Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2008 3:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kettlebell training

I hear kettle bells are commonly used for strength training in MMA/Grappling gyms.

Why are they good for combat sports and how are they different from regular weights?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/19/2008 11:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're dumbbells that aren't rotationally symmetric around the handle. There's lots of hype surrounding them, initially from the Russian end of the world but now from the different-to-be-different crowd over here as well.

Not that I have any problem with them - at worst, they're only marginally less useful than the equivalent dumbbell, which is still very useful. If having an off-center weight that's trying to twist around in your hand will help you reach your training goals, they're great. If it won't, you'll be fine with dumbbells.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2008 3:28pm

Style: default std

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Cesar
    I hear kettle bells are commonly used for strength training in MMA/Grappling gyms.

Why are they good for combat sports and how are they different from regular weights?
    search this forum for other posts on kettle bells, the topic has come up before. Also, SFGOON (I think) has done a bunch of training with them so can offer some opinions

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2008 3:56pm

Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Cesar

If you're a BJJ guy, you may want to check out Steve Maxwell's site. He's a BJJ instructor who incorporates kettlebells into his training regimen.

www.maxwellsc.com