Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 6:43pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stupid Physical experiment I did.

So I am standing in a gym 3 weeks ago, looking at the friking place. Bench press or pushups. Paper or plastic. you know....
    So something hit me. Why don't I sacrifice myself to exercise and post about it later.

For the next three weeks I did this.
    Left hand 3 sets of one arm pushups and right hand 3 sets of one arm dumbell bench presses. My pushups are 8 reps, 7 reps, 5 reps. I know somebody will say he can do 20 or whatever, but with what form? I did them with good form.
    I used 50 lb dumbell so I did also 8,7,5 reps. I could have done more, but it's cool. I stopped there.
    I did this for 3 week. Three times a week.
    Guess what. Last night I tested myself.
    I did 10 left arm pushup. I did 14 right arm. Go figure. I did five and half left arm presses with a dumbell and eleveln with right arm.
    What freaked me out is that I did not even do any right arm pushups and I did more.

So two conclusions.
    1. My left side is weaker. I don't know if it is.
    2. Pushups sucks and I should only lift weights now.

????????????????????????????????????????????????

Ok let me have it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 6:54pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure man. Neat stuff. Gotta love the pushups though, can drop down and slam out a set while you're microwaving a bowl of pasta.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to lift weights a lot. I got my bench press up to 405lbs. I was stoked and always bragging about it. When ever I was at RRT (rapid response team) training we would have contests and I would beat everyone. Well, then we got a new Regional Director and he changed all the standards. Now instead of maxing out bench press, we had to max out pushups. I figured I had it in the bag for obvious reasons.

I was wrong. I was in the bottom of the pack. I couldn't believe it. So I got pissed and devoted my self to pushups for about 6 months. I made it back to the top of the pack.

Cool thing was that one day, we were screwing off at practice and wanted to see how much everyone could bench. I could still get 365lbs. Been doing pushups ever since!!!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One armed push-ups and one armed DB pressing aren't really similar exercises, so I don't quite know what this experiment intended to prove. Same thing with your bench press or push-ups=paper or plastic. Aside from the fact that they're horizontal pressing, they still have some pretty drastic differences.

What I don't understand is the false dichotomies that happen here. Why is it always push-ups OR bench press? Why not, push-ups AND bench press? Why not a properly periodized and structured/organized training plan that includes movements that benefit your training towards your overall goal?

There's no perfect movement. Don't try to find it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 11:34pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am convinced that push ups and BP are totally different exercises. I can do 70 push ups in a set, but I have a tough time bench pressing my own weight ...

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 4:35am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eamvas...the sound of reason.

Neither is a substitute for the other. They a complimentary exercises in that they work similar movements and are horizontal presses and training in one could help the other, but thats it. Different exercise and different uses.

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 6:19am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your'e Right handed you're more than likely gonna be able to get more from the right side.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 7:33am

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends also how you did the push ups and the dumbell press. You know elbows out in, etc. I don't think the core works when you do the bench press, but it works on one arm push up.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 10:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everybody, pay attention... If you want to do a n=1 study, make sure you establish a clear picture of the "before" before you start working on the "after".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 12:15pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    One armed push-ups and one armed DB pressing aren't really similar exercises, so I don't quite know what this experiment intended to prove. Same thing with your bench press or push-ups=paper or plastic. Aside from the fact that they're horizontal pressing, they still have some pretty drastic differences.

What I don't understand is the false dichotomies that happen here. Why is it always push-ups OR bench press? Why not, push-ups AND bench press? Why not a properly periodized and structured/organized training plan that includes movements that benefit your training towards your overall goal?

There's no perfect movement. Don't try to find it.
    Don't try to introduce logic or variation here. You can't do more than one thing. There has to be one way to do it that's the best way!! Don't you see?! One of them has to be better!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Everybody, pay attention... If you want to do a n=1 study, make sure you establish a clear picture of the "before" before you start working on the "after".
    TheRuss wins the thread. Your experiment shows nothing because you didn't have a clear "before" picture. Try doing a rep test before starting the experiment next time to get more objective results.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast