224698 Bullies, 4020 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 12:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you talking any version of this kick? (The guy in the video sucks hard!)
    YouTube - pande dollyo chage
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 12:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kf fighter
    i agree with kidspatula...

for both kicks...
    You're right, we should never do anything in sparring except the same basic ~10 techniques because they're the safest and highest percentage. That will never get boring after 10-20-30 years.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 12:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    You're right, we should never do anything in sparring except the same basic ~10 techniques because they're the safest and highest percentage. That will never get boring after 10-20-30 years.

You can play around with whatever stupid gimmicky moves you like and that's just fine. Doesn't make them any less stupid. And besides, beating people up never gets boring.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 12:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont be like that...

I just have no idea what you were trying to explain..

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 12:51am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    It has some similarities, but that guy is turning his leg/hips over and his head all the way around so the kick comes across. I think he's just trying to do a spinning hook kick and he's just dipping his body to help himself get the kick up.

On a swing kick your knee is pointed downwards and you're looking over the kicking shoulder like a textbook back kick. The kick is coming upwards in an arc, not across. Also like a back kick, you're just doing a 180 degree pivot into it; it's not a spin-all-the-way-around-and-through circular type of kick.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 1:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It has some similarities, but that guy is turning his leg/hips over and his head all the way around so the kick comes across. I think he's just trying to do a spinning hook kick and he's just dipping his body to help himself get the kick up.

On a swing kick your knee is pointed downwards and you're looking over the kicking shoulder like a textbook back kick. The kick is coming upwards in an arc, not across. Also like a back kick, you're just doing a 180 degree pivot into it; it's not a spin-all-the-way-around-and-through circular type of kick.
    Ok idont know why but i went and tried to understand your other post..

YouTube - How To Do a Double Leg : Double Leg: Reverse Crescent KickYouTube - Taekwondo Kicks : Taekwondo Reverse Crescent Kick

Is this it?

(no embedding)

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 10:35pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not high % but it's not as low % as I think you imagine, because it's specifically a counter to certain things. The only thing that keeps it from being good is that it's too high risk, forcing you to recover from giving up your back with your opponent right on top of you. It hits hard and that goes a long way towards not being stupid (stupid is more like a snap side kick). You'll also look like the fucking man when you do it and people watching will go nuts which tips it over the edge towards not-stupid, but still not good.

I don't bitch when boxers hold their heads in crazy positions because their rulesets lets them do stuff like that. I don't care if pure grapplers do certain things that work great vs. each other but not in mma. I appreciate watching the different types of fights & techniques those rulesets create. Just because it doesn't work in mma doesn't make it stupid. It would probably work fine in something like savate or american kickboxing by a good athlete.

TLDR version: It's a niche, inbred technique, but not stupid.

Edit: Also, the above video is point-for-point the opposite of my description you quoted.
    Last edited by maofas; 11/04/2008 12:19am at .

Posted On:
    10/30/2008 11:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omA6Ue1w3Fs
    You know, watching it again, if you look at his body/leg positioning at the early 4s mark (by estimated 4.3 or so he's turned it into a hook kick) that looks like it's about to be a swing kick. I think he's trying to do a hook, and his body lagged behind , which is why you said it looked like a bad kick (or so I guess, I really don't do spinning hook kicks). If he let his body stay behind, and actually dipped it to add some lever action, his knee stayed down the whole time and the foot swungs up (not across) with a lower leg snap back motion bringing the heel up, THAT would be a swing kick.
    Last edited by maofas; 11/04/2008 12:18am at .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345