Administrator

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 6:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KayDeePee
    At my last gym, this guy came in and asked questions about the gym. He asked about the style, classes, and belt ranks. The MT instructor told him that there's no belts in MT and BJJ is no-gi and doesn't follow a belt structure. The guy goes on a rant about the importance of discipline and having a hiearchy. Eventually, he walked out. The best part about the guy was that he was homeless.
    Oh I could tell you stories about the homeless "Masters" at my school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 6:49pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KayDeePee
    At my last gym, this guy came in and asked questions about the gym. He asked about the style, classes, and belt ranks. The MT instructor told him that there's no belts in MT and BJJ is no-gi and doesn't follow a belt structure. The guy goes on a rant about the importance of having a hiearchy and a belt system. He said that every martial art has to follow a rank/belt structure. Eventually, he walked out. The best part about the guy was that he was homeless.
    There's a guy that comes by every now and then, one of the more experienced guys refers to him as Sling Blade (guy's a total redneck and sounds just like Karl from the movie). Every month or so he'll come in and watch, telling us about how he'd join if we had some better 'wrasslers.'

"I like de way dat you talk."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Oh I could tell you stories about the homeless "Masters" at my school.

Do tell.

Happy birthday to me.

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Bocksing, ngBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IiF: This guy wasn't even a "wandering master". He didn't make any claims about being awesome, just he knows what's needed in MAs. I'm pretty sure he came in to start talking to the girl working at the front desk.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 7:07pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hehe.. I guess this story shows that average joe's don't know so much about martial arts:)

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 7:11pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We havent had visiting "masters" in the gym... Once we had a wrestling coach come over and say hi ti the guys, coz he's next door to us so...

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 9:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On one side I see this:

A stuck up arrogant father who missed a few things from the Taekwondo tenets.
    Courtesy
    Integrity
    Self-control

He should not be judging something that he knows little of.

On the other hand I see that some of you discount the tradition as nonsense because it wouldn't help you punch somebody's face. For those of you who said this congratulations in missing the main idea in doing so.

There are a lot of traditions found in the military most would find irrelevant and unnecessary. Those traditions are still there yet the military still functions effectively. Fighting is not the only reason people take martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    On the other hand I see that some of you discount the tradition as nonsense because it wouldn't help you punch somebody's face. For those of you who said this congratulations in missing the main idea in doing so.

There are a lot of traditions found in the military most would find irrelevant and unnecessary. Those traditions are still there yet the military still functions effectively. Fighting is not the only reason people take martial arts.
    Earlier I was tempted to mention the military and the usefulness of some of the traditions and how various aspects apply just fine to most martial arts, some of which our fellow forum members are disregarding (see: respect, self-discipline, etc) for the very reasons you mentioned as the thread was starting to get more of a '**** the system' message than the direction I had originally intended:

Share your experiences in martial arts with people that have no experience and no reason to criticize schools for things they personally think they should have. For example, my experience with Dr. McDojo-Lover and his less sparring more bowing mentality.

If you don't like an aspect of a school and it's a make or break deal, whether it's something like sparring or something like respect - leave, I assure you, it's not going to change for you.

I kind of want to change the thread title to: "People don't know jack **** and are often rude enough to clue us in...how about you?"

I guess the gist of what I'm saying is that Omega beat me to the punch when it comes to what I wanted to say.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    On one side I see this:

A stuck up arrogant father who missed a few things from the Taekwondo tenets.
    Courtesy
    Integrity
    Self-control
    For those not from a TKD background, let me add my two cents:

TKD has five tenets that I believe if followed, are fairly universal of the martial spirit: Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, Indomitable Spirit.

However the original intent was, for most schools I have seen these have become must-have memorization answers for testing purposes, and not every day training values. That's a personal observation on my part, it may just be that every time I see a TKD school it's a mcdojo. I just wish more schools in general took what they do more seriously.

</rant>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2008 10:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This conversation is getting good. All right people, c'mon, let's share experiences.
    So this one time...
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast