Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 3:09am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bodybuilding books

Anyone read any good bodybuilding books?

Im looking for one to buy, so far ive somewhat narrowed it down to the encyclopedia of bodybuilding by schwarzenegger, and keys to the inner universe by bill pearl. The universe one i cant get from my local bookshop, they said id be better off searching for it at 2nd hand book stores.
    Last edited by Portillo; 10/06/2008 3:35am at .

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 6:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to look strong go ahead and follow what you read in bodybuilding books. If you actually want to BE strong do weightlifting (snatch, clean and jerk) or powerlifting. Bodybuilding is the bullshido of the strength training world

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 8:15am

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitchslapper
    If you want to look strong go ahead and follow what you read in bodybuilding books. If you actually want to BE strong do weightlifting (snatch, clean and jerk) or powerlifting. Bodybuilding is the bullshido of the strength training world

That is not true about the bullshido . They are completely different entities.

Some bodybuilders are very strong , Obviously Power lifters are stronger but bodybuilders look better .

Both books are fine but the sad truth is without performance enhancers you will get stronger you will get bigger but you will never get as big or as strong as the guys in the mags and the books without the Juice.

It is a sucky truth but a truth they don't tell you in muscle and fitness or Flex magazine

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 9:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best weightlifting book I ever read was "Brawn" by Stuart McAllister (I think I'm spelling that right).

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to look strong go ahead and follow what you read in bodybuilding books.
    Explain to me how that answered portillo's question? He's asking for suggestions on what books to buy. Do you have any suggestions that specifically answer his question? Or do you have a specific question you'd like to ask Portillo to clarify his original question?

If you don't have any, then shut the **** up and stay off this thread.

If you actually want to BE strong do weightlifting (snatch, clean and jerk) or powerlifting.
    How did this answered Portillo's question? He's not asking for your personal opinion on what he needs to do or what he needs to "want". Again, help with the question or get the **** out.

This forum is not your fucking playground for derailing threads away from the original topics. This is going to be your one and last warning.

Bodybuilding is the bullshido of the strength training world
    Ron Coleman disagrees. Besides, it's irrelevant to the OP's question.

Also, don't bring this topic again. It's been discussed ad nausea and usually ends up in a ****-flinging mess. Just as jnp warned you about posting crap in DHS with your "wtf mma kicks =/= takedowns" thread, I'm warning you here. Read the threads and read the stickies to make sure what kind of posts we expect people to make in the the PT forums.

To Portillo:

If you are interested in bodybuilding, I'd suggest you check Ronnie Coleman's Complete Guide to Weight Training:

Amazon.com: Hardcore: Ronnie Coleman's Complete Guide to Weight Training: Ronnie Coleman; Michael Berg: Books

Also, I'd suggest (and you might be surprised) to get a subscription of Oxygen Magazine. It's a women's magazine, but the information contained there is far, far better than what you'd find in men's fitness and bodybuilding magazines.

Also, be mindful that although we cover material that could be used for bodybuilding, these threads are mostly devoted to strength training applicable to martial arts, or at least, on powerlifting and olympic lifting.

You'd get better information on that subject on www.t-nation.com (Emevas and I have accounts there.) On that site, pay close attention to anything written by Christian Thibaudeau (former oly lifter turned bodybuilder and strength coach):

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...rW2aMsa-XlaKrQ

Last but not least, if you have little experience in proper lifting, I'd suggest you pick up "Starting Strength" and stay with its program (or the StrongLifts 5x5 program) for 1 to 2 years. See the links in my signature for details. Either program will give you a good base should you engage in bodybuilding. After all, bodybuilding proper requires a strong base, and that usually takes a year or two at least.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 10/06/2008 9:33am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 9:31am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar
    That is not true about the bullshido . They are completely different entities.

Some bodybuilders are very strong , Obviously Power lifters are stronger but bodybuilders look better .

Both books are fine but the sad truth is without performance enhancers you will get stronger you will get bigger but you will never get as big or as strong as the guys in the mags and the books without the Juice.

It is a sucky truth but a truth they don't tell you in muscle and fitness or Flex magazine
    Somebody give this man a cigar. You hit the nail on the head with that one. :thumbsup:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    The best weightlifting book I ever read was "Brawn" by Stuart McAllister (I think I'm spelling that right).

McROBERT!

How many times I gotta tell you? =P

This thread is making me cry, so I'm going to ignore the posts and respond directly to the TC

If you're looking specifically to train for Bodybuilding, Arnold's is a great book to understand th nuances of bodybuilding (tanning, oil, proper posing, the history, etc etc), although it may be a little dated compared to modern stuff, in which case you might look up Ronnie Coleman's book to get a more contemporary view. In terms of the actual building of your body, Brawn is a great (though extremely redundant) read, as is "Super Squats". For Strength Training, look towards "Beyond Bodybuilding" by Pavel Tsastouline, as well as "Starting Strength" and "Practical Programming for Strength Training".
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 10:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When did he change his name to McRobert?

Sorry brother, too many hits in the head I guess.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, no worries.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    10/06/2008 10:22am

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arnold's book is good and there alot of ones Lee Haney wrote a good one.

Bottom line you will have to experiment and decide what works for you. The one thing about Bodybuilding what works for your friend might not work for you.

seek out a good person who knows his **** about Diet , which plays a huge part and exercises to start you off then you will have to decide what works best for you .
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast