Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2008 5:21pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ My favourite bodybuilder is The Golden Eagle Tom Platz!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 8:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Why would you want that? You need to find a simple plan and stick to it. In particular, stay away from machines. They are useful only for what I'd call "intermediate" or "advanced" bodybuilder, someone who already has established a muscular base.
    I know this is going to sound stupid, but how do you know when you have a muscular base?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the idea of a 200lb man having a 300lb bench, 400lb squat, and 500lb deadlift. Stuart McRobert's "Brawn" had some other good ideas.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 10:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, those weights are far beyond those of even normal, fit 200lb men, imo. Those are serious, hardcore lifter numbers. When I was lifting regularly and heavy, I got up to a 230# bench, 250# squat (though I'll admit that is a weak lift for me) and a 350# deadlift. I'm 5'8" and weighed about 185 at the time, and I think those are decent numbers.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 10:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED
    Man, those weights are far beyond those of even normal, fit 200lb men, imo. Those are serious, hardcore lifter numbers. When I was lifting regularly and heavy, I got up to a 230# bench, 250# squat (though I'll admit that is a weak lift for me) and a 350# deadlift. I'm 5'8" and weighed about 185 at the time, and I think those are decent numbers.
    Well, mixed martial artists are athletes, so that's who we're comparing ourselves against.

Based on these standards, 300/400/500 @ 198lbs BW would put one at "advanced" in all three categories, which is defined as:

An individual with multi-year training experience with definite goals in the higher levels of competitive athletics.

Posted On:
    10/13/2008 10:48pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Portillo
    ^ My favourite bodybuilder is The Golden Eagle Tom Platz!
    Mine is still Arnold in his prime , ironically he couldnt even win a gym contest in todays bodybuilding competitions. Nowadays these pros are 300 lbs ripped. The pharmacology is just so much more advanced.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_e
    I made the same observation, oftentimes articles/books written for women's bodybuilding/strength training are superior to those written for men. I wonder why that is.
    Well, unfortunately, men's magazines are sex magazines in disguise as well as bodybuilding (or fashion trends) news magazines. No men's magazine has ever sold successfully without the obligatory "hawt" pictorial of the month. That right there tend to lower its quality as a source of training information by taking up space and focus.

Next, I'd say that 1/3 of the magazine is regarding news coverages and editorials on either bodybuilding or fashion trend. What remains needs to cramp up something that's eye catchy, the latest RAAAAAARGH ZHIT OMG BATISTA 300 muscle pumping plateau breaking routine by someone who has been doing this for years...

... which they neglect to mention in addition to neglecting all the other things that usually come with it (rehab/preventive workouts, stretching, warm ups, rest, the boring stuff that us average mortal tards must go through.) This is why I like Coleman's book since he clearly states that one must built the conditioning to do these type of exercises. Plus they never mention the reality of anabolic steroids which facilitate training effectively like that.

Then you have the ads, part of them legit fitness stuff and the rest sex-related advertisement (take ground gorilla testicle powder to get an extra inch you-know-where and buy the latest hawt six-pack cybernetic tits bitches DVD or a free subscription to homo-stallion.com or some crap like that.)

Women's magazine on the other hand are strictly focused on well-being and methodologies. Whoever said men and women are equally, he/she was wrong. There is a distinct preference on topics. Women are more careful how they train, they are more methodical and like to work out gradually (sometimes too careful.) But overall, that's the methodology one must follow to get results and remain, more or less, injury free.

Then there is the natural focus of those magazines regarding the lower body (again, a preferred subject for womens as opposed to mantards "whatcha bench?") and secondly on the back. And naturally, the way to a better body (either on looks and/or function) lies on the lower body and back.

That pretty much sums it up what IMO is why men's "health" magazines fall uber-short compared to magazines geared to the women's population.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 9:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED
    Serious hardcore lifter numbers? Any healthy 200lb male should be able to hit them within 3-5 years of serious training. Nothing about those numbers are all that extreme. In all honesty, they're pretty medicore.
    "Emevas,

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah dude, those numbers are putting you in the vicinity of advanced... at least according to the good o'l exrx

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/14/2008 10:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to exrx.net yes, but they're ratings are pretty arbitrary. A 532lb squat at 220lbs is elite? I've seen men at that weight squat 1000lbs. Is a 550lb squatter the same as a 1000lb squatter?

Like I said, it shouldn't take a 200lb fit male more than 3-5 years to hit those numbers, assuming they have proper training, which is about the time they can start considering diverging into bodybuilding, or furthering their powerlifting careers, or looking at Strongman, etc etc. It's a muscular base, a foundation.
    "Emevas,
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast