北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re: Books

Dude, do yourself a favor and just go to your local public library. Get Arnold's book. Get a couple others (make them inter-library loan you that **** if they don't have it!). Then read them. Use them. Figure out the one that is most valuable to you and then buy that one. ...Off of amazon. I got Arnies book for, like, 10 bucks.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I picked it up for $8 at a Border's outlet.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 2:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just can't agree with me about anything, can you Em?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, I thought your idea was a great one =P It's easy to find the book on discount.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 2:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol I'm just playin'.

Posted On:
    10/07/2008 4:36pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also the internet is a vast source of good training tips running the gamut from how to train , how to diet ,supplements etc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2008 3:35am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Why would you want that? You need to find a simple plan and stick to it. In particular, stay away from machines. They are useful only for what I'd call "intermediate" or "advanced" bodybuilder, someone who already has established a muscular base.

If you are just starting, stick to the basics. Better yet, get Rippetoe's book and follow the StrongLifts' 5x5 program (see my sig) as previously mentioned, or use DeFranco's WS4SB, either approach to be followed w/o interruptions for at least a year.

-- edit --

what foxguitar said.
    I guess its because i want a book about bodybuilding exercises, good form, and nutrition. Im not really interested in arnies book because of the history of bodybuilding and the bodybuilding hall of fame.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/08/2008 7:00am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That still doesn't make sense in wanting to have a book with (and I quote you verbatin) every free weight and machine exercise imaginable, in particular with machines.

Even if you were to have it, you would not be able to use it. People get hooked in these exercise encyclopedias, never really getting off the ground with a simple 12-24 month plan. Paralysis by (bad) information overflow.

If you find such a book, that'd be great. Don't make the mistake, however, of trying to base your bodybuilding training with it, though.

Good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    10/08/2008 8:14am

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any book will be a good starting point , But over the years I found the best why to learn is to watch experienced trainers working out and borrow things from them . Obviously you may have to modify their work outs simply because they may bench pressing 315 for reps.

And ask alot of questions. You will learn best by getting into the gym and doing.

If you are just starting out stick to the basic tried and true compound exercises and stick to free weights.

Machines are great but you will benefit more from the free weights in the beginning.

For example which do you think is a better exercise a Lat pulldown or a real chin up ?

The real chins are better.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/08/2008 1:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not really interested in arnies book because of the history of bodybuilding and the bodybuilding hall of fame.
    Yeah, god forbid you learning anything about history or the pioneers in fitness and bodybuilding! ...Or, you know, just read the parts about the lifts, routines and nutrition. I can understand about the hall of fame pics, though. Kinda make you feel all funny inside, don't they?

lol
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast