233424 Bullies, 3426 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Asriel's self-masturbatory pat on the back circle jerk thread

I know most, if not all you won't care but I got my Blue Belt the other night and wanted to tell you all since I've been posting on here for a few years now.

So yeah, got my Blue and wasn't immediately amazing like I thought I would be when I first started training :dontknow:

Serious question, would Judo or Wrestling be better for cross training takedowns? I will only be able to go once every 2 weeks or so for now but I'd like to have at least one or two solid takedowns/throws.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 4:45pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    I know most, if not all you won't care but I got my Blue Belt the other night and wanted to tell you all since I've been posting on here for a few years now.

So yeah, got my Blue and wasn't immediately amazing like I thought I would be when I first started training :dontknow:
    Hahahah, congratulations, and no worries. I just got mine, a few weeks ago, too. The majority of people that I've talked to have shared that feeling, though, where you kinda wonder if you really deserve it or not. The thing that perks me up, when I still get subbed by White Belts, is looking at vids of my first few tourney matches and realizing just how far I've progressed.

Seriously, though, congratulations! Here's to even more improvement, in your future!

Serious question, would Judo or Wrestling be better for cross training takedowns? I will only be able to go once every 2 weeks or so for now but I'd like to have at least one or two solid takedowns/throws.
    Both are tons of fun, in my opinion, but Wrestling can be applicable with or without the Gi. Judo often needs hefty modification for use in No-Gi matches. I'll recommend Wrestling.

--Joe

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 4:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on getting your blue!

I'd go with the one that had the better instructor.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on your Blue!

This seems like something your coach should be able to help you with. It may be that your schedule has conspired to make you miss the lessons where this was covered, or he hasn't addressed it in a while.

Try catching him before or after class and seeing if he could address it in class soon.

As for the other opportunities, I cannot speak with any authority on wrestling, but Judo has some very nice takedowns that will help you out. With your time constraints, however, you could end up with the same hit or miss situation on the other curriculum.

IMHO, I would try to address it at the BJJ school, as you will be more likely to make the classes where it is addressed, especially if your instructor knows you are interested in working on it.

YMMV.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 4:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What're your goals gi or no gi competition? or both

If just Gi Judo IMO but it takes more time to get really good

Congrats on your blue

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies guys. We do do takedowns in BJJ class but, as is probably the case in a lot of classes, not all that often.

I could do with taking classes that centre around takedowns/throws specifically to really get the practice in I need. It'd also be good to be able to practice being thrown a lot as I'm still terrified of landing badly.

I got thrown on my shoulder once and narrowly avoided surgery because the bone had only pushed into the tendon and not all the way through it.

Oh and at the moment, I would only be competing in Gi Comps.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 4:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do aikido haha seriously learning to get thrown is all its goof for but it is great at it.

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 4:59pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since it's a circle-jerk, I'll join Asriel and Joe. I got my brown belt (sankyu) 2 weeks ago. Woot.

I'll of course say Judo. Also because if you compete you can kick ass on both sides.

Judo comp - compete as usual, but if you catch your opponent on the ground he's screwed (decent referee pending).

BJJ comp - get them throws for pts and wows, plus a dominant position doesn't hurt.

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Self-Masturbatory".

Proving, once again, that redundancy is not only inevitable, it's also unavoidable.

Seriously, though, congratulations (and felicitations) on the blue.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 5:05pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's not about "which," it's about "who."
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast