Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It just might be better for your nose, if there wasn't always coffee or cola coming out of it.

That's all
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what you posted it didn't seem like they dismissed Gracie ground fighting outright. In fact they even say it is very good for ground fighting, true. They then say you might want to know more than just grappling (ie. cross training) because there may be times when going to the ground isn't advantageous. Sounds reasonable to me. Seems like they try and teach a combination of striking (hands and feet) as well as other manipulative techniques. Ju Jitsu was originally just such an eclectic art (from what I know) and they may be trying to return to this. Whether or not their particular techniques suck is a different matter (I didnít look).
    If no art is the be all end all, something that is frequently mentioned here, then why get angry when someone points that out about a highly publicized and popularized style (is it one you practice?)?
    By the way does anyone here actually want to go to the ground if its covered with glass or other debris. This has always seemed like a reasonable thing to avoid to me!

This is nothing to do with the Gracies, as I've said 100 times, it's to do with effective techniques. I just put that piece of writing up to show how they try to dismiss groundfighting with the old multiple attackers and glass on the floor bullshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 5:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to the site, im just upset that the nerdy Shy girl just flashed her bra and no boobs.....

:(

Posted On:
    10/23/2002 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DJ Coldfusion is too funny! Hilarious Dude! A god sense of humour!

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2002 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Freddy.

Come on guys, sure their weapon defenses are crap. But so are most of the weapon defenses of the VAST majority of TMA schools. Weapons use and style has evolved and the majority of TMAs have not. Accept this school for what it is, a slightly whacky university club that practices TMA.

And as far as their effectiveness, have you ever looked at Gracie stand-up defenses? If you have then you understand why they like to work on the ground. And the multiple attacker/glass on the ground debate is not crap . . . its called the real world.

I had a BJJ instructor try to explain why you couldn't fight multiple attackers through a description of a personal experience of his. Basically, he was in Los Angeles when two guys approached him and demanded his wallet or they would deliver an ass whooping. My former instructor took the closest guy down, gained the mount and started punding the hell out of bad guy #1.

Bad guy #2 then proceeded to stab my former instructor in the back. The instructor lost his wallet, his shoes, and a lung (literally, it had to be removed). This is why, according to him, you couldn't fight multiple attackers.

To me the story was the perfect illustration as to why you NEVER want to go to the ground against multiple opponents. And from my own research, you are more likely to face multiple opponents in the real world than an individual attacker. You need to do ground work, but you should stay away from it at all costs when someone attacks you on the street.

Titan

Posted On:
    10/25/2002 5:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes the Gracies "self defence" stuff is utter ****, I never said it wasn't, I do not blindly follow the Gracies like fool. However I believe their ground techniques to be the best you can get.

None of this changes the fact that these McJitsu students are being taught ineffective techniques that WILL get them hurt if they try to use them.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2002 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, and my point is that the Gracie selfdefense stuff (standup) is equally as bad as anything the above University group has proposed.

Additionally, McJitsu or not, they are right about fighting on the ground in a selfdefense situation . . . its a bad idea.

And don't think I am trying to hack on the BJJ or the Gracies in general (althouh I have always hated Ralph) I still study BJj, I think BJJ rocks, but it isn't everything and just because a Gracie says something, it doesn't make that utterance infalable holy scripture.

And, that drinking game for each new rank kicks ASS!!!

Titan

Posted On:
    10/25/2002 11:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Yes, and my point is that the Gracie selfdefense stuff (standup) is equally as bad as anything the above University group has proposed.

Yes, I know, that's why I said the Gracie self defence stuff was **** and I don't blindly follow the Gracies like a fool.

This still does not change the fact that those techniques are ineffective, and will get the students hurt. It doesn't make any difference whether the Gracies happen to do the same techniques or not.

Edited by - slj on October 25 2002 11:25:21
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12