it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 4:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dorm Workout

Please point me to any threads that already answer such questions if they exist, I couldn't seem to find any.

I'm staying in a dorm for my first year of college, and would like to use the chance to muscle up a bit in the meantime before (hopefully) getting into the combatives class this coming spring. My schedule is too irregular (at this point, hope to change) to get to the gym, and I'm totally unfamiliar with gym culture (if there is one) and etiquette, along with embarrassingly simple **** like which bar to use for what. All things I intend to fix in due time, but what seems to be working for me now is a few small workouts throughout the day.

I'm quite skinny (on a bad day, I border underweight on the BMI scale) with very, very little body fat (no data, just...well, if you saw me, you'd agree). I've got one set of handweights (15s, they're doing the trick for now) and a jump rope (seems to be better for quick cardio than roadwork, but please correct me if I'm wrong). There's no room for a bench, but there is a solid enough chair.

To actually get to the question, what are the things I should be doing with my set-up? I like my push-ups (best is 85 with good form), need to do more jumpropeing, and there isn't a carpet in the building that makes sit-ups any more comfortable than the linoleum. I intend to delve more into burpees soon. I left my Karate back in my hometown, and it was primarily a cardio/flexibility focused affair (point sparring is the only local stuff...*shudder*), and boxing will actually start up for me some time in October, but it's gonna happen.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance.

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 6:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your college should have a gym. If it doesn't join one. You are not going to make gains in your dorm room. Check out a book called "Brawn" by Stuart McAllister, its written specifically for people with your bodytype (ectomorph). Good luck.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 9:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that's what it takes, it'll happen. Thanks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 11:31am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, swashbuckling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try checking out bodyweightculture.com and rosstraining.com. I actually have access to a gym, free, and I don't use it because I prefer bodyweight and other, more unconventional exercises to weight lifting. I think El Macho made a thread a few weeks ago on here about bodyweight training, check that out too if you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 11:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, judo, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Vorpal said, most colleges have gyms, don't they? Given the choice between working out with a limited setup in a dorm room or using a proper gym, there's really no question about which one will be more worth your while. Sure you could work out in your room, but why not take advantage of a gym? You'll probably see faster gains that way anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 12:42pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skepticus
    Like Vorpal said, most colleges have gyms, don't they? Given the choice between working out with a limited setup in a dorm room or using a proper gym, there's really no question about which one will be more worth your while. Sure you could work out in your room, but why not take advantage of a gym? You'll probably see faster gains that way anyway.
    Plus, there is hot college tail walking around at the gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 12:44pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus
    Please point me to any threads that already answer such questions if they exist, I couldn't seem to find any.

I'm staying in a dorm for my first year of college, and would like to use the chance to muscle up a bit in the meantime before (hopefully) getting into the combatives class this coming spring. My schedule is too irregular (at this point, hope to change) to get to the gym, and I'm totally unfamiliar with gym culture (if there is one) and etiquette, along with embarrassingly simple **** like which bar to use for what. All things I intend to fix in due time, but what seems to be working for me now is a few small workouts throughout the day.

I'm quite skinny (on a bad day, I border underweight on the BMI scale) with very, very little body fat (no data, just...well, if you saw me, you'd agree). I've got one set of handweights (15s, they're doing the trick for now) and a jump rope (seems to be better for quick cardio than roadwork, but please correct me if I'm wrong). There's no room for a bench, but there is a solid enough chair.

To actually get to the question, what are the things I should be doing with my set-up? I like my push-ups (best is 85 with good form), need to do more jumpropeing, and there isn't a carpet in the building that makes sit-ups any more comfortable than the linoleum. I intend to delve more into burpees soon. I left my Karate back in my hometown, and it was primarily a cardio/flexibility focused affair (point sparring is the only local stuff...*shudder*), and boxing will actually start up for me some time in October, but it's gonna happen.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance.
    What are your goals?

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will find that many people in your college gym will be pleased to help you, or at least leave you alone to figure stuff out (unless you seem to be about to kill yourself). It's not like the movies where some meathead pokes the skinny guy in the chest and says, "Whadda YOU doin', here, NERD!!!"

Also, burpees are your friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 12:57pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.crossfit.com

Start with the basics, nearly all of which require no equiptment at all, and work your way up to more complicated training.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2008 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate/JJJ by way of MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington
    Also, burpees are your friend.
    ++ on Rosstraining and burpees. You could also research prison workouts; prisoners don't have a lot of equipment when they're in their cells/solitary/whatever and they still manage to get their bulk on.

+++ on the campus gym. Don't be afraid of it, just get in there. The staff will be more than happy to help you sort out how to do what and to spot you if you need it. Campus gyms don't tend to be populated with dicks. +^1000 on the scenery on the crosstrainers.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast