Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 9:47am

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Work Visa for a blackbelt

As the bjj program is in limbo, due to the instructor leaving. We are trying to figure out what to do.

We, being the high ranking students, decided to looking into get a Brazilian Blackbelt from Brazil a work Visa so he could move here and teach.

I was wondering if anyone else has gone through the process or has any helpful info on how this works?

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 10:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try contacting "Oaklandbjj.com" If I have my story correct, a group of Eduardo Rocha's students so badly wanted him to stay in the US that they opened up a gym for him.

I heard this third/fourth hand so I might not have it all straight but send them an email, couldn't hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 12:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not an immigration lawyer, but I have been in the US for 10 years on various types of visas.

Assuming he has no family here or other ways to get a visa, he might be able to go after an O-1 visa.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-1_visa

The catch is he has to be able to prove "extraordinary ability". If he has won major international comps: Worlds, Pan-Ams, etc, given seminars internationally, etc.; he would have a chance. Basically, the more awesome and well known he is, the better his chances at an O-1.

This site actually refers to a case where a martial arts coach got an O-1: http://www.hooyou.com/news/news110207O-1.html

You need to get a list of documented or provable accomplisments (just a BB is not good enough) and show it to a good immigration lawyer. Get a couple opinions because a lot of immigration lawyers are ****.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 12:18pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a green card which I got through a labor certification process. You can apply for this when the employer can show that none of the US applicants for a position are as well qualified as a non-US citizen.

Corporations and universities use this all the time, and your school may be able to argue that having advertised in the appropriate places and interviewed a range of candidates, your Brazillian instructor was simply better qualified than all the others. If the job description is carefully designed, it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm not an immigration lawyer, though, or any kind of lawyer for that matter. I do know that immigration costs can run into thousands, and if you want to be able to tempt someone from abroad, you'd probably have to cover at least some of that expense.

Good luck with it all.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 12:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel sorry for the OP. Dealing with Brazilian beuracracy is a pain in the ass. My gym went through the same thing OP's did. Our brazilian black belt instructor went to Mundials then had to leave the country because his visa expired. It took 6 months (my coach hired a lawyer) to get him back in the country.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glf
    I do know that immigration costs can run into thousands, and if you want to be able to tempt someone from abroad, you'd probably have to cover at least some of that expense.
    quoted for truth. plan on spending at least $5k if not more, just on legal fees.

if you have someone in mind, and they are interested, your next step should be to find a good lawyer, especially one who specializes in immigration law.

the process will be a long one, and it will be difficult as well.

good luck.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 1:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Length of time, cost, and difficulty all depends on the visa type.

H1: Difficult, expensive, requires labour certification (proof that an American cannot do the job), therefore take a lot of time and money. Labor cert can take months to a year. It's good for 3 years and can be renewed.

Green Card: Like H1 only x 10. Takes 1-4 years (or more) unless you win the Green Card lottery that some countries participate in. Practically good for ever. Mine cost my company around $15000.

TN: Only works for Canada and Mexico. Easy as pie if you qualify. The first one cost me $1800. There is no wait time, you do it at the port of entry. The next one, I did the paperwork myself and it cost me $50.

O-1: Mentioned above. I think the wesite mentioned a matter a few month to process. But you will definitely want a good lawyer. The shorter wait time is why I reccomended it. Don't know how much it might cost.
    Last edited by Nihonto; 9/30/2008 1:07pm at .

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 2:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for those who know better than me, would getting a Brazillian who was -say- a Canadian resident be easier?

I know that depending on the country of origin, the process can go from Kafkaesque to insane...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 9:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    for those who know better than me, would getting a Brazillian who was -say- a Canadian resident be easier?

I know that depending on the country of origin, the process can go from Kafkaesque to insane...
    A Canadian citizen - maybe. There may be something the NAFTA visas (i.e. TNs). This is the undisputed guru of getting Canadians into the U.S. http://www.grasmick.com/ But he is way overpriced.

A Canadian resident, but Brazilian citizen - No, makes no difference.

Posted On:
    9/30/2008 9:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting stuff. Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast