Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 6:00pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gi burn/rash

Hey guys.

About a month ago, I got a rash over my chest/arms the day after a national judo squad training session. I assumed that it was some kind of gi-burn. After a week I went to the GP and he said it wasn't a gi-rash (I'm still pretty sure it is) and gave me some cream which didn't work.

Basically my question is how long do gi burns generally take to clear up, and what's the best way to deal with them? I'm still training and it flares up after judo sessions.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wear a rashguard and TAKE A SHOWER YOU FILTHY BUGGER!

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't wear a rashguard unless I'm practicing no-gi, but I make sure the mats are clean and I wash my gi and shower as soon as I get home, every single time.

If that means you need to buy another or a couple more gis, so be it. Feels better than whatever you've got.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 12:28am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not wear a t-shirt under your gi?

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 1:07am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cuz it's Judo and you just don't do that.

My gi-burns usually don't last more than a few days. A week would be a really bad one.

Does the burn still cause discomfort? Or do you just not like the sight of it? For burns (gi, mat, and/or sun) I usually use A+D Ointment
    http://www.myadbaby.com/products.html

It's usually for babies but it works WONDERS on my burns.

If you still have the burn, for now I say wear a rashgaurd underneath. If it's just for practice, explain it to your instructor and I'm sure they'll understand.

On an aside I'd just like to take this perfect opportunity to mention that tonight was the first time I EVER wore a rashguard under my gi. I finally understand what all you BJJ nuts are talking about. IT WAS HEAVEN!!! :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 11:03am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it against the rules or something that you can't wear a t-shirt or rashguard under your gi in Judo? I can see that in comps but who cares if its training?

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 11:13am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it's against the rules for competition. But a little Underarmour for training makes a scary amount of good sense. With that being said, some more traditional Judo clubs aren't always knowns for their good sense, and it might not be allowed.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JabCrossHook
    Basically my question is how long do gi burns generally take to clear up, and what's the best way to deal with them? I'm still training and it flares up after judo sessions.
    Depend on the severity of the burn. Once I forgot to bring my kneepads and the friction of my gi pants (and the mat) caused some nasty burns on my knees that took over a week to heal. If I had used neosporin and liquid band aid right then and there, that **** would have healed a lot faster.

It goes without saying that constant friction will slow down the healing process. If it's a minor burn, you can just suck it up, but if it's an abrassion, you need to stop all contact and friction over it. You can get an infection from that ****.

Apply neosporin regularly and apply liquid bandaid before rolling (coat that **** with it.) Wear CLEAN AND DRY rashguards/long-sleeve t-shirts (or at least t-shirts and elbow wraps) and knee wraps under your gi.

If it's an abrassion take a few days off training and apply a lot of liquid bandaid, a lot until that **** heals.

Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    wear a rashguard and TAKE A SHOWER YOU FILTHY BUGGER!

^^^ Word.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of liquid bandage do you use (paint-on, spray-on, drip-on)? And how much do you wind up paying for it?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    What kind of liquid bandage do you use (paint-on, spray-on, drip-on)? And how much do you wind up paying for it?
    I use this, which costs about $6:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...ump&navCount=3

I keep one in my bagpack and another one at home. There is enough in those little bottles to cover a very large abrasion with multiple coats several times a day.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast