Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Duck-Under Set-up for the Flying Triangle

this is my favorite way to hit the flying triangle. It looks difficult, but it's actually quite easy; I honestly think the hardest part is hitting the duck-under. Just takes a little practice and good timing. Once you get it down it's near impossible to see coming.

YouTube - flying triangle off the Duck under

People generally expect a suplex, takedown, or attempt for hooks after the duck under, and the general pre-emptive movements they make to defend those techniques makes the triangle even easier to hit.
    Last edited by M-Tri; 9/28/2008 12:58pm at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 12:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've rolled with him before.

And I just realized "M-Tri" stands for Mikey Triangles...should have caught that.
    Last edited by AA_Punk; 9/28/2008 12:22pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2008 9:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn cool Mikey. Thanks for that.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/29/2008 12:07am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You switch your hips in mid air. That is a skill that takes a bit of practice.

That's one of the most unorthodox entries to the flying triangle I've ever seen.

Well done.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2008 9:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    You switch your hips in mid air.
    That made me go "hmmmmmm" as well. Your momentum is going pretty hard to the left when you combine the duck-under to that side with throwing your left leg over the back; but then you have to throw the right leg hard enough to switch your hips so that you have at least started to angle to the left side of the guys neck by the time you hit the ground.

The only thing I saw to make this happen was the grip on the back of the collar which you keep throughout the entire technique.

Mikey, how often have you had this work under full resistance? against beginners/whites? against blues/purples?

I will be giving this a try this week to see for myself; but, from past experience, if I don't fully commit to the duck-under and turn the corner it turns into a scramble. Particularly with wrestlers. With this, it seems that you need to stop short of fully committing to the shot in order to hit the triangle set-up.

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/29/2008 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    That made me go "hmmmmmm" as well. Your momentum is going pretty hard to the left when you combine the duck-under to that side with throwing your left leg over the back; but then you have to throw the right leg hard enough to switch your hips so that you have at least started to angle to the left side of the guys neck by the time you hit the ground.

The only thing I saw to make this happen was the grip on the back of the collar which you keep throughout the entire technique.

Mikey, how often have you had this work under full resistance? against beginners/whites? against blues/purples?

I will be giving this a try this week to see for myself; but, from past experience, if I don't fully commit to the duck-under and turn the corner it turns into a scramble. Particularly with wrestlers. With this, it seems that you need to stop short of fully committing to the shot in order to hit the triangle set-up.

Believe it or not I've had more trouble hitting it on white belts. Sometimes when I do the duck-under to a white belt they fall to the ground like a lifeless sack of **** for some reason... that kinda ruins the technique. Other then that the hardest part for me is hitting the clean duck under. when I get a clean duck under the success rate is pretty damn good (lol, except the brown belt that caught my foot mid transition, but it was a sloppy duck-under).

See experienced grapplers generally expect either a takedown or an attempt at hooks immediately following the duck-under, so they generally react with the same pre-emptive movements (defend takedown/defend hooks), but this makes the move that much easier... the only thing that sucks is the window of oppurtunity is very short and requires good timing, you really have to go into it right away.

Here's a good example I have to mention. I taught this move to the white belt in that video with me, and he has a strong wrestling background. The very next day I was working with him and he hit me with a duck-under, so expecting a big takedown attempt I go to wrap the leg and threaten with a kneebar... but for some reason his leg wasn't there, and all of a sudden I'm defending an extremely well-locked triangle. Now I was going slow, but did not see it coming at all, and I had been hitting this for a while, so if I couldn't see it coming I highly doubt many people will.

Also I think I mentioned earlier that it looks harder then it is. my grip and the momentum I get from swinging off the leg on his back do all the work for me, all I really have to worry about is catching my shin as it comes around. The actual conscious hip-movement is minimal as you'll see if you try it.
    Last edited by M-Tri; 9/29/2008 11:23am at .
    FACT- Eddie Bravo invented the triangle choke when he used it to tap out helio gracie at an ac/dc concert.

www.AlanBelcherMMAClub.com

facebook.com/ABMMA