Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 12:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Creatine and weight gain

I normally float around and even 175 lb +/- 2 depending on where I am between meals.

I recently added creatine supplement to my diet. I took advice from others and started out by "loading" 4 tsp a day for 4 days and then backed down to 2 for a few days, and then just one.

Other than make me **** funny, it also made my weight jump up. Within a week of doing this I was back up in the low 180s. I haven't done anything else to my training or diet. I am even grappling more than normal 4-5 times a week. I don't really notice any strength gain either, but its hard to tell at this point.

Is this a normal side affect of creatine loading? Does it make you retain water or something?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 12:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihonto
    Is this a normal side affect of creatine loading? Does it make you retain water or something?
    Yes. It's an equilibrium thing. The creatine is absorbed into the muscle cells, increasing the concentration of dissolved substances in the sarcoplasm. The concentration is restored to normal levels by absorption of more water.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 7:51pm

Style: Jiu Jits, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness2.htm

This is a really good site if you are looking into size / strength gains.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 11:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertad
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness2.htm

This is a really good site if you are looking into size / strength gains.
    Great article on creatine. Thanks for that. Sounds like I really should be supplementing with glutamine too. Problem is all of the example supplement schedules assume you are a bodybuilder. I suppose I could replace the HIT training in their programs with my MA, and it could be comparable.

If I do 4-5 x 1.5-2 hour grappling sessions a week there is no way I can do more than 2 full body lifting work-outs on top of it. Tried to do it and failed. Sure I could if I was in my 20's, but I'm 37.

I was able to do the Rippetoe starting strength program, which is 3 full lifting work-outs a week, but I was only grappling 2-3 times a week at that time.

Bottom line is that I am always guessing when it comes to this stuff. Books help, but to be honest, the best information I have gotten is from this site. I wish someone would publish a good book on martial arts specific training programs.

Posted On:
    9/29/2008 1:33am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm so creatine adds water weight? Good to know if you fight at all. I was thinking of using the stuff too since i have a way to get it cost-price, but if it adds 5+ pounds straight off the bat i'm not so sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2008 9:13am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It shouldn't really matter if you are fighting. Sure it will make you put on some weight but it's nothing you can't lose in a week or two. hell, probably a couple days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 6:05pm

Style: tkdmdk,bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i recently started hitting the weights hard again after an 8 month layoff.i'm 37 too and weigh 175.i started creatine about 2 months ago.
    first off,i didn't load for 5 days,just 1 scoop(5 grams)a day.it took about 2 weeks for the results to start showing.my bench went up 25 lbs in a week,and i was stronger in all other exercises.i went from about a 185 max bench to 275 in 3 months.my weight has stayed between 175 and 180 the whole time.
    i've been training differently than i have before though.i do 1/2 hr cardio when i wake up,lift 40 min 5 days a week,take ma class a few nights a week and kickbox 1 hour a week.i've also been doing 1 bodypart per day instead of 2-3.
    i hope this helps you.i use celltech hardcore,and sometimes some protein.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    10/01/2008 6:34pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a tournament coming up in a couple of weeks so I just cut the creatine. It's a small local tournament, so there aren't clear weight divisions (more of a group em by weight thing) so I'm not aiming for anything in particular. I'm curious how much (if any) weight I will drop. But I'll let y'all know.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 7:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing/MACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    muscle cell hydration - the extent of fluid inside the muscle cell.

The more fluid inside the muscle cell, the larger the muscle cell will be. Muscle tissue is approximately 70% water. Increasing fluid volume just a few percent can have a big impact on muscle size, tone, strength and theoretically protein and amino acid turnover. This leads to short and long term muscle growth.

This is why people see a weight gain with the loading phase, and also why creatine is such a good natural supp. for strength and size gains.

As far as making you "**** funny" try micronized creatine. Micronized creatine has smaller particle size so you get quicker digestion and faster utilization. What that means is no shitting funny.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 10:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. Definitly want the MICRONIZED MONOHYDRATE creatine. It works the best. All the others are just gimmicks to make you buy certain brands.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast