Posted On:
    10/16/2008 9:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell
    about destroying teh knees,

i used to have to train with a guy when i still did sanda.
    this guy came from traditional kf background in which he was a high ranking instructor, nowadays he has his own school.

anyway, he would do those ´inward stamps´ on my knees, you see them a lot in kungfu forms.
    it hurts but it never snapped my knees, it only pissed me off and motivated me to hurt him even more.
    he also had more weight on me and his stamps were full on.
    so much for the stamp the knee theory.
    I had a guy kick me full on in the knee with one of those, I walked off the mat. I didn't want to break him.

Eventually I did.

I've argued they are check kicks. It is hard for many people to get a ton of power in that kick.

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 11:38am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much pressure can a knee actualy take though? I dont think knee striking sounds to far fetched. Also to an earlier post.. strikes to the joints are illegal in UFC. You are not allowed to kick to the knee.. thats why you dont see them.

With a side kick I was able to break 4 boards with no spacers. I dont train to break boards. Im sure with a few weeks, yes WEEKS of training to break them I could break more. If I applied that to your kneecap.. I would think you wouldnt be standing.

Does that realy sound so far fetched?

Every one of Bruce Lees sorry excuse for martial arts defense books went something like this

"Here we see bruce lee ___________ when he is attacked by a assialint who attacks him with a _______ . Bruce gets into a fighting stance and side kicks the attacker in the knee cap."

I swear it was a kick to the knee for every attack.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 11:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van
    Also to an earlier post.. strikes to the joints are illegal in UFC. You are not allowed to kick to the knee.. thats why you dont see them.
    False:
    http://www.state.nj.us/lps/sacb/docs/martial.html

Pedro Rizzo stopped Dan Severn with a kick to the knee at UFC 27. It was an MT round kick, though, not any kind of Kung Fu stamping craziness.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 12:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much pressure can a knee actualy take though? I dont think knee striking sounds to far fetched. Also to an earlier post.. strikes to the joints are illegal in UFC. You are not allowed to kick to the knee.. thats why you dont see them.

With a side kick I was able to break 4 boards with no spacers. I dont train to break boards. Im sure with a few weeks, yes WEEKS of training to break them I could break more. If I applied that to your kneecap.. I would think you wouldnt be standing.
    Yes, you think. I'll help you understand what we (myself and Lebell) were taling about.

Do you know what kick we are talking about? You just said "With a side kick....."

Quote Originally Posted by lebell
    ´inward stamps´
    Quote Originally Posted by IIF
    I had a guy kick me full on in the knee with one of those

Do you understand what we were commenting on now?

Does that really sound so far fetched?
    Side kick? No.
    MT Round Kick No.
    SHin Kick to the knee? No.

Still, are they as fragile as people in MA have been led to believe? No.

Now that you see what "we" were talking about yes. You have two examples (yes no proof) of their lack of effectiveness IMO.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/16/2008 12:10pm at .

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 12:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Yes, you think. I'll help you understand what we (myself and Lebell) were taling about.

Do you know what kick we are talking about? You just said "With a side kick....."

Do you understand what we were commenting on now?

Side kick? No.
    MT Round Kick No.
    SHin Kick to the knee? No.

Still, are they as fragile as people in MA have been led to believe? No.

Now that you see what "we" were talking about yes. You have two examples (yes no proof) of their lack of effectiveness IMO.
    Oh yah. For sure there is no way you are going to break anyones knee with one of those.

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    False:
    http://www.state.nj.us/lps/sacb/docs/martial.html

Pedro Rizzo stopped Dan Severn with a kick to the knee at UFC 27. It was an MT round kick, though, not any kind of Kung Fu stamping craziness.
    For some reason I thought strikes to the joints were not allowed with the new Gaming Commision rules.

I see they are not.

However, did you know that a heel kick to the kidneys is illegal? Its because it can kill you ten days later. No wonder McCain was scared.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 12:30pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    However, did you know that a heel kick to the kidneys is illegal? Its because it can kill you ten days later. No wonder McCain was scared.
    I was at the original event that McCain closed down in AZ.

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 12:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of all things why a "heel kick to the kidneys"

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 12:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kidney shots are bad.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2008 12:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD, FMA, Sub. Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a friend who is a serious advocate of teh deadly pressure points, palm 'nasal bone' into brain, and related bullshido. Provided, I've only taken two courses for A&P, but presumably it's enough to not be a complete retard. Conversations often go like this:
    A: "and if you hit them hard enough upwards with the palm strike, you can drive their nasal bones into their brain causing instantaneous death"
    B: "Er...were they bones, or cartilage? I'm pretty sur--"
    A: "How do YOU know? Have you tried striking those points? Have you seen them outside of the diagrams in class?"
    B: (facepalm)

HAVE YOU? I hate that argument, as unknowing to the user it applies back on them just as quickly, and not the first bullshidoka will admit it.

EDIT: Heel kick to the kidneys; in early UFC's, or even during a Gracie challenge, you might see Royce kicking the opponent in the kidneys with his heels while they are in his guard. He used it to wear people down, it looks like.

This one is just a swing out of nowhere, but I think that they probably made joint strikes illegal in the UFC for the sole purpose of protecting their prime athletes. I mean, even if it doesn't do damage or disable you right away, if you got kicked in the knees nearly EVERY SINGLE FIGHT in your professional career, that has got to be asking for some kind of chronic stress problem on the joints, or even a torn ligament or something career-ending.
    Last edited by KITAmaru; 10/16/2008 1:01pm at .
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast