.5x BW deadlift. Andy Bolton's WR pull probably wasn't 3x BW. (And yes, I have heard of Lamar Gant)

JudOWNED compared "mere mortals" to the ExRx standards. You're comparing powerlifters to them. These comparisons are valid, but they kind of miss the point - these standards are useful in the context of athletes who are training, but training to do something other than the five exercises listed. I mean, an offensive lineman with a clean of 376lbs ("Elite" at 319lbs) is demonstrating excellent (one might say "elite") strength for his size, position and sport, but he's a long way from Rezazadeh's 262.5kg clean and jerk.

Incidentally, if one were to push 300/400/500 @ 198lbs in one of the federations that follow these standards, you'd fall nine pounds short of "Class 1", which is one step below "elite".
    Last edited by TheRuss; 10/14/2008 10:49am at .

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any healthy 200lb male should be able to hit them within 3-5 years of serious training.
    Bingo. Plus eating right (and a lot), and supplementing. Basically, training like an athlete.

Perhaps I misread, but I took your initial post to mean you thought those were average numbers for a healthy male. They are not. I'd say they are above average. And though they aren't up to Pro powerlifting standards, they certainly aren't mediocre.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 11:57am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    I can see your point .... and their def of elite is pretty rigorous too (see below) ... I can hit those "elite" numbers and doubt very seriously Im anywhere near the top 1% of weight training athletes (Im 44 for crying out loud) ... unless (maybe) you include in that anyone who has ever been near a weight bench.
    I need to retract part of this ... I was looking at the wrong table .... I can't bench 362, so Im guess Im not elite ....

goodbye endorsement deals

ha!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 12:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    There's nothing mediocre about a 2.5x BW deadlift. Andy Bolton's WR pull probably wasn't 3x BW. (And yes, I have heard of Lamar Gant)
    This is why I use a 200lb male. Andy Bolton is much greater than that, and if you weigh as much as Andy, odds are your concern is fat loss rather than bodybuilding.

JudOWNED compared "mere mortals" to the ExRx standards. You're comparing powerlifters to them.
    Actually no, I'm comparing bodybuilding hopefulls (which I figured was the whole point of the "muscle/strength" foundation). I figure anyone interested in getting into bodybuilding (as defined by the activity of bodybuilding, building a phsique in line with the standards of certain organizations and competing onstage) is going to have a few years of "basic training" under their belt to get there. You can't shape and sculpt muscle you don't have, and the greats got to where they were by strength training to build the necessary foundation of strength and thickness.

By "the greats" I'm referring to those that held the Olympia for several years. Your Arnies, Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, etc.

I figure anyone looking to compete in bodybuilding would want to meet those bare minimum of lifts before they start deviating away from strength/foundational training and into the realm of bodybuilding. I'm not really alone with this either. Stuart McRobert perpetuated these lifts for "mere mortals" in his book "Brawn", and I've read other articles saying they were a good baseline to judge off of.
    "Emevas,

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 12:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED
    Bingo. Plus eating right (and a lot), and supplementing. Basically, training like an athlete.

Perhaps I misread, but I took your initial post to mean you thought those were average numbers for a healthy male. They are not. I'd say they are above average. And though they aren't up to Pro powerlifting standards, they certainly aren't mediocre.

No, I was talking about average for someone wanting to get into bodybuilding. Again, maybe I've misunderstood the whole idea of a "strength foundation", but I interpretted as meaning a place to branch one's training out from.

I still contend that they are pretty mediocre numbers for anyone that competes in any sort of iron game. I think a lot of people feel that the term mediocre is somehow negative, when in fact it's simply a state of non-excellence. They are not in any way bad or poor numbers, simply not great one.

Although I can't agree with eating right in so much as eating big, as my diet is none to admirable, haha.
    "Emevas,

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, I thought you were referring to hobbyist lifters, which is what I took Portillo for. If you're talking competitors, then yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By "the greats" I'm referring to those that held the Olympia for several years. Your Arnies, Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, etc.
    That "for several years" is mighty crafty of you. I'd be mildly surprised if Jay Cutler could pull five hundred pounds.

In any case, I stand by this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    There's nothing mediocre about a 2.5x BW deadlift.
    A 322.5kg pull @90kg (that's 3.58x BW) will earn you the (unofficial) Canadian unequipped deadlift record. Mediocre to national title in 200lbs seems... somehow out of proportion. And I'm not just saying this because my personal best is less than 500lbs.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 10/14/2008 12:30pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 12:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is indeed mighty crafty, haha. I think Cutler is more a product of politics personally. He wasn't in his best last year, and still made it through.
    "Emevas,
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast