Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 5:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ForkLiftRacer
    Since I have very no experience in ground fighting and am just a newbie at this whole martial arts thing what you say seems logical.

From what I have seen though, if I could take Wing Chun and Jiu Jitsu and put them in a blender, I think I would end up with something pretty damn effectice (potentially).

If anyone knows of something like that let me know ok?
    Alan orr please look him up. He trains BJJ as a separate art (not well liked by the chunning community) and teaches WC.

MMA is made up of Striking (Usually a boxing Coach) Muay Thai (Usually a MT Coach) and Grappling (Usually a Purple or higher BJJ Coach).

No, not all gyms are the same. This TMA elitism ( I had it to) is what put many arts on the down slope. One art doesn't encompass all thing. The closest, so far, is MMA.

The two are completely different styles. They don't need to be blended at all. Onw is for standing one is for the ground. Yes, there is the clinch range, takedowns etc, but I'm talking basics right now.

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 5:46pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I have no experience in ground fighting and am just a newbie at this whole martial arts thing what you say seems logical.

From what I have seen though, if I could take Wing Chun and Jiu Jitsu and put them in a blender, I think I would end up with something pretty damn effectice (potentially).

If anyone knows of something like that let me know ok?
    Yeah its called enrolling in a Wing Chun Kwoon and then on the days you arent attending Wing Chun you enroll in a Jiu Jitsu Dojo.

most arts as far as I know in my experience specialize in one area either stand up striking or ground grappling. most legitimate arts might offer a smidgeon of the other stuff ie alot of Taekwondo dojangs do alittle wrist locks and takedowns and call it Hapkido.
    In Shotokan we teach sweeps but I wouldnt say we are a judo school.

maybe MMA might be more a combo but most traditional arts are usually one or the other

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu Joe
    Randy Williams' ground fighting, eh?

http://www.woma.tv/woma/channels/7580/movies/2332.html

He shows a shitty version of a Scissor Sweep, but overcomplicates it by trying to force the action to fit into the Wing Chun forms. His hips are too far past his opponent, and he scissors in too high on his opponent's thigh.

Oh, and you have to love that retarded Mount Escape-- it's awesome when my opponent gives me a free triangle choke... Especially when he could have just overhooked one of my arms and bridged to the right, instead of trying a half-assed method of getting out the back door.

And, of course, we can't have t3h Anti-Grapple without at least one strike to the spine! Let's squeeze that into those final three seconds!

--Joe
    I'm as shitty a creonting crappler as I could possibly be, but Jesus Christ almighty, there are so many things wrong with that video. Right off the bat at mark 2:46 with the dude simulating punches from the guard, that dude is already a goner with that shitty posture.

Williams defense of the "hand" choke at mark 3:27s is also ridiculous as he describes it. There are other, more effective things to do right there and then, and yet he chooses to go that route to explain, to "re-engineer" as he puts it, to justify his "re-engineering".

One doesn't re-engineer things unless to 1) improve it, or 2) for aesthetic purposes. Williams might think he's doing it for the former, but in reality, it's for the later. There is a big, mega-ass difference between integrating jits into a striking art and making a caricature of jits so that it fits some theory of striking.

Next in the "Word of Martial Arts", I'll redefine chemistry in terms of macro-economic theory.

The thing that irks me the most is that Mr. Williams keep referencing how his book addressed ground fighting "in the 80's." Jesus man, if I had written a book, and I feel it's important to make a reference to it, at the very least, I'd mention both the title name as well as the precise year it was published...

... or maybe a crustacean up my ass is making me picky I dunno.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2008 5:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you published that book and knew you were grossly exaggerating, you wouldn't name the book either.

I know, from an article I recently found, one of these so called grappling books was published in 1989.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    10/04/2008 8:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha pak sao scissor sweep WATTAAAH! Haaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha. Ok yeah, you learn that ground fighting...

<pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftsnickersni ckersnicker>
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 3:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: I don't do anything now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the hell do you guys feel the need to bash Randy Williams???????

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 3:32pm

Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this thread is like 4 months old...

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 3:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the hell do you guys feel the need to bash Randy Williams???????
    Because his scissor sweep sucks, his technique is totally off.

And the associations he made to wing chun techniques are loose.

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 5:37pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    12/24/2008 5:42pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what I love about guys like the OP? They are willing to admit that most fights tend to go to the ground, but state staying on the ground is dangerous for probability of a knife. While completely ignoring the fact that styles such as BJJ and wrestling are best for these situations seeing as how the styles teach to manuever while on the ground, take the dominant position, thus leading a quicker escape to get the fight to stand up if opponent does have a weapon.
    Oh well, I guess chain punching seems to be the end all, be all of techniques for these guys.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314